AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > TAD Speakers & Electronics

TAD Speakers & Electronics Technical Audio Devices Laboratories

Old 05-29-2012, 08:26 PM

I surely hope you are right, and they play nice with my system/room. At this point I would be ready to write such a big check for a small speaker if it plays as detailed as the E1, but a bit warmer and bass about the same (more definition would be welcomed).

It was a no no initially, given size and cost, but after all I have read here from you owners, my expectations have grown big time. if they can produce big images (similar to E1s at least, and not the very defined but scaled down of typical monitors), produce good full bass that goes deep (I know i think it will be very defined and articulated in any case), and be just a bit less agressive on the highs I think I will be sold... We will see.
Old 05-29-2012, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdebonth View Post
Nice setup, seems like a very well thought-out combo. I hope the CR1's are everything you are looking for and more. IMO the beryllium CST drive unit is unmatched and the bass 'weight' surprises me everyday, it really is a beast of a stand-mount.
Thanks. I am happy with it, and now want to take it a step forward with boxes, but frankly is been harder than expected so far. The B&W 800s, although you can find many better boxes in absolute terms, when you put it in relative terms, extra gain vs extra cost, are harder to beat than I anticipated. They represent really great value.

Do you find the CR1s to be on the bright or forward side of boxes, or more warmer style?

The idea of a big small speakers or big monitors better said, is growing on me given extra benefit of flexibility regarding placemen on complicated rooms.
Old 05-30-2012, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eelii08 View Post
Do you find the CR1s to be on the bright or forward side of boxes, or more warmer style?
To my ears (and what I read in reviews from others who have a much broader experience) the CR1's are neutral across the spectrum. They are hugely transparent and will render every bit of detail they are fed. They are not 'bright' or 'warm' (I guess this means smoothed over treble?) but I would call them 'right.' I think they could be perceived as forward if you are used to a 'warm' speaker or if your electronics are not up to the task (this doesn't sound like a problem you will have). In my system they are just right, I never perceive the treble as harsh unless it is really over-cooked in the recording.

I did just recently replace my source component after which I found the sound too forward. It now has around 150 hours on it and this forwardness is gone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eelii08 View Post
The idea of a big small speakers or big monitors better said, is growing on me given extra benefit of flexibility regarding placemen on complicated rooms.
Yes this is a huge benefit for me also. I spent a lot of time fine tuning their positioning and ended up with the speakers pretty close to the listening position in an almost nearfield setup. The concentric drive unit allows for this as it behaves as a single point source. Previous speakers I have had to position closer to the walls to get integration of midrange and tweeter which meant I was not able to avoid the woofers exciting room modes or sit in nulls. This is very room specific of course but just another advantage these speakers have in terms of flexibility.
Old 06-24-2012, 08:37 PM

Ok. Been with them in my sytem for the last two days. Tomorrow the dealer will have to pick them up for a presentation so I wiant to spend as much time as I can listening. Will do more writing once they are gone. For now, it is by far the most tonal accurate and rich box I have heard regardless of size and price andI have heard a few including very expensive ones... Very very transparent also. An interesting speaker no doubt.
Old 06-26-2012, 05:42 PM

ok, the dealer took them away... my first impressions (all to my taste room and system and music, so no one take no offense where I make comparations to other products)

these speakers are quite something. Very interesting product…

I am still impress with how accurate and rich from a tonal perspective they are… Nothing I have heard comes close in that respect. Per instance speaker costing far more, like the SF Aidas or the W. Maxx 3 are not even close to the CR1s… Is like a bad joke. The Magico Q5s are closer in this regard but the CR1s are even better.

Also transparent. Again only heard the ML CLXs coming close to them. Not even the Q5s whom are said to be the most transparent. That's why they are so unforgiving also with the recording quality of source material and with anything you add/change in the chain of reproduction.

In terms of size of stage, size of instruments, sound staging they are very good. I did not expect that. No small scenes or instruments at all. All is reproduced at the correct size/place.

Bass and dynamics also very very good. Missing the very lowest, but otherwise very defined and musical, precise and articulated.

They do sounded a bit forward in the highs, which is the only problem I have with them. I needed to experiment with positioning and, specially with cables, but did not had the time. I have as principal suspects, a pair of silver balanced interconnects I want to try and change with something else. They work great with my current speakers but may be too much with very resolving and detailed speakers like the TADs.

All in all, I think they are fantastic and probably will end up going for them.

Just wondering how the big ones may sound…. Probably too much for my room now, and may end up sounding actually worse than the small ones due to room iterations. Or maybe could it be as good as the CR1s but with the extra low bass they are missing (the CR1s per instance can do cello with no problem even lowest octaves. Double bass they do miss it a bit down there). Anyone has an input there with regard to teh R1s and min. room size?
Old 06-26-2012, 05:58 PM

Thank you for the input eelii08.
Old 06-28-2012, 04:54 AM

Eli, thanks for posting that, interesting to read the comparison with the other speakers you have tried. RE the min room size for the R1, I posed this question to Andrew in the other thread, hopefully he will chime in.
Old 06-28-2012, 01:51 PM

Yes I saw it. I also sent a mail couple days back to TAD but no answer still.

Lets see
Old 06-28-2012, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Ivan.......I think Accuphase would be a fine compliment to TAD CR-1's.
If I ever decided to move away from McIntosh, Accuphase would certainly be on my very short list if I had the coin...... Thanks for the eye candy Dan...