AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Mark Levinson

Mark Levinson Sound that Speaks for Itself

Old 11-12-2020, 08:35 PM

I had more time to listen with the Proceed last night. When listening to music, with the ML, I always felt like I needed a sub. With the Proceed, not at all. And as I said before, just more dynamic all the way around.

I really think there must be something wrong with the ML. I'll be shipping it next Monday and I'll let you know what I find out.
Old 11-15-2020, 11:57 AM

It may be the Proceed is just better than the 532H as that was the entry level amp into ML. I'm sure you'd have a different experience with the No534 but that's an entirely different price range. Good luck and hope it comes back sounding better!

George
Old 11-15-2020, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadawg View Post
It may be the Proceed is just better than the 532H as that was the entry level amp into ML. I'm sure you'd have a different experience with the No534 but that's an entirely different price range. Good luck and hope it comes back sounding better!

George
I am interested to find out. But unless it is also worse than a NuForce STA-200, there must be something wrong with it. I also realized my previous speakers to the Moabs, Mirage M3sis never sounded the same after I got the ML. I thought it was due to some other factors, never suspected the ML. But the same thing that I felt was lacking in the Mirages, is back with the different amps.

The 532H reviews as good or better than any previous ML (under $10,000), I have even heard some say they like it better than the 532 which is over $20,000. I had a 331 in the past and it certainly didn't have these issues.

I'll post the results of the service work when it comes back.
Old 12-09-2020, 12:39 AM

Well, I have bad new and even worse news.

Bad news, Harman decided not to honor the warranty after all...

Worse news, I got the repair quote...

I guess the silver lining is at least I was right, there was something wrong with it.

How in the world a relatively new amp could have this much wrong with it....
Old 12-09-2020, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crwilli View Post
Call Audio Classics. They will help you.
Yeah, that will never happen. They "Bench tested" it before shipping it to me, and missed all that. Their "Bench test" is apparently worthless, I have zero interest in ever doing business with them again.

It is my fault for not making the time to fully assess the amp after getting it. But I have been dealing with the passing of my father, my mom going into an alzheimers home, selling their house, covid... I was just too busy to give it the attention it needed until it was too late.

I also kind of assumed a high end amp like this, that was likely about 5-8 years old, and never used, wouldn't have a problem.

I have done relatively well in the used audio market over the years, I guess this is karma catching up with me...

Last edited by brad1138; 12-09-2020 at 12:50 AM.
Old 12-09-2020, 08:16 AM
Retired

First ML tells you it is under warranty and now they tell you it is not? What's up with that? I would pursue both ML and AC on this.
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 12-09-2020, 09:52 AM

That is the most absurd thing I have ever seen in my life...

28 capacitors and 32 transistors that need replacing? This amp was actually still playing?

Sorry, I call total BS on this... The lonely Maytag man must be REALLY lonely in that repair shop.
Old 12-09-2020, 03:17 PM

Its a shame that as large as harman is they aren't doing more to earn back the reputation that Mark Levinson had both as a stand alone company and even when owned by Madrigal. I own the No536's and went through several brand new 523 preamps that were defective (all different issues BTW) before punting and doing something different for a preamp. Had to swap out one of the No536's when it was new out of the box also as the front LED didn't work. Two other friends that have since purchased No536s also have had issues with the LED's brand new out of the box. I guess this is why there are so many "B" stock Mark Levinson products out in the market place right now as it seems like they are having product quality issues. Too bad really because the No536's really are quite good. The No523 Preamp wasn't bad either other than I couldn't get one that worked....

George
Old 12-10-2020, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 View Post
First ML tells you it is under warranty and now they tell you it is not? What's up with that? I would pursue both ML and AC on this.
I sent Harman an email with the serial number of the 532H. Inquiring about possible warranty, even though the Authorized dealer I bought it from had said 60 day wtty.

I told them I had bought it at a discounted price from an authorized dealer (which is true). They looked into it and it had been sold from Harman to the dealer in Feb of 2020. He said that I should (do) have a 5 year wtty from Harman.

When I shipped it in, they dug further and what I didn't mention, that it was an eBay sale, came to light. They took it to the highest guy possible at Harman and he made the final decision that it would not be covered under warranty...

It sucks, but I did buy it at a more or less "used" price, and being under wtty was basically, easy come easy go...
Old 12-10-2020, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
That is the most absurd thing I have ever seen in my life...

28 capacitors and 32 transistors that need replacing? This amp was actually still playing?

Sorry, I call total BS on this... The lonely Maytag man must be REALLY lonely in that repair shop.
I shipped it to the west coast authorized service center. They have been nothing but kind to me, doing everything they could to try to get it covered under wtty. They seem to be a very reputable business, authorized service for a ton of high end brands. The owner himself has been the one reaching out to me to let me know what's going on.

As I said before, it sucks, but that is part of the gamble buying in the used market. For the most part I have done well, I don't always come out ahead, but often do. I bough a ML #331 for $1,800 and sold it for $2,300 6 months later a year ago. I bought a pair of Mirage M3SIs for $750 in 2009, sold them for $800 in 2020 after buying the Moabs. etc.

Last edited by brad1138; 12-10-2020 at 12:57 AM.