AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Meridian Audio

Meridian Audio Listen Closely

Old 07-25-2009, 09:07 AM

Default Meridian F80 to buy or not to buy?

I have an opportunity to buy a brand new Meridian F80 either in silver or black for 1000 pounds (about US$1,600) which is quite a lot less than MSRP.

What do you guys think. For a one piece DVD/CD/Radio it does sound pretty good!

howie

Old 07-25-2009, 09:27 AM
AA Founder, Legend AV Owner

This piece has always caught my eye; me I would probably buy it. In red of course.
MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A300 AMPS, C3900 PRE-AMP, DP1000 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC1000 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-68 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1X/D1X STACK, G1X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS(4), BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) ALTAIRA CG & SG HUBS, AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES
Old 07-25-2009, 10:36 AM

The B&W zeppelin has good reviews for 1/2 that price; I am sure either one box wonder in either brand will sound similar.
Old 07-25-2009, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1KW View Post
The B&W zeppelin has good reviews for 1/2 that price; I am sure either one box wonder in either brand will sound similar.
Not to belittle the Zepellin, but the B&W is a VERY different beast and frankly not in the same league I'm afraid.
Old 07-25-2009, 11:09 AM

That is a great price but if you are only going to use it for background, I also agree that you should go with the Zeppelin.
Old 07-25-2009, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillone View Post
That is a great price but if you are only going to use it for background, I also agree that you should go with the Zeppelin.
For its price I like the Zeppelin. My only concerns are that you can only play ipods, not cds, no digital inputs (was considering hooking it up to a Sonos system) and no radio.

It is a glorified ipod dock boom box albeit a very nice one. Problem is I already have one, an Altec Lansing one, though obviously another few notches down the sound quality scale!!
Old 07-25-2009, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by howiebrou View Post
For its price I like the Zeppelin. My only concerns are that you can only play ipods, not cds, no digital inputs (was considering hooking it up to a Sonos system) and no radio.

It is a glorified ipod dock boom box albeit a very nice one. Problem is I already have one, an Altec Lansing one, though obviously another few notches down the sound quality scale!!
You are right the Zeppelin is a nice iPod dock and the Meridian is a poor one but a good radio. The Zeppelin has no digital inputs, but does have an analog input, but I wouldn't play CD"s thru it anyhow. That music is all on an iPod. I have a whole house system that my SonoS is hooked up to, so my wife just uses the Zeppelin with her iPod music when she is working around the house.
Radio, there has not been radio on in my house for at least 15 or 20 years.
Old 07-25-2009, 11:51 AM

Correction, the Zeppelin does accept a digital input. I should have read the manual.

You can connect a second source to Zeppelin
using the AUX socket at the rear, which accepts
both analogue and digital signals. Zeppelin will
automatically know which type it is receiving.
Analogue sources will need a 2-core coaxial
cable terminated at the Zeppelin end by a mini
stereo jack plug, just like the plug used for your
iPod headphones. The plug required at the other
end will depend on the source.
If the source is an early generation iPod, shuffle,
MP3 player, laptop computer or portable CD player,
the output will probably be from a headphone
socket and the same style mini jack will be needed.
If the source has its own volume control, set it to
approximately 75% full scale.
If the source has a line output – a standard
‘stacking’ CD player, for example – you will
probably need two RCA Phono plugs at the source
end. If the source has its own volume control, set it
to approximately 90% full scale.
Sources with an optical digital output use a
fibre-optic cable, sometimes called a TOSLINK™.
The standard TOSLINK™ termination has a stubby,
block-ended shape, but some devices, including
Zeppelin, Apple Macintosh®, Apple TV® and Apple
Airport Express®, use an optical mini jack plug.
These optical mini jacks have the same outline
shape as the analogue version, but have no black
stripes and have a clear tip for the light to pass
through.
Download the Zeppelin Connectivity Guide from
our web site for more information.
Old 07-25-2009, 04:08 PM

Where are you going to put it?

The F80 is more portable with the handle and small size. So you can carry it anywhere around the house with ease.

I would go for F80. It has better media compatibility. Plus, I like the look better.
Old 07-26-2009, 03:16 PM

Actually the F80 has a separate iPod dock that works very well. With it's digital outputs you can even hook it up to a pair of Meridian active speakers! and there is a new Ethernet link adapter for the Meridian speakers soon to be released. Saw it at the factory last week...

My daughter has a Zeppelin in her room and it's very good for what it is, but the F80 is in another league entirely in terms of performance and flexibility. We used to have an F80 in our bedroom, but my wife (our art director) stole it for her office, so a second F80 is on the way soon.

After having an F80 for about a year and a half now, we are still very happy with it! Highly suggested! And we have a very comprehensive review in Issue 12 on page 95...