AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Aurender

Aurender Reference Music Servers

Old 04-03-2018, 12:21 AM

I would suspect that the DAC section in the 205 is far superior to the DAC in the MX122 to start with. If you have the option i would only use the HDMI for Video and use the XLR output from the 205 for audio. In the end the MX122 may be the "bottleneck" in your whole system. I know if may be sacrilege but maybe you need to try another brand of HT processor that allows for pure analog input from you OPPO or from a combo of the N100 and a quality DAC like the Yiggy or others.
Old 04-03-2018, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
I'm using HDMI out of the oppo to the MX122. Otherwise a double or triple DAC conversion takes place. My Mc rep said that all analog is converted to digital, then back to analog again in the theater processors.

I have MX121. If I connect the XLR output of 105D to XLR input of MX121, and enable pure direct mode, there won’t be AD/DA conversions.
Old 04-03-2018, 01:30 AM
Ultra-Fast 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Mouse.......With the Oppo UDP-203 and UDP-205 you are obliged to use their internal DAC's unless you are routing the digital signal to an outboard DAC. With the N10 and N100H you are required to use an outboard DAC. Consequently, what you actually experience will always be a combination of the Aurender music server plus the DAC of choice. The question you ask cannot be answered in any meaningful way.

What I can tell you is my Aurender N10 feeding the Esoteric K-01X DAC is incredibly engaging. My Aurender N100H feeding the Schiit Audio Yggdrasil DAC is not far behind. For less than $5500, the latter combination is a serious digital package that will not disappoint you. Neither will the N10 and a premium DAC leave you wanting. Both are tremendous digital source components.

Mouse, my vote is to consider adding Dan’s pairing of the N100H and Yggdrasil, and recall Yggdrasil offers some type of return if not fully happy.

This will be cheaper then the N10 and leave some room towards consideration on cabling it up.
Old 04-03-2018, 11:51 PM

When the MX160's replacement comes out, I plan on upgrading then.
About 30 hours of constant streaming I've given it another listen.

It's getting better but.....
The buffering is bad. I have decent internet yet this player tends to stutter when I want it to play the most. It's like some MQA files just doesn't play well.
It's buggy, I've had an unresponsive app on my ipad at times. It's not a big deal, I just wanted to mention it. Swiping the app out and reopening it got it going again each time.
I'm a fan of the interface overall though.
Overall it sounds decent, until I play something from Amy Winehouse. Then I'm getting some extra distortion that doesn't belong in the song. I had this same distortion on my Nordost loom on day one, and it disappeared after a few days of break in. That distortion is back now. I'm sure in 49 hours it will go away lol.

I have a CD in my OPPO 205 with HDMI cable, and I'm streaming the same thing on the Aurender to A/B test it with RCA-type digital cable. I understand the MX122 might be the weak link, but so far I'm preferring the OPPO as a cd player. It's a tad bit clearer, but the A/B test is tough. It's a several second delay when toggling between and the volume Aurender is a couple notches louder which is distorting my perception. I'm imagining that after 49 hours the gap will be non existent, and a better cable will also take it further.

Do I want it? YES! But I don't know if I'm buying it yet. The interface is great, Tidal is well implemented, uploading music to the hard drive was so easy over the network (which was intimidating before the demo), but I can't get past the bugginess at this price level. Maybe it's just a setting, maybe it's a MQA bug, maybe it's my internet. I'll update tomorrow.
Old 04-04-2018, 12:06 AM

Mouse

The issues you are having in terms of the buffering and the music stuttering are coming from Tidal and they pop up periodically in different parts of the country as the result of their network servers and infrastructure being deficient during peak hours. The same issues started in my area last June and come and go. I have never had a similar issue with Spotify or Qobuz. I just cancelled my Tidal subscription after two years as they seem to have either no inclination to fix the problem or can't afford the infrastructure upgrade. I suspect if you try Tidal during the daytime "working" hours you won't have a problem as I never did only during peak hours. Strangely enough some parts of the country never have the problem and some always do. As to your "devotion" to Mc processors and their Prices then that is something you will have to resolve as their are other far more effective pieces at more attractive prices.

Also for the best sound run the the N10 through one of the Digital inputs on the Oppo and then connect the Oppo to the Mc using the XLR outputs set to Pure Direct on the Mc. You can still use the HDMI connection for video.

Last edited by JMD; 04-04-2018 at 12:20 AM.
Old 04-04-2018, 12:47 AM

Quote:
As to your "devotion" to Mc processors and their Prices then that is something you will have to resolve as their are other far more effective pieces at more attractive prices.
It's a home theater/music listening hybrid. It's not a dedicated 2 channel rig.
Old 04-04-2018, 01:07 AM

I understand that it is a hybrid system and i had one in my FR for 15 years before I converted it back to a 2.1 system. My point is that there are far more sophisticated and user friendly AV processors on the market than what McIntosh sells as "theirs" for much more reasonable prices that happen to sound better. They are "partnering" with other companies for these digital technologies that are outside the "scope" of their expertise which is why they have the issues they have with firmware upgrades and service on digital related products. If having the McIntosh "look" is more important to you than performance then you will have to learn to work around their product deficiencies. I have told you how to get around it with the Oppo and the Aurender as did Saphana. Whether or not you decide to take our advice or just listen to the dealer is up to you as he just wants to sell more gear. Also if you want the SVS subs to work for music then get them away from the corners of the room. I've owned several and while not a first choice for music they can be made to work well with placement.
Old 04-04-2018, 07:42 AM

Default I have a N10 on loan, and I expected more from it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
When the MX160's replacement comes out, I plan on upgrading then.
About 30 hours of constant streaming I've given it another listen.

It's getting better but.....
The buffering is bad. I have decent internet yet this player tends to stutter when I want it to play the most. It's like some MQA files just doesn't play well.
It's buggy, I've had an unresponsive app on my ipad at times. It's not a big deal, I just wanted to mention it. Swiping the app out and reopening it got it going again each time.
I'm a fan of the interface overall though.
Overall it sounds decent, until I play something from Amy Winehouse. Then I'm getting some extra distortion that doesn't belong in the song. I had this same distortion on my Nordost loom on day one, and it disappeared after a few days of break in. That distortion is back now. I'm sure in 49 hours it will go away lol.

I have a CD in my OPPO 205 with HDMI cable, and I'm streaming the same thing on the Aurender to A/B test it with RCA-type digital cable. I understand the MX122 might be the weak link, but so far I'm preferring the OPPO as a cd player. It's a tad bit clearer, but the A/B test is tough. It's a several second delay when toggling between and the volume Aurender is a couple notches louder which is distorting my perception. I'm imagining that after 49 hours the gap will be non existent, and a better cable will also take it further.

Do I want it? YES! But I don't know if I'm buying it yet. The interface is great, Tidal is well implemented, uploading music to the hard drive was so easy over the network (which was intimidating before the demo), but I can't get past the bugginess at this price level. Maybe it's just a setting, maybe it's a MQA bug, maybe it's my internet. I'll update tomorrow.

It’s the Aurender, not Tidal. Mine used to stutter too. You need to update. App is updated thru the Apple App Store app (likely up to date since you just brought home the N10). The N10 is updated via the conductor app. Go to settings, select update. This will solve your issue. Since I updated, I have not experienced a single Tidal stutter, MQA or otherwise. One thing the Aurender is not, is buggy. It’s simply the best interface available.

Preamp: McIntosh C1100T/C1100C, McIntosh MX180
Amp: McIntosh MC611 (2), MC601 (3), MI254
Digital: McIntosh D1100, McIntosh MCT450, Meridian 808v6, Aurender N20, Aurender ACS10, Oppo 203
Analog: McIntosh MT10, Hana Umami Red
Phono preamp: Simaudio Moon 610LP, 820S
Signal cables: WW Gold Eclipse 7 speaker cables; Shunyata Sigma v2 XLR (2); Sigma v1 XLR (2), Transparent Ref XL (MM2) XLR; WW Silver Eclipse 7 (4)
Digital cables: Shunyata Omega USB, Omega Ethernet, Sigma Ethernet; WW Platinum 7 Coax, AES/EBU
Switch: Innuos PhoenixNet
Power: Audioquest Niagara 7000, Audioquest 5000, Audioquest Dragon, Hurricane PC, Shunyata Alpha HC, AQ NRG Edison outlets, (8) 20 amp dedicated lines, 125 amp subpanel
Speakers: Wilson Sasha DAW, Dynaudio Contour 30, Dynaudio Contour 25C
Subs: REL s/812 (6), REL s/510 (3)
Accessories: HRS M3X2 shelf (MT10), Stillpoints Ultra II v2 w/ bases (21), Ultra SS (12), Mini (12), LPi v1
Sound treaments: Artnovion

Last edited by j3brow; 04-04-2018 at 07:44 AM.
Old 04-04-2018, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3brow View Post
It’s the Aurender, not Tidal. Mine used to stutter too. You need to update. App is updated thru the Apple App Store app (likely up to date since you just brought home the N10). The N10 is updated via the conductor app. Go to settings, select update. This will solve your issue. Since I updated, I have not experienced a single Tidal stutter, MQA or otherwise. One thing the Aurender is not, is buggy. It’s simply the best interface available.
I have not found this to be the case on my rig. Tidal is always stuttering - especially on MQA tracks, even after software upgrades.

I occasionally experience the same issues with Tidal at the office as well.
Audio Room: CH Precision I1, Esoteric k01XD, Lab 12 Melto 2, Luxman PD-171A TT, Roon Nucleus, Stenheim Alumine Three, Silversmith Fidelium speaker cables, Siltech 680 interconnects, Shunyata Sigma USB Cable, Audioquest Hurricane PCs, Shunyata Everest,CORE Design racks, Stein Harmonizers, HRS damping plates, Stillpoints and all that other silly stuff.

Office: Luxman L-595A SE, Diapason Neos speakers, HiFi Rose RS150B, Nordost Frey 2 Interconnects, Tellurium Q Silver speaker cables,
Old 04-04-2018, 09:03 AM

I don't believe Tidal has ever stuttered when I have ever played it through my N10 or before my N10 when I played it though my Oppo 103 or 105D. I have kept it updated when I remember but I have never had a problem with stuttering.

Harbeth 40.3 XD, Sound Anchor stands w/ Stillpoints, Luxman M900 & C900, Aurender N20, Jay's Audio CDT3 - MK3 CD player, Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC, Shunyata Everest, Altaira