AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Conrad-Johnson

Conrad-Johnson It just sounds right

Old 02-25-2012, 01:53 PM
musiclovingearenthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimtranr View Post
Have you read reviews of the ET2 and ET3? The ones I've seen indicate, intimate, or imply that neither exhibits the "classic" c-j "tubey" sound, and if anything tend to emphasize their neutrality, so it's unlikely that "overly warm" is going to be a problem with either, especially since you'd be pairing one or the other with the 2500A.

I hope that's more helpful.
I did "jim"; have Google, will travel...and I always try to help myself first (although I prefer the feedback of actual users and enthusiasts, for the most part, to reviews). There's not a whole lot on either unit; C-J being rare-air and all...lol.

Here's a good snippet about the ET2, that I read...but I guess didn't really absorb:

Used as a linestage, the ET2 won me over pretty dang quickly, garnering excellent marks in several key areas. I’m not going to mince words when it comes to the bass range; pitch definition was remarkable, and bass lines in general were resolved with a precision rivaling that of any linestage I’ve auditioned to date, regardless of cost. The treble range, while fully under control, sounded a tad laid-back and short of air. There was never a hint of brightness or upper-register bite. Transients unfolded with plenty of speed and were allowed to decay delicately into a recording’s noise floor. The overall presentation was clean, smooth, and highly detailed, with an emphasis on harmonic accuracy. The ET2 was capable of revealing low-level nuances without sounding analytical. But it refused to add fat to the midrange, and harmonic textures were free of euphonic upper-midrange coloration. As a result, timbres were allowed to bloom without any sonic makeup. The truth and nothing but the musical truth is what the ET2 is all about. For me it was a joy of discovery, as the ET2 was able to zoom in on a particular voice or instrument and nail its timbre with authenticity. On the other hand, if you’re looking for a linestage to spice up or glorify your system, then the ET2 is probably not for you. It is not a romantic, lush, or assertive preamp. It’s not overtly tubey, but then it was not meant to be.

Sounds pretty definitively neutral, huh (that, of course, being a relative term)? As for the ET3:

"There are two schools of thought in good preamp design. Both follow the path of ‘first, do no harm’, like some electronic version of the Hippocratic Oath. Where they differ is whether they strive to do no harm to the recording, or the music. The two should be alike, but there seems to be a difference. The ET3, like the GAT before it, manages to make the music come to life whatever the recording. Others are faithful to the recording but the entertainment suffers in the process. This is the big bonus of the GAT, of course, in that it manages to make everything sound right without being sweet, where the ET3 makes everything sound right without being too sweet.

Where the ET3 scores highly is its soundstaging. The preamp – like the GAT before it – presents the listener with an enveloping sense of dimensionality that draws you deeper into the music. This will invariably bring up that great “yes, but is it accurate?” canard from those who will never hear or want to hear the ET3. Those who have and do just don’t care… they love the sound of the preamp, and would do so regardless.

In some respects, this is a return to conrad-johnson’s heyday, like a PV12, rather than a more recent PV15. There was a time when a c-j preamp drew you into the music in a way that no other preamp could. That was c-j’s strength, but somewhere down the line, that got pushed to one-side to make products more in line with the clean, detailed – and some would say bloodless – sound of the early 21st Century. It must be said, the top line of c-j preamps never quite lost the way, but somewhere the romance went out of the relationship at the lower and middle end. A move back began with the ET2 and the Classic preamps, but it’s here that the return to romance really kicks off again.

If there’s one word that sums up the ET3 it’s ‘sumptuous’. Sound is full-bodied and natural sounding, enveloping the listener in the musical event in the way the c-j preamps always used to
".

OK...actually, I think these two clips tell me what I need to know (again, at least in the opinions of the reviewers). Is it my imagination, or does it seem these snippets paint the picture that...of the 3 pre-amps I have on my radar...the PV-15 is likely most neutral (bloodless? yikes), the ET2 closer to warm (the beginning of the move back), and the ET3 the most warm (a return to romance? lol). That being said, it's hard not to like the ET3...based on the picture this guy paints.

Yikes; must admit, I'm still torn. So c'mon C-J fans...lend me your sway...lol.
Old 02-25-2012, 02:02 PM
dpod4

Go for ET3SE and don't look back!
Old 02-25-2012, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpod4 View Post
Go for ET3SE and don't look back!
Not in the budget at this point dpod. Isn't that always the way; the solution to all your problems...is there, just a bit beyond your reach...lol.
Old 02-25-2012, 03:25 PM
dpod4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner

Not in the budget at this point dpod. Isn't that always the way; the solution to all your problems...is there, just a bit beyond your reach...lol.
Let's have a AA bake sale to raise the extra dough!! Seriously I have read so many great things about the ET3 in either version I would probably migrate there.
Old 02-25-2012, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post
I think CJ will still do "SE" upgrades on non SE preamps???

So with ET3, the option would remain down the road to have it made into an SE. I had an original Classic updated to an SE back when.
Old 02-25-2012, 05:29 PM

CD....I had in my system ET2 and PV15, don't know ET3 but it is probably the best of three theoretically, BUT it is not said whether it is the best association with your amplifier, call Ed and asks he for his opinion
ET2 natural partner is LP66s

l
LP12SE,urika phonostage,radikal power supply, dynavector XV-1s,conrad-johnson GAT and LP275M, Sonus Faber Elipsa,yter/naim/Linn cables, vibex, finite elemente
Old 02-25-2012, 05:54 PM

Thanks for the feedback guys. When all is said and done, I guess it is just about a coin-flip. I don't like throwing darts at a board...so when I'm indecisive, I usually just sit tight.

Sure, I'll get criticized that I let an opportunity pass; what...there won't be C-J pre-amps for sale anymore? I'll admit, I've learned the hard way and missed out on some bargains; but I give as good as I get, meaning I've landed some too.

Might just tuck this experience away, and use it to proceed more enlightened next time the opportunity arises; especially since the owner of one of these units seems to have gone MIA. Time will tell how this one plays out.
Old 02-25-2012, 06:54 PM

CD...my take on the situation is there will be plenty of PV15s/ET2s/ET3s up for sale. If part of the issue is that you cannot audition locally any of these units (or better yet borrow from a local dealer for home audition), then I would call Ed at CJ next week (even if it means passing up on the deal you are being offered to consider this weekend), and explain to him what your system is comprised of and what your sonic preferences are and he should be able to steer you in the right direction. No fuss no muss

Also, in terms of auditioning, if you have no local dealers, the next time you are on a business trip or on a vacation to a location that might have a CJ dealer, set up an audition of whichever units they have on hand and decide for yourself.

My 2c.
Old 02-25-2012, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmalak View Post
CD...my take on the situation is there will be plenty of PV15s/ET2s/ET3s up for sale. If part of the issue is that you cannot audition locally any of these units (or better yet borrow from a local dealer for home audition), then I would call Ed at CJ next week (even if it means passing up on the deal you are being offered to consider this weekend), and explain to him what your system is comprised of and what your sonic preferences are and he should be able to steer you in the right direction. No fuss no muss

Also, in terms of auditioning, if you have no local dealers, the next time you are on a business trip or on a vacation to a location that might have a CJ dealer, set up an audition of whichever units they have on hand and decide for yourself.

My 2c.
I think that's wise; and like I said, I'll probably be forced to sit tight for now anyway...because the owner of the ET3 I was leaning toward, has gone quiet on me (too many questions, not enough PayPal maybe...lol).
Old 02-25-2012, 11:24 PM

Having heard both the ET2 and ET3 in my system for a period of a few weeks I can tell you that the ET3 is a much better preamp. "makes music come to life" is a good description for the ET3. Everything and I mean everything sounds better through the ET3. I was shocked by the performance kick it gave me. I am talking about the non SE version. Eventually I am getting the SE version which is on order. The SE version should be much closer to the ET5 in performance. More transparent, more detail, more refined. You cannot go wrong with the bare ET3. In the future you can always send it back for an SE upgrade which will end up costing ~$500 more than buying the ET3SE from the beggining.