AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Fine Art & Collectibles

Fine Art & Collectibles For the Connoisseur

Old 04-17-2012, 11:08 AM

way to young.. like kincaid and redlin ..the painter of light will be missed..

Hbar
Old 04-17-2012, 11:42 AM
Music Lover

The way he let all his art be put on almost everything including pot holders, lamps, tray tables, cuckoo clocks, music boxes, magazine racks, dolls, musical prayer boxes, cross stitch kits, night lights, mugs, blanket throws, etc., etc. he ruined the resale value of most of his more expensive canvas pieces. I started collecting his stuff 25 years ago and most his stuff that had increased considerably in price went back down to issue price or lower because of the saturation of his art on everything he and his company could think of. He prostituted himself IMO.

While I wish no one this outcome, his death was the only hope a collector had of ever making their money back or a profit on his canvas work. While you should only buy art because you like it, not to see it increase in price, it's been hard to see expensive pieces of art be duplicated and put on a cuckoo clock or any of the many other items.

When you bought a Kinkade originally the galleries would boast how each piece would be sold out soon and start increasing in value. Basically what I'm saying here is that Kinkade took his original collectors down a bad path. He let us down.
Mcintosh MC205,MX150,MS300,MVP871,Pioneer BDP-51FD,Roku,Pioneer Signature Elite 141,Furman It-Reference15,Sonus Faber Cremonas
Two Channel Room
Mcintosh MC501's,C2300,MCD500, ClearAudio Emotion TT,Furman It-Reference15,Sonus Faber Elipsas,Sonos Connect
Old 04-17-2012, 12:30 PM

I agree with what you're saying Mike, but as a painter I've seen my fair share of artists take a similar route. Many times it's because of a big ego but other times it's for survival. Imagine trying to sell paintings in this day and age, for that matter any time throughout history, with the economy the way it is. You get to a point where it would be nice to go out to dinner, see a movie, perhaps even take a vacation. If that means having our work printed on a beach towel so be it. Personally I would stop painting altogether if it came down to that. Obviously not Mr. Kincade...

We all choose our path in life and like most people have a passion for what we do. I'm always amazed at how often people can't believe that I've chosen such a poor, as in monetary, career choice. It's what I do, want to do, and need to do. I don't see any difference between being an artist or being a doctor for example.
Old 04-17-2012, 02:33 PM

Sorry fans.
The "mob" seems to have an insatiable appetite for mindless drivel like Dancing with the Stars, American Idol, Britney Spears (or any other flavor of the month), Happy Meals, mixed breed lap dogs, and tabloid journalism.
To me, Kincaid fit's in nicely in the category of "Pop Culture" and is just another example of it's shallow, vapid state.
"Sixty Minutes" did a piece on him years ago. If memory serves, the guy did not even do his own work. It was mass produced and he'd take time out from his otherwise busy day to stop by the mill dab a couple spots on them then sign them as his own.
This could very well be where the wheels started coming off leaving thousands of customers in the lurch. Kind of like what happened to the collectors of Beanie Babies, Department 51, Happy Meal novelties and pretty much anything that is marketed as collectable.
Im sorry for the people who got taken and hope you can take advantage of any one time bump you may get from his passing.
Requiescat in pace Tom. You screwed them all.
Old 04-17-2012, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rilands View Post
Hopefully his Art will now go up in value. I have some I've been wanting to sell for a long time but most have gone down in price ever since he started putting his art on everything besides toilet paper.

T.K.'s death was a surprise to me. In his earlier years he painted some very nice art. RIP
I've even seen his paintings on ShopNBC
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2-Channel System: Luxman L590Aii, D-05 CD/SACD ,VPI Classic 3 (Rolling Stone photo shoot table), VPI SDS, Shelter 501 MKII , Wilson Audio Duette,Shunyata Denali 6000T, Anaconda Zitron, Alpha Digital, and Black Mamba power cables, Tara Labs RSC Air 2 speaker wire, RSC Prime M1 IC's.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:07 PM

I purchased his San Fancisco Lambard street painting after a visit to San Fan
Love the painting. don't care if it rises in value or not. RIP Thom
Old 04-18-2012, 08:18 PM
Music Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Brown View Post
I purchased his San Fancisco Lambard street painting after a visit to San Fan
Love the painting. don't care if it rises in value or not. RIP Thom
Thats a nice piece.
Mcintosh MC205,MX150,MS300,MVP871,Pioneer BDP-51FD,Roku,Pioneer Signature Elite 141,Furman It-Reference15,Sonus Faber Cremonas
Two Channel Room
Mcintosh MC501's,C2300,MCD500, ClearAudio Emotion TT,Furman It-Reference15,Sonus Faber Elipsas,Sonos Connect
Old 04-18-2012, 09:13 PM

I loved him in the Partridge Family.
He will be missed!
Old 04-18-2012, 09:17 PM
Remembering Dan

I have over 20 pieces, I think 6 of them autographed on the back by Thom from the various signing events. The very first painting of his that caught my attention was his San Francisco Golden Gate Bridge painting. I bought a small open edition print of that as my first piece, and eventually bought a 24 x 36 canvas edition of it and had it signed by Thom.

I like all of the pieces of his that I have and I too don't really care whether they go up in value or not.

I felt bad about his passing. Regardless of the criticisms he was very talented, he had human problems that apparently caught up to him and he died at a very young age. It's a sad story.

Pete

No. 35

Main System: VPI Prime Signature TT in Rosewood, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Stillpoints LP1 V2, McIntosh: MP100, MR78, MCD1000 Transport on Stillpoint Ultra Minis, MDA1000 D/A Converter on Stillpoint Ultra Minis, MS750 Music Server, C40, MC501's (3), Soundcraftsmen: DC2215 Eq/AS1000 Real time analyzer, DBX 3BX II, Carver C9, Nakamichi Dragon, Crown SX724, Crown D-75A (as headphone amp), Sony XBR55X900E 4K TV, JBL L220A's, JBL B460, Sumo Delilah active crossover, WireWorld Silver Eclipse audio interconnects, WireWorld Starlight and Silver Starlight Coaxial Digital interconnects, Wireworld SuperNova 7 Toslink digital interconnect, WireWorld Aurora 7 and Silver Electra Power cords, Wireworld Silver Eclipse 8 speaker cables, Terk AF-1 Powered Antenna, Oppo UDP-205 4K Blu-Ray Player, Bryson BUC-1 USB Converter, Wireworld Gold Starlight XLR Digital interconnect, PS Audio Direct Stream Power Plant 12 on Stillpoint Ultra Minis, PS Audio Dectect, FuruTech Flux-50 NCF Inline Power Filter, Add-Powr Wizard EM Field AC Line conditioner; Stillpoint Ultra SS's under (3) McIntosh MC501 Amplifiers

Florida Room/Art Studio System: Harmon Kardon T60 TT/Ortofon 2M Black, McIntosh: MR77, C32, MC2205; Crown Power Line Four, Wyred for Sound DAC-2 Digital to Analog converter, Soundcraftsmen AE2000 Eq, JBL 4313B's, JBL 2241-based Sub, JBL BX63A Active Crossover, Oppo BDP-105D Blu-Ray Player, Samsung 5500 Series 32" Smart TV, Terk AF-1 Powered Antenna

Master Bedroom System: McIntosh: MX120 Theater processor, MC206 6-channel amplifier; MR74 AM/FM Tuner, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, JVC HM-DH40000U D-Theater Digital VHS, Phase Technology PC80 Towers (now used as stands), (2) JBL 4401's, (1) JBL Studio 6IW speaker, (2) JBL Studio 6IC speakers, Sony XBR-49X900E UHD TV, Panamax 1000 Line Conditioner, (2) JL Audio E110 Subwoofers, Wireworld Solstice speaker cables, Wireworld Aurora Power cords, Wireworld Equinox and Solstice speaker cables and various other flavors of Wireworld and Audioquest cabling

Office System: Marantz 150 Tuner, Crown DL 2, Crown EQ 2, Crown SA 2, Crown D-75A (as headphone amp), McIntosh MCD7009 (as transport), DBX 3BX Series II, Oppo BDP-103 Blu-ray player, JBL 4401's, JL Audio E112 Subwoofer, Samsung 5500 series 32" Smart TV, Wire World Oasis audio interconnects, Wire World Solstice speaker cables, Wyred for Sound DAC-2 DSDse Digital to Analog converter, Wireworld Starlight Coaxial Digital Interconnect, Sennheiser HD800 Headphones, Sennheiser HDVA600 Headphone amp, Wireworld Silver Eclipse Balanced Interconnects, Wireworld Platinum Starlight USB Cable, Add-Powr EAU-2 AC Harmonic resonator

High Resolution Source: HP Omen 17" Gaming Laptop
Old 04-18-2012, 09:17 PM
Remembering Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingRT View Post
I loved him in the Partridge Family.
He will be missed!
Leave it to Mike.

No. 35

Main System: VPI Prime Signature TT in Rosewood, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Stillpoints LP1 V2, McIntosh: MP100, MR78, MCD1000 Transport on Stillpoint Ultra Minis, MDA1000 D/A Converter on Stillpoint Ultra Minis, MS750 Music Server, C40, MC501's (3), Soundcraftsmen: DC2215 Eq/AS1000 Real time analyzer, DBX 3BX II, Carver C9, Nakamichi Dragon, Crown SX724, Crown D-75A (as headphone amp), Sony XBR55X900E 4K TV, JBL L220A's, JBL B460, Sumo Delilah active crossover, WireWorld Silver Eclipse audio interconnects, WireWorld Starlight and Silver Starlight Coaxial Digital interconnects, Wireworld SuperNova 7 Toslink digital interconnect, WireWorld Aurora 7 and Silver Electra Power cords, Wireworld Silver Eclipse 8 speaker cables, Terk AF-1 Powered Antenna, Oppo UDP-205 4K Blu-Ray Player, Bryson BUC-1 USB Converter, Wireworld Gold Starlight XLR Digital interconnect, PS Audio Direct Stream Power Plant 12 on Stillpoint Ultra Minis, PS Audio Dectect, FuruTech Flux-50 NCF Inline Power Filter, Add-Powr Wizard EM Field AC Line conditioner; Stillpoint Ultra SS's under (3) McIntosh MC501 Amplifiers

Florida Room/Art Studio System: Harmon Kardon T60 TT/Ortofon 2M Black, McIntosh: MR77, C32, MC2205; Crown Power Line Four, Wyred for Sound DAC-2 Digital to Analog converter, Soundcraftsmen AE2000 Eq, JBL 4313B's, JBL 2241-based Sub, JBL BX63A Active Crossover, Oppo BDP-105D Blu-Ray Player, Samsung 5500 Series 32" Smart TV, Terk AF-1 Powered Antenna

Master Bedroom System: McIntosh: MX120 Theater processor, MC206 6-channel amplifier; MR74 AM/FM Tuner, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, JVC HM-DH40000U D-Theater Digital VHS, Phase Technology PC80 Towers (now used as stands), (2) JBL 4401's, (1) JBL Studio 6IW speaker, (2) JBL Studio 6IC speakers, Sony XBR-49X900E UHD TV, Panamax 1000 Line Conditioner, (2) JL Audio E110 Subwoofers, Wireworld Solstice speaker cables, Wireworld Aurora Power cords, Wireworld Equinox and Solstice speaker cables and various other flavors of Wireworld and Audioquest cabling

Office System: Marantz 150 Tuner, Crown DL 2, Crown EQ 2, Crown SA 2, Crown D-75A (as headphone amp), McIntosh MCD7009 (as transport), DBX 3BX Series II, Oppo BDP-103 Blu-ray player, JBL 4401's, JL Audio E112 Subwoofer, Samsung 5500 series 32" Smart TV, Wire World Oasis audio interconnects, Wire World Solstice speaker cables, Wyred for Sound DAC-2 DSDse Digital to Analog converter, Wireworld Starlight Coaxial Digital Interconnect, Sennheiser HD800 Headphones, Sennheiser HDVA600 Headphone amp, Wireworld Silver Eclipse Balanced Interconnects, Wireworld Platinum Starlight USB Cable, Add-Powr EAU-2 AC Harmonic resonator

High Resolution Source: HP Omen 17" Gaming Laptop