AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Aurender

Aurender Reference Music Servers

Old 11-07-2016, 10:55 PM

Dan, I'm very close to pulling trigger on the N10. I've played with the N100 at a local dealer here for a while now, and really like the simplicity of use. He has it set up with D'Agostino Momentum's and Wilson Alexia's and it sounds fantastic. I very well may order one this week.

Aurender N10 / Ayre QX-5 Twenty / Ayre KX-R Twenty / Ayre MX-R Twenty / Wilson Sasha DAW / Isotek TITAN and EVO3 / Transparent Reference / Meze Empyrean
Old 11-07-2016, 11:09 PM

I see your point about the size factor. But I am going to over look it and just place it in the middle of the shelf. The sound is great and I believe it can't be beat for the price. Another factor is the Aurender Conductor App is good and the company updates constantly. You also will never run out of space because you can also use a NAS.
Old 11-07-2016, 11:46 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaboudreaux View Post
Dan, I'm very close to pulling trigger on the N10. I've played with the N100 at a local dealer here for a while now, and really like the simplicity of use. He has it set up with D'Agostino Momentum's and Wilson Alexia's and it sounds fantastic. I very well may order one this week.
Glenn.......I will be waiting to read your review once you have the Aurender N10 in your system.

I'll be making a decision soon but for now color me green with envy.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 11-07-2016, 11:47 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by rottikid View Post
I see your point about the size factor. But I am going to over look it and just place it in the middle of the shelf. The sound is great and I believe it can't be beat for the price. Another factor is the Aurender Conductor App is good and the company updates constantly. You also will never run out of space because you can also use a NAS.
rottikid.......Sounds like you are on the verge of bringing home the Aurender N100h music server. I'll be looking forward to what you have to say.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 11-08-2016, 03:17 AM

Dan,

Have you heard the Antipodes DX or DS? I did recently and was very impressed...

Old 11-08-2016, 09:28 AM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by KahunaCanuck View Post
Dan,

Have you heard the Antipodes DX or DS? I did recently and was very impressed...
Mike.......I have not looked into Antipodes. I will now. Thank you.

Old 11-08-2016, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
SCAudiophile.......I have looked at the Aurender W20 but the $17,600 price is a serious turnoff. The Aurender N10 offers much the same performance, full linear power supplies, OCXO clock generators, beautiful all aluminum case, OLED display, and identical software for $7999 configured with 4TB (2x2TB) internal storage plus 240GB SSD for cached playback. The N10 can also be configured with 8TB of hard drive internal storage (2x4TB) and the same 240 GB SSD for cached playback. I have seen a couple pre-owned N10 servers in the $5800 price range.

The Lampizator SuperKomputer does not appeal to me for several reason. Unlike the N10, the Lampizator SuperKomputer is built on an off the shelf Asus motherboard. It is essentially a personal computer, Intel CPU, sound card, and a linear power supply. The computer has been tweaked for music playback, but still must be connected to a keyboard and monitor for any setup changes. Its homely enclosure and face plate are reminiscent of an old horizontal desktop PC. Then there is the price, $6600. In my opinion the Lampizator SuperKomputer doesn't measure up to the competition at that price point.

The Esoteric N-05 Network player is an attractive device but I have no need for the AKM dual-mono DACs and additional analog outputs. For someone who needs a DAC for their NAS the N-05 could be just the ticket but not needing the DAC or wanting to pay for it, the $6500 price seems steep. If Esoteric removed the dual-mono DAC's and delivered the network player for two grand less, this might make it far more interesting.

There is also the SilenZio music server being offered by Audio by E here on Audio Aficionado. This hand-built customized music server has been well received by member/owners on this forum. It is a customized PC motherboard running an Intel CPU with Windows 10 software. The hand built server is assembled in a slim generic case and comes equipped with an internal slot loading transport for copying disc based music thus providing a convenient headless music server. Remote control is via WiFi and JRiver Remote running on an iPad. It is attractively priced under $3000 but requires additional investment in a NAS setup and multiple hard drives. The additional cost is determined by the extent of the NAS and its capacity.

Regarding ROON, I have no interest in that user interface. There are several other equally competent remote interfaces that suit my requirements without being clipped for $500. In particular, JRiver Remote works just fine for me and seamlessly controls JRiver Media Center 21 on my Sony Vaio laptop.

One of the reasons the Aurender N10 strikes my fancy is the one box solution with internal storage. No NAS is required, plus the hard drives cache to the 240 GB SSD for playback while the hard drives sleep after a three minute period. The Linux based OS appeals to me more than the Windows 10 OS. I also like the OCXO clock generator that controls the timing accuracy of the coaxial output. I find the OLED display to be useful, unique and well implemented, plus the ability to control the Aurender N10 with the buttons on its face is a real bonus. The aluminum enclosure is remarkably attractive. The close tolerance fit and finish appeals to me. The Aurender Conductor app is well conceived, intuitive, and can be installed on the iPad and Android devices. The list price is a bit hard to swallow but a pre-owned N10 brings that down to a more tolerable level.

I have been considering a new music server for at least the past year and an half. I presently own two Olive 04HD's and a McIntosh MS750. They are all working perfectly but I want to raise the performance bar, particularly with my two channel studio system. I am still sitting on square one, no decisions are firm, so the research continues. The Aurender N10 is currently at the top of the list.
Thank you for all of this very detailed feedback!
Old 11-08-2016, 10:28 AM

The Aurender N100h sounds like a good choice and a good deal. USB only does not bother me since I am a fan of DSD. From my understanding, and correct me if I am wrong, but I understand that DSD can not be transported across the Coax cable. I do use Coax from the spinner to the Remedy and then to the DAC for Redbooks, but from the music server I will use USB to assure DSD is correct.
Old 11-08-2016, 12:10 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Randy.......You are correct about no DVD over the coaxial. This isn't an issue for me. I play my DSD discs in the Esoteric K-03 transport. That's as good as it gets. SACD's are my preference for enjoying DSD playback. I don't purchase DSD files, only hi-res downloads no higher than 24/96 so a coaxial connection is perfect for my particular application.

I agree with you that the Aurender N100h is a remarkable music server and represents an exceptional value for one who only requires a USB connection. I know couple audiophiles who own the Aurender N10 music server. One told me it would be the last component to ever leave his sound system.

Old 11-08-2016, 02:38 PM

Been thinking about this long enough... just pulled trigger on N10. Should arrive within 1-2 weeks.

Aurender N10 / Ayre QX-5 Twenty / Ayre KX-R Twenty / Ayre MX-R Twenty / Wilson Sasha DAW / Isotek TITAN and EVO3 / Transparent Reference / Meze Empyrean

Last edited by gaboudreaux; 11-09-2016 at 07:48 AM.