AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Aurender

Aurender Reference Music Servers

Old 03-15-2015, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drabbish View Post
So what's the difference between this and the lumin L1 at half the price?
The L1, as I understand, stores and serves music files. You still need an additional component to play the files.

Last edited by Golucid; 03-15-2015 at 01:53 AM.
Old 03-15-2015, 01:34 PM
From the BAT cave ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3brow View Post
Awesome! Congrats. Which size drive did you get? I went with 6TB total (two 3TB drives). I split my collection between the two internal drives. Artists A - L on drive 1 and M - Z on the 2nd drive. That way, in case a drive dies, and eventually one will, I will know everything that was lost and be able to get back in business quickly. Everything is backed up on external drives (I actually have 3 backup copies at the moment). I know if/when drive fails, it is serviceable in the field. No need to send it back to Korea. Install new drive. Aurender remotes in. They get you backup and running. Enjoy.

Pics show 2,763 albums in my library, that's 3TB of music. Couldn't listen to it all in 3 lifetimes .......
My goodness, I am in awe of your library.
Old 03-15-2015, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessman View Post
My goodness, I am in awe of your library.
Ahh shucks. I've been working on my library for a long time. That's why non of the streaming services are a value to me. I have invested so much in the media that I do have, I want to use it!

I have a diverse set of Music likes. Everything from Vivaldi to Marilyn Manson; The Carpenters to The B-52s; Led Zeppelin to Bauhause, Cocteau Twins and Dead Can Dance.

Whats your music range? Do you serve it up digitally and on what type of device?
Old 03-15-2015, 05:06 PM

David,

I should stop reading your posts / threads soon as they make me go research and try to buy more products!

Looks a fantastic piece of equipment indeed, might be just what I need.
Old 03-15-2015, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EfeTe View Post
David,

I should stop reading your posts / threads soon as they make me go research and try to buy more products!

Looks a fantastic piece of equipment indeed, might be just what I need.
I have a serious problem, I am addicted to shopping for audio equipment. The issue has worsened since joining AA LOL. Total addict
Old 03-15-2015, 06:47 PM

Aurender is coming with the S10 replacement - the N10.

It will probably be around $7-8k, so much less than the W20, but still in a full size box, most likely also available in black. The main improvements over the S10 will be a linear PSU and special Audio USB out.

All Aurender models with HDD on board (from X100 to W20) are identical to setup. They use the same software and App.

The X100 is their most sensible option. It can be further improved by adding an aftermarket linear PSU - like the one made by Kenneth Lau.
Old 03-17-2015, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golucid View Post
I went with 1TB because I want to install a SSD if possible. I have so many tunes. I think 1TB is great for music. My music room is a my sanctuary. Simple and easy to use.

When I eventually get my media server up and running, and there I have 2 x 16TB promise Raid 5 mirrored, then pumped over to my Western Digital My Cloud 24TB server. That makes more sense to me and if I want to tap into that for the houses I have: music rooms, theaters and whole house streaming. But for my music, I want something more static and easily controlled.
With your server set up, did you consider the N100 and if so, why the choice of X100 over N100? ( I am looking at these options right now) thx.
Old 03-17-2015, 04:20 PM
From the BAT cave ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golucid View Post
Ahh shucks. I've been working on my library for a long time. That's why non of the streaming services are a value to me. I have invested so much in the media that I do have, I want to use it!

I have a diverse set of Music likes. Everything from Vivaldi to Marilyn Manson; The Carpenters to The B-52s; Led Zeppelin to Bauhause, Cocteau Twins and Dead Can Dance.

Whats your music range? Do you serve it up digitally and on what type of device?
David, I am in awe of your library as well as j3brow's. I mainly use a Silenzio server (custom built by our own E ) using a 12 TB Synology NAS for storage and feeding an Esoteric K-01 via USB. I also use a Sonos for internet radio and Deezer feeding a Wyred 4 Sound Remedy (reclocker) which in turn feeds into the K-01 via digital coaxial cable. On occasion, I spin a SACD in the K-01's tray. I also have a modest vinyl rig - ClearAudio Concept with a moving coil cartridge. My musical horizon is narrower than yours - 60's and 70's rock, most jazz, and baroque and romantic classical.
Old 03-17-2015, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skolis View Post
With your server set up, did you consider the N100 and if so, why the choice of X100 over N100? ( I am looking at these options right now) thx.
Couple of things:

#1. I am lazy, I like to make minimal effort if i pay a high price tag for something. I get cranky if I have to think too much LOL

#2. I do not want to rely on a network to feed my system. Networks go up and down and the more crap you have between the output system, the more things you have to maintain, configure and deal with.

Note: I am both Cisco and MCSE certified and at one time I had to support these system and I never want to do it again. Oh yeah, Novell is in there too... but haven't supported that system in over 15 years.

Networks are fine for job security. But, I am not going to provide my own help desk support. So, yeah, I brains for this junk but gosh, I do do not want to deal with it. I rather just be dumb. That's why I like Apple. Plug and go.... Vroom!

#3. McIntosh with the MB100 did something very right, everything you need is within one small box and unlike much of the competition, Aurender X100 included; the MB100 boasts every imaginable input port -- less Thunderbolt v. 1 and v.2. But this likely was a costly licensing issue and therefore not included as an option and they have profit margin requirements at the forefront as well. Though it would be very nice because with thunderbolt, everything else is just a low Yugo.

So, guess what. I bought both. I have a plan to internally over-haul the MB100 and bring it up to my standards. Stay tuned for that one. And Dan, I am sure you are reading this...don't shoot me! LOL.

#4. Because I am savvy enough, I get fickle when I'm told what to do and how to do it. I am very much do it myself and my way.

About Aurender: Of all the solutions I looked at seemed to offer close to what the MB100 is and some internal flexibility. The product reads like some high end thought and expense what put into this... By comparison. McIntosh went with, for example, generic 2gb ala Kingston DDR3 1333 with a CL rating of 9. They could have gone with 6. or perhaps a DDR1600. For a NAS, it's fine. But, there are more demands on this server that just being a library. There's a GUI, Streaming and so forth. Also, they opted for a cheap WD Green Drive with a small 30GB Kingston SSD.

All these things can be swapped out if you mirror the data on to new hardware and pop in, because there are two slots, more and better performing ram. But, you need to first identify the main board limits. Easy enough.

#5. Given the above, did I consider the N100. No. I have no interest in streaming. i much prefer a local set up.

Also, my home is already wired for whole house sound and I can just connect those cable at the back end of any of my pre-amps and receivers and tie in.

Hope this makes sense. I do not proof read much and just type off the top of my head.
Old 03-17-2015, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessman View Post
David, I am in awe of your library as well as j3brow's. I mainly use a Silenzio server (custom built by our own E ) using a 12 TB Synology NAS for storage and feeding an Esoteric K-01 via USB. I also use a Sonos for internet radio and Deezer feeding a Wyred 4 Sound Remedy (reclocker) which in turn feeds into the K-01 via digital coaxial cable. On occasion, I spin a SACD in the K-01's tray. I also have a modest vinyl rig - ClearAudio Concept with a moving coil cartridge. My musical horizon is narrower than yours - 60's and 70's rock, most jazz, and baroque and romantic classical.
Ooooh! Synology, good stuff and great reputation. K-01 is a rock star player. Wow! You gotta be lov'n that spinner. I'm all for 70s rock and inherited all my dads late 60s and 70s vinyl all in mint condition. Talk about lucky. Thanks Dad!

As for narrow & broad music tastes. I have my dad and mum to thank. While my Dad was playing The Who, Hendrix, Zep, ACDC [rocker dude] and everything else. My mum was playing the avant-garde such as african, pop, soul, new wave, alternative music, new age, such as Kitaro, Kraftwerk <=not new age, Vangelis, Tangerine Dream, Earth Wind Fire, Teena Marie, etc. So, I grew up with a palette of flexibility, which I am glad. I have super kewl parents and as I grew up, became my awesome best of friends.