AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > PMC Speakers

PMC Speakers UK's Finest

Old 08-04-2009, 11:54 PM
Against the Tide

Default All hail the "Mighty Munchkins"!!!

PMC DB1i-
All hail the "Mighty Munchkins"!!!. Major performance out of a pint sized package. Job well done!.-Thanks to the fine folks at PMC.

Decided to test the water before I take the plunge. DB1i's are running in on the MC602. Insane sound coming from the Munchkins. Soundstage and imaging are unbelievable for the size. Absolutely worth a demo!!!.
Old 08-05-2009, 07:20 AM
Merry Christmas to all

klipschfan.......PMC is a great speaker manufacturer. I have yet to hear one of their speakers that wasn't impressive.

I was pleased to see the photo of PMC founder Peter Thomas in this September's Stereophile magazine.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 08-05-2009, 01:27 PM

Our little boxes are just as impressive if not more so than our big boxes. You expect big realistic sound from our IB's, MB's & BB's... But to get big sound and even bass extension out of a compact mini monitor is something else.... Enjoy your time with the DB1i!
Old 08-05-2009, 02:55 PM

Location: Constitution State. Formerly known as the Nutmeg State

Now that you tested the PMC waters, are you going to jump in with the rest of us in the deep end?
Old 08-05-2009, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
klipschfan.......PMC is a great speaker manufacturer. I have yet to hear one of their speakers that wasn't impressive.

I was pleased to see the photo of PMC founder Peter Thomas in this September's Stereophile magazine.
Dan
When I read about the new "upscale" PMC's in Stereophile I was expecting a larger or similar size speaker with new finishes, but the new line is much smaller and narrower than the current range. Seems odd.
Old 08-06-2009, 01:13 AM

By "upscaling" we have brought the line from out of the blue with more exotic veneers and higher performance components (Silver binding posts and jumpers anyone?)... The i-series and all of the iterations before it were derived from the studio line, each series improving remarkably over the next. The new line is fresh from the ground up, all of the components - aesthetic wise and performance related are fresh from the latest drawing board and our collaboration with SEAS Norway... We are after smaller cabinets with bigger sound. The Fact8 is slightly smaller than the FB1i but it's performance is close to that of the PB1i with added versatility of HF & LF adjustments. Among other things our ATL has been further advanced reducing distortion in the register yet again, we are, after all known for the cleanest and truest bass response.

Smaller & narrower cabinets mean less baffle interaction... Odd? Well Peter is an odd guy in his unwavering commitment to accuracy in HiFi playback... Accuracy is however, not what some aficionados are after, which is A-ok by me.

Oddities aside, the DB1i's kick ass and I'm glad klipschfan enjoys the taste of accuracy!
Old 08-06-2009, 01:45 AM

I'm excited to receive the TB2i's soon, which are similar in stature to the DB1i's... and with your impressions quite positive I know the TB2i's will rock as well
Old 08-06-2009, 09:55 AM

Seems odd that PMC would be introducing a new domestic speaker line on the heels of the relatively new and highly aclaimed i series. I find it interesting that the new Fact8, although smaller and with fewer drivers, "is close in performance" to the larger and just released PB1i which, when released, was claimed to compete with the EB1i. Therefore, is it reasonable to assume that the 'smallish' Fact8 will be in the same ball park as the EB1i?

Last edited by BuffaloBill; 08-07-2009 at 08:42 AM.