AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > General Speaker Discussion

General Speaker Discussion Calling all Speakers

Old 05-22-2022, 11:00 PM

Charles from the picture it looks like you could only lift the sub a few inches before it blocks the view of the tv. Can you set up something temporary to see how lifting the sub sounds ? How hard is as dialing in the sub with the active crossover? Do you use any tools to take sound measurements to assist in setting the crossover?
Old 05-23-2022, 10:19 AM

Rick, several years ago Mark strongly suggested I raise the Thor off the floor. If you notice in the first pic, my dealer used mats under the Thor. I was resistant because I felt them an excellent solution. However, I began to have doubts and contacted Wilson for a better solution. Coincidentally, the new Wilson Acoustic Diodes had recently become available, so Wilson engineered a plinth made of X-material with AD footers specially engineered for my Thor. Strangely, my bass output actually slightly decreased but there was an improvement in my bass definition and blend with the XVX. I was able to reset my phase to 0 degrees. I became very pleased with the improvement in my extremely low bass.

I very recently added the new Wilson ActivXO electronic stereo crossover which significantly improved my low bass resolution. I run it in the mono mode. The phase is set to 0 because there is no reason to set it otherwise as the sub is in plane with the mains. I previously had it set to 90 because I was getting too much sub output at around 40 Hz. I run LP only 18 dB/octave 30 Hz. The XVX is run full range. I have certain CD's ("In a Quiet Cathedral") that has subsonic very difficult to hear constant bass throughout the cut/track. The Thor must be at about 1.2 watts to hear/feel this bass and the mains at about 10 watts to hear/feel these very low subsonic notes. First track on both discs. Be careful if you buy the Album. It can overload anything.

I was interested in Mark's comment about down firing subs built in or otherwise and how boundaries like carpeted floors, hardwood floor, and walls affected sub output/bass. I can no longer recommend a sub sitting directly on a floor on rubber mats because I think you get too much feedback from the floor into the sub. I wouldn't have believed this but Mark was correct. I now believe a solid expensive foundation very necessary for any speaker like a Legacy that has true low bass to perform optimum.

Best

Charles

Last edited by Charles; 05-23-2022 at 01:36 PM.
Old 05-23-2022, 10:45 AM

Please take this discussion and (great!) photos to another thread as it's now completely off topic.

Last edited by SCAudiophile; 05-23-2022 at 10:53 AM.
Old 05-23-2022, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCAudiophile View Post
Please take this discussion and (great!) photos to another thread as it's now completely off topic.
Mark, Respectfully, unless Rick has another question or comment about my particular comments, I have no more to say. However, this is a "General Speaker Discussion" Forum. I therefore disagree with you that I am off topic. Even if it were a Legacy Forum, which it is not, my comments would not be off topic, IMO. I hope that Ivan might open a Legacy Forum in the future.

These sorts of issues concerning comments deemed inappropriate to a thread come up from time to time. I promise to be more careful with any tangential comments when you are involved in the discussion. I do think this is an issue for a moderator because if Rick or anyone has a question, I will enjoy to answer it.

Best and your friend,

Charles
Old 05-23-2022, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Mark, Respectfully, unless Rick has another question or comment about my particular comments, I have no more to say. However, this is a "General Speaker Discussion" Forum. I therefore disagree with you that I am off topic. Even if it were a Legacy Forum, which it is not, my comments would not be off topic, IMO. I hope that Ivan might open a Legacy Forum in the future.

These sorts of issues concerning comments deemed inappropriate to a thread come up from time to time. I promise to be more careful with any tangential comments when you are involved in the discussion. I do think this is an issue for a moderator because if Rick or anyone has a question, I will enjoy to answer it.

Best and your friend,

Charles
Good morning Charles,

You will note I asked politely and without malice, also delivering a positive comment regarding the photos.

My off topic assertion was regarding this thread being entitled "Legacy Wavelet II", not the forum section it is under.

Have a good day,...
Old 05-23-2022, 12:25 PM

Rick, I'm dropping out of this thread. I hope that I answered your question. I respectfully maintain that the title of the forum suggests that threads within the forum are open to generalizations concerning other speakers, but out of respect for Mark, I will comment no more.

Best

Charles
Old 05-23-2022, 07:27 PM

Charles, my suggestions were not meant to cause offense so please take an apology from me.
Old 05-23-2022, 08:04 PM

Default Legacy Wavelet II

My fault, I didn’t finish my thought that was leading to the sub adjustment after moving the sub.
Old 05-24-2022, 10:49 AM

No problem at all you guys. Years ago on AA there was much more acrimony than exists on the AA of today. Mark and I spoke privately. The conversation cost me some money because at his suggestion, I ordered the remastered expanded 2-Disc edition of the Waterworld soundtrack and the Inception BR, both of which I am looking forward to.

So please continue the thread but let's keep it focused to Legacy.

Best

Charles
Old 05-24-2022, 02:44 PM

My Aeris speakers are set up with the standard configuration. Internal amp for the bass and a single set of binding post’s for the mids and highs. With this configuration I’m guessing most of the dsp correction is done on the bass with phase adjustments. I’m still amazed by how well the dsp works to fix the bass problems. It does give me confidence that even if new anti vibration feet lift the speakers, the dsp should be able to adjust “if necessary“. Mark after reading up, I see the podiums you have are not that much more than the Gaia’s I was considering. Not sure if my wife will approve of the larger foot print but I’ll ask.