AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Conrad-Johnson

Conrad-Johnson It just sounds right

Old 07-06-2014, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turntable View Post
Hi Guys

Did the noise issue with the GAT get resolved - well no.

Just tonight another EH 6922 went noisy. I am now down to my last 2 cj EH 6922's.

I have gone through I think about 12.

I was thinking about getting a pair of Telefunken E88CC/6922's but with several months per set, probably not great value.

How does Cryo treatment on the tubes do for reliability and sound?

BTW, Lew did tell me a while back that the plate voltage should be around 85 Volts (say + or - 5 Volts), and the cathode very close to 2.1 volts. If the voltages are right, then the tubes are operating correctly.

I do need to take my GAT to the the tech to get this measured now that I am down to my last two tubes.

cheers
Telefunken tubes were highly regarded in the 50s and 60s. Back then tube amps were normally very rolled off in the treble because of the quality of the coupling capacitors of the day. The Telefunken had very pronounced treble which balanced things. The Telefunken does not match well with modern tube gear. They sound strident and cause listening fatigue after a while IMO. people pay serious money for them only to find out that they don't like them.
A Gold Lion 6922 would be a much better match for the GAT. The Matsushita 7DJ8 is also great, warm, transparent and images very good.
Old 07-06-2014, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronenash View Post
Telefunken tubes were highly regarded in the 50s and 60s. Back then tube amps were normally very rolled off in the treble because of the quality of the coupling capacitors of the day. The Telefunken had very pronounced treble which balanced things. The Telefunken does not match well with modern tube gear. They sound strident and cause listening fatigue after a while IMO. people pay serious money for them only to find out that they don't like them.
A Gold Lion 6922 would be a much better match for the GAT. The Matsushita 7DJ8 is also great, warm, transparent and images very good.
That's not been my experience with the Tele ECC801S vs. any new 12AT7 (the only other tube that was competitive was the NOS Mullard 4024).

And I'm not a great fan of most new tubes. QC aside-which I've found to be horrible for many-they really lack most things. Yes, they are dynamic but that's about it. The only GL I've heard are the GL 12AX7s and they did nothing for me.
Myles Astor, Senior Editor., Positive-Feedback.com, Goldmund Telos 300 amplifier, Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier, Doshi EVO phono and tape stages; Zellaton Plural EVO speakers; VPI Vanquish Turntable, VPI 12-inch Fat Boy gimbal arm and SAT LM-12 arm; Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga mk.2, vdh Colibri Master Signature cartridges; Technics 1506/FM heads; Various cables including TA, MIT, Kubala-Sosna, Skogrand, Viero L3 Equilibrio speaker cables, Audience, SRA Craz 3 rack, Isobase and OHIO Class XL+2.1 platforms.
Old 07-07-2014, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Gotta say I am with Myles on this. None of the telefunken's have had any of the traits you mention.

My telefunken 12ax7's I used with my MCintosh c2300 were sensational - open, extended, tight bass superb voicing and quiet as a mouse.

My telefunken PCC88 I have used with the GAT are also superb, however I actually got a little better treble extension from the stk EH 6922's. I should pop them in again to re-listen

cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myles B. Astor View Post
That's not been my experience with the Tele ECC801S vs. any new 12AT7 (the only other tube that was competitive was the NOS Mullard 4024).

And I'm not a great fan of most new tubes. QC aside-which I've found to be horrible for many-they really lack most things. Yes, they are dynamic but that's about it. The only GL I've heard are the GL 12AX7s and they did nothing for me.
Old 07-07-2014, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turntable View Post
Hi Myles I have been living off my spare set of ART tubes as I had 10. Have you bought the new ones from cj or just garden variety from tube store or similar? Cheers
From cj since they test them in circuit.
Myles Astor, Senior Editor., Positive-Feedback.com, Goldmund Telos 300 amplifier, Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier, Doshi EVO phono and tape stages; Zellaton Plural EVO speakers; VPI Vanquish Turntable, VPI 12-inch Fat Boy gimbal arm and SAT LM-12 arm; Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga mk.2, vdh Colibri Master Signature cartridges; Technics 1506/FM heads; Various cables including TA, MIT, Kubala-Sosna, Skogrand, Viero L3 Equilibrio speaker cables, Audience, SRA Craz 3 rack, Isobase and OHIO Class XL+2.1 platforms.
Old 07-08-2014, 11:33 PM

To each his own taste. The Tele's never sounded like live music to me. I only tried their 12at7 and 6922 variants so my experience is based on these tubes only.
Old 07-08-2014, 11:37 PM

BTW, I think some of the current production power tubes are just as good or better their NOS counterparts. Some truly great power tubes IMO are the GL KT88, Tung-Sol KT120. I find these to be extremely reliable and great sounding.
Both are definitely better than the GE 6550A and GEC KT88 I have tried.
Old 07-08-2014, 11:54 PM

Quote:
BTW, I think some of the current production power tubes are just as good or better their NOS counterparts. Some truly great power tubes IMO are the GL KT88, Tung-Sol KT120. I find these to be extremely reliable and great sounding.
Both are definitely better than the GE 6550A and GEC KT88 I have tried.
Agree, the Tung-Sol 6550 is also wonderful. I prefer it to the KT120.

NOS, too expensive for 16 power tubes
Old 07-09-2014, 04:53 AM

Quote:
BTW, I think some of the current production power tubes are just as good or better their NOS counterparts. Some truly great power tubes IMO are the GL KT88, Tung-Sol KT120. I find these to be extremely reliable and great sounding. Both are definitely better than the GE 6550A and GEC KT88 I have tried.
Yeah I guess we don't agree. There was no better tube in cj power amps than the original Gold Lion KT88. Just as there was no better tube in Jadis amps than the original KT77.
Old 07-09-2014, 06:51 AM
On Florida's Slow Coast

I've had good luck and sound with the EC88 Tele's in the GAT. Maybe it's the particular model or year made. Having them stopped my tube rolling entirely. I seem to remember Jeff at c-j liking them as well.

Bob
Wilson Yvette speakers, Conrad-Johnson ART88 pre, TEA1bc phono, and ART27A Amplifier, Marantz digital player, Rega Planar 10 turntable / Apheta 3 cartridge,Wireworld Gold and Platinum Eclipse IC and speaker, I AQ Hurricane, Tornado power cables, Shunyata Denali 2 conditioner, dCS Bartok DAC/Streamer
Old 07-09-2014, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coppy View Post
I've had good luck and sound with the EC88 Tele's in the GAT. Maybe it's the particular model or year made. Having them stopped my tube rolling entirely. I seem to remember Jeff at c-j liking them as well.

Bob
Thanks, I am very temped. Upscale has them at a reasonable price - comparatively of course.