AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Travel & Leisure

Travel & Leisure AA around the World

Old 01-25-2019, 02:24 PM

Default Heaven on Earth .......

Those that know me know that I'm somewhat of a railroad nut and those that don't know me just know that I'm nut's period. Here's a short vid of an area of our great country that is very near and dear to my soul ..........

https://video.nationalgeographic.com...d-c0fe1f210000
Old 01-25-2019, 02:48 PM

Great little documentary with profoundly deep philosophy on many levels, at least to me. I can completely relate to what he is saying. Besides the importance of preserving the traditions of the railroad and the hard working locomotives that truly made the westward expansion a reality, there is much to be said about a man being surrounded by nature and truly feeling at peace.

Deep in our DNA is the code to be free, to be at one with nature for that is our roots and the way of life for every other living organism on this planet. The concrete jungles erected and surrounding us in the past few centuries just do not feel natural no matter how much spin the city dwellers put on it. They are confining, suffocating, man made atrocities underlining everything that is wrong with the modern world.

To live and breathe free is to be at one with nature. Doesn't get much better than the West with all the scenic, natural beauty. To experience that at a leisure pace on one of those steam spewing beasts from the past is a treat indeed. Consider yourself lucky Dave and thanks for sharing.
Old 01-25-2019, 07:44 PM

Wonderful video, thank you for sharing!
Old 01-26-2019, 07:38 AM
Retired

Be a whole lot better without all the romanticized BS from the geezer in the cowboy hat. What a crock. That said, the Cumbres & Toltec is easily the best of the narrow-gauge rides in the west. Much more varied terrain than the Durango ride to Silverton or the short, but interesting Georgetown or Cripple Creek rides. The shop in Chama, like the one in Durango, is very much worth the visit. At the one in Chama they are happy to let one get as close as one wants to the actual work and talk about what they are doing (rebuilding the firebox, pouring & scrapping new bearings, etc.). There is also a shop east of Denver in Byers(?) that builds new or rebuilds old steam engines. We're just back from a round-trip to Ft. Lauderdale (unfortunately, not a steam train). Got one of their smaller rooms, which includes all meals. The only way to travel. And, the food is good, if somewhat limited in selection.

Do wish one of the narrow-gauge lines would bring back a Gallopin' Goose Pierce-Arrow. That would also be a great way to ride either the Chama or Durango run.
Canton Reference 9 Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 & MR88 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B, ST-J75 & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag

Last edited by Formerly YB-2; 01-26-2019 at 07:41 AM.