AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Conrad-Johnson

Conrad-Johnson It just sounds right

Old 02-07-2012, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post
Well all...I think my trial of C-J might be coming to an end. Most people probably wouldn't even bother to post this...because I just know I'm going to get beat-up (especially from a certain Vinyl-loving, C-J advocate ); but I love this hobby, and appreciate when people share as an opportunity to learn how others approach it.

Looking back at the comments in this thread, I cringe a bit at the prospect of saying this...because I've had so much enthusiasm for the amp. And that's all true; it's a GREAT amp. I've read reviews...after the fact (I never like to be influenced by them before I make a purchasing decision...if I can help it)...and it gets great pub, and it's all well-deserved.

So...why did I just buy something else to audition? Well, Stephen will tell you he thinks I have audiophile ADHD...lol. Fair enough, but not to the extent that I want to; I just want a system that I love...but that I don't think about, so it can just get out of the way and I'm left to focus on the music. For whatever reason, I keep listening for the mf-2500a, and it's a bit of a "distraction"...good as it is.

Maybe it's just the fact that it's still new-ish...and it's just a matter of time, and I haven't given it that time; to just get used to it, and not be looking for its signature on my music. Maybe that's easier...and sooner...said than done with some amps. I do feel like this amp (I won't lump all of C-J in, based on my one experience) has a signature; has its own sound, rather than being neutral. Now, it's a great sound..."it just sounds right"...lol; but it's still something to be "aware" of, and I'm too aware of it.

You'll never hear me say anything bad about my experience...except to be honest about it, and say what I've said here: that perhaps C-J has its own sound...and it's great, if you take to it. I'm going to go back to my first girl; (David) Belles was the first, really hi-end amp I ever owned...and I fell hard. My 150a Hot-Rod left a little something to be desired...especially as I moved up in speakers; but then again, it is almost 15 years old. So I'm going to try a 150a Reference v2.

I'm not giving up on the mf-2500s sight unseen (hearing unheard?); I'm trying to sell the infamous "extra" one, and that'll still leave me my unit to audition against the new Belles. I just have a feeling my Belles 21a pre (which I have never grown tired of...great unit) will really take to his new sibling.

C-J may very well be in my future. Maybe the newer gear has less of that C-J flavor, and is easier to forget about? And I plan to stay-tuned to the forum. It's a great bunch, and I haven't found them to be excluding of those who don't have C-J; and I sure hope they don't start now...lol.
In this hobby you have to find your own way ultimately. Yours is the only opinion that counts when it comes to spending your money for your musical pleasure. I know some people who are in the component of the month club and never figure that out. I use to go thru a lot of equipment just for the sake of change but I would always come back to CJ, I realized that's the sound I like. I know people who just a passionate about Krell, Audio Research and Mcintosh. I hope the 150a Reference v2 works out for you.
Old 02-28-2012, 12:54 PM

Default mf2500a

ha to funny. I bought CDLenhenner extra MF2500a and it will be delivered tomorrow. Also bought nissat PV-15 to pair with it and it come in today. whats funny is that I sold a Belles 150a reference v2 to fund the mf2500a purchase. I sold a sonagrahe sa-400 last year before I bought the Belles and I always wished I hadn't. I'm hoping the MF2500a is even better than that SA-400 was.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:13 PM
musiclovingearenthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvas12 View Post
ha to funny. I bought CDLenhenner extra MF2500a and it will be delivered tomorrow. Also bought nissat PV-15 to pair with it and it come in today. whats funny is that I sold a Belles 150a reference v2 to fund the mf2500a purchase. I sold a sonagrahe sa-400 last year before I bought the Belles and I always wished I hadn't. I'm hoping the MF2500a is even better than that SA-400 was.
What's really funny is...since I was such a fan of my old Belles 150a Hot-Rod...I bought a 150a Ref v2 to stack up against it...lol. Don't worry; I think the mf-2500a "wins"...and that's what I'm keeping.

IDK the SA-400, but we'll assume C-J was a step above the Sonographe line, yes? FWIW, I spoke with Ed at C-J yesterday... about which pre-amp I'm considering for my 2500a...and it was quite obvious he thought very highly of the 2500a.

Enjoy lvas!
Old 02-28-2012, 07:17 PM

lvas12... Welcome To AA!!!

Old 02-28-2012, 07:45 PM
From the BAT cave ...

Ivas12, welcome aboard and thanks for your support right out of the gate!
Old 02-29-2012, 02:26 AM

Welcome, Ivas12. I suspect you'll enjoy your 2500A.

Bedroom: Aurender N150, TEAC UD-505 (AKM version), EMIA Cu Elmaformer passive line stage, conrad-johnson MF2500, Paradigm Studio 20 v5. Shunyata Delta D6, Altaira CG hub. Shunyata Alpha XC, Delta NR v2, Alpha USB, Alpha and Venom CGC/SGC. Wireworld Eclipse 8 interconnect & speaker cables. Stillpoints footers, Butcher Block Acoustics maple platforms. Stillpoints and GIK acoustic panels.

Home Office:Windows 11 PC/JRiver 31, TEAC UD-501, Luminous Audio Technology Axiom II Walker Mod passive, conrad-johnson Sonographe SA-250, Paradigm SE-1. Shunyata Hydra (Original Version), Venom 10 NR. Wireworld Eclipse 7 interconnects. Blue Jeans speaker cable.

Living-Dining Room: Windows 11 Laptop/JRiver 29, Oppo BD-83, TEAC UD-501 DAC, SOTA Sapphire TT, Graham Slee Era Gold V, Ortofon 2M Black, McIntosh MR-77, c-j Sonographe SC-25, c-j MF2500, Paradigm SE-3. Wireworld 8 IC, Blue Jeans SC. Shunyata Hydra 8 v.2, Shunyata Delta NR, Venom NR. GIK 244 bass & scatter-plate panels.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvas12 View Post
lvas, I see it arrived today; be sure to let me know your thoughts (don't have to be public if they're not good for some reason...lol). Hope you're busy enjoying!
Old 03-02-2012, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post
lvas, I see it arrived today; be sure to let me know your thoughts (don't have to be public if they're not good for some reason...lol). Hope you're busy enjoying!
lvas...that good huh?
Old 05-17-2012, 06:12 PM

Chris, I've been eyeing your MF2500a as I'm looking for an amp thats able to drive whatever might roll thru the door.

I have a question for the board members here in regards to the way the MF2500a sounds....

My only experience with CJ is with a pair of Motif MS100 SS amps. Has anyone here listened to both the MS100 and the MF2500a to compare? Are they similar in sonic signature or completely different breeds?

Thanks,
Mike