AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Turntables & Vinyl > Phono-Pre Amps & Cartridges

Phono-Pre Amps & Cartridges Welcome to the Dark Side!

Old 08-07-2011, 09:51 PM

I'd try a used 501 if you can find a good one. I've owned the Shelter on and off for some time and it's a great cartridge, but limiting if that makes any sense. It's a lot like that EAR 324 - very warm and forgiving but not a ton of resolution. Average records sound better than they probably should, but the outstanding records still only sound, well, average.

You've got plenty of warmth with the Shindo already. Honestly, I think you've got the solution for your system sitting there in the box - the A90.

Depends on your overall taste and what your records are like.

It's really why you need more than one table/cart combo.
Old 08-07-2011, 10:04 PM

I am very happy with the resolution with the 501 . I would not say it is warm sounding .
Old 08-07-2011, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonepub View Post
I'd try a used 501 if you can find a good one. I've owned the Shelter on and off for some time and it's a great cartridge, but limiting if that makes any sense. It's a lot like that EAR 324 - very warm and forgiving but not a ton of resolution. Average records sound better than they probably should, but the outstanding records still only sound, well, average.

You've got plenty of warmth with the Shindo already. Honestly, I think you've got the solution for your system sitting there in the box - the A90.

Depends on your overall taste and what your records are like.

It's really why you need more than one table/cart combo.
Jeff, not sure how you got the impression that the EAR 324 is warm sounding. It is SS and it sounds neutral. In terms of resolution, it has as much as any other solid state phono stage that I've ever heard including a custom built and expensive ASR, Boulder, Whest and Pass just from recent memory. It is much quieter than most tubed phono stages though, that's for sure. Not only my own ears but those of the various very positive reviews out there would disagree with your assessment. You've mentioned the EAR 324 doesn't do bass before, well, I can tell you that it does and it beats many a tube phono stage including all ARC I've heard (haven't heard ref 2 yet). Actually one reviewer even mentioned getting stupendous bass out of it, down to 16 Hz with a cartridge I can't recall now. What it can't quite match is the palpability and three dimensional presentation of some tubed phono stages out there, Shindo built in included, just like most solid state phono stages it is less 3D than tubes.

Not sure how you can comment on my system either never having heard it. Your Shindo assessment also strikes me as being off since you claimed it sounds very close to vintage Marantz and McIntosh. I just recently owned MC2301 tube amps, the MC2102 visited a few times, had a an MC275 not to mention many other tube amps over the years, have heard vintage Marantz, McIntosh, Dynaco and a few others over the years. I can't say that Shindo sounded like any of them. While the MC2301 and ARC 210's sounded tonally cooler by comparison that doesn't make Shindo warm and non-resolving like some vintage stuff out there. Even the MC2102 sounded much warmer by comparison for example. Shindo is Shindo, it is unique, at least the Cortese that I have direct experience with. I can't say it's overly warm, it is definitely not cool, it very much reflects the quality of the recording and the rest of the gear. Judging by how easily I can hear a difference in even one pair of cable swaps upstream, it is highly resolving, never mind the recordings which I hear all of the details just like I did with my Lamm, BAT, ARC, Krell, Bryston gear. Nothing is missing, it isn't colored per say, it just sounds more organic and conveys the emotion and little nuances of music that much better without forcing any detail on you like some other gear tends to. I love my Shindo setup.

In terms of A90, I have no idea, I have it, I didn't listen to it yet so I will take your word for it.
Old 08-07-2011, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1KW View Post
I am very happy with the resolution with the 501 . I would not say it is warm sounding .
David, I'll drop by to give your new table a listen, haven't had the opportunity yet.
Old 08-07-2011, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
Jeff, not sure how you got the impression that the EAR 324 is warm sounding. It is SS and it sounds neutral. In terms of resolution, it has as much as any other solid state phono stage that I've ever heard including a custom built and expensive ASR, Boulder, Whest and Pass just from recent memory. It is much quieter than most tubed phono stages though, that's for sure. Not only my own ears but those of the various very positive reviews out there would disagree with your assessment. You've mentioned the EAR 324 doesn't do bass before, well, I can tell you that it does and it beats many a tube phono stage including all ARC I've heard (haven't heard ref 2 yet). Actually one reviewer even mentioned getting stupendous bass out of it, down to 16 Hz with a cartridge I can't recall now. What it can't quite match is the palpability and three dimensional presentation of some tubed phono stages out there, Shindo built in included, just like most solid state phono stages it is less 3D than tubes.

Not sure how you can comment on my system either never having heard it. Your Shindo assessment also strikes me as being off since you claimed it sounds very close to vintage Marantz and McIntosh. I just recently owned MC2301 tube amps, the MC2102 visited a few times, had a an MC275 not to mention many other tube amps over the years, have heard vintage Marantz, McIntosh, Dynaco and a few others over the years. I can't say that Shindo sounded like any of them. While the MC2301 and ARC 210's sounded tonally cooler by comparison that doesn't make Shindo warm and non-resolving like some vintage stuff out there. Even the MC2102 sounded much warmer by comparison for example. Shindo is Shindo, it is unique, at least the Cortese that I have direct experience with. I can't say it's overly warm, it is definitely not cool, it very much reflects the quality of the recording and the rest of the gear. Judging by how easily I can hear a difference in even one pair of cable swaps upstream, it is highly resolving, never mind the recordings which I hear all of the details just like I did with my Lamm, BAT, ARC, Krell, Bryston gear. Nothing is missing, it isn't colored per say, it just sounds more organic and conveys the emotion and little nuances of music that much better without forcing any detail on you like some other gear tends to. I love my Shindo setup.

In terms of A90, I have no idea, I have it, I didn't listen to it yet so I will take your word for it.
Woops wrong EAR. The SS one is excellent. I always get the numbers wrong. I think you will be very surprised in a good way with the A90.
Old 08-07-2011, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonepub View Post
Woops wrong EAR. The SS one is excellent. I always get the numbers wrong. I think you will be very surprised in a good way with the A90.
That explains it.