AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Turntables & Vinyl > Vinyl & Accessories

Vinyl & Accessories Food for the Soul

Old 12-08-2012, 02:13 PM
Vinyl, Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myles B. Astor View Post
How is Classic Records under the control of Acoustic Sounds? That album was pressed long before AS bought Classic Records.
My experience with Classic Record is reasonable, but also they they can have very stubborn mould release compound and need very throughout cleaning to eliminate pops and clicks. I almost returned my copy of the Saint-Saëns Organ Symphony because of that but after re-cleaning with AIVS #15 it improved.
Old 12-08-2012, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceTripper View Post
My experience with Classic Record is reasonable, but also they they can have very stubborn mould release compound and need very throughout cleaning to eliminate pops and clicks. I almost returned my copy of the Saint-Saëns Organ Symphony because of that but after re-cleaning with AIVS #15 it improved.
Well I had tremendous issue with warpage with the CR reissues -- but most of all, many weren't 12 inches in diameter and as a result, the outer rim clamp wouldn't work. Of all the records in my collection with problem, 99% or them are from Classic Records.
Myles Astor, Senior Editor., Positive-Feedback.com, Goldmund Telos 300 amplifier, Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier, Doshi EVO phono and tape stages; Zellaton Plural EVO speakers; VPI Vanquish Turntable, VPI 12-inch Fat Boy gimbal arm and SAT LM-12 arm; Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga mk.2, vdh Colibri Master Signature cartridges; Technics 1506/FM heads; Various cables including TA, MIT, Kubala-Sosna, Skogrand, Viero L3 Equilibrio speaker cables, Audience, SRA Craz 3 rack, Isobase and OHIO Class XL+2.1 platforms.
Old 12-08-2012, 03:45 PM
Vinyl, Baby!

Quote:
Well I had tremendous issue with warpage with the CR reissues -- but most of all, many weren't 12 inches in diameter and as a result, the outer rim clamp wouldn't work. Of all the records in my collection with problem, 99% or them are from Classic Records.
I don't have that many Classic Records reissues. I do know that they had a reputation for poor quality, especially in the beginning. The releases I have are pretty good, and some are excellent (Brubeck's Time Out). I do have issues with the mastering of the two Blue Note reissues of Kenny Burrell "Blue Lights" albums.

But I think it's a moot point to grouse on about Classic Records. They don't exist anymore.

For what it's worth, I have a lot of records that have come out of QRP (Verve and Prestige subscriptions, among others) and the defect rate for me is very low. I have been impressed.

Lately I have far more issues with AudiophileUSA, eBay and discogs sellers mis-grading secondhand records.
Old 12-08-2012, 04:31 PM

I've was buying records from Chad when he did business by phone and mailed out a photocopy list of used records. Still have some of those old lists somewhere. Vinyl is a giant PITA, and much as I hate pressing defects, it comes with the territory, I guess. I had quite a few problems with some of the 200g Classic reissues (stitching) so quit buying them back when they were still in print. Most of the ones I kept are flawless. The problem isn't entirely moot since there are many OOP Classic pressings for sale. I bought an OOP copy of LZ III on Classic last week, sealed, and it was fine. My biggest issue, generally, with reissues is sound quality. I haven't heard Chad's version of 'Tea,' but i had countless other versions, including a UHQR that I bought new when it was first released. To my ears, the original Pink Label and Pink Rim sound best. I can cite numerous instances where the original pressing (even if it is not unobtanium) sounds better than the audiophile reissue. As Myles is aware, I brought this up on another forum with respect to one record and the artist herself actually chimed in about having little control over the reissues.
Just for kicks, last night, I pulled out an old (1959) Columbia 6 Eyes of a Dave Brubeck record I had never listened to- the sonics were incredible and since it had been in a large collection that I bought some time ago, it hadn't suffered any serious abuse.
I agree about grading of used records, though, particularly if you are paying more than a few bucks for the record.

Last edited by Whart; 12-08-2012 at 08:23 PM.
Old 12-08-2012, 04:50 PM

I will never buy vinyl from them again. I'm out the cost of shipping both ways and if I take a replacement that has a problem it also on me. Lesson learned is buy your vinyl local. Really dumb policy as I spend thousands a year on new music and this is the first return for. a LP purchase this year .
Old 12-08-2012, 04:59 PM

I also have almost everything that QRP has pressed to date and all of them are perfect. Sorry to hear you had problems.
Old 12-08-2012, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1KW View Post
I will never buy vinyl from them again. I'm out the cost of shipping both ways and if I take a replacement that has a problem it also on me. Lesson learned is buy your vinyl local. Really dumb policy as I spend thousands a year on new music and this is the first return for. a LP purchase this year .
David...from their website on Return Policy:

Quote:
Acoustic Sounds, Inc. offers, as part of our industry-leading service, the finest, most durable packaging of any music mail-order business. In short, we know how to package and ship music and equipment so that it will arrive damage-free. But of course there are times when manufacturing defects exist that are not visible or audible until the packaging is opened. In the event that you are not satisfied with the physical or audible condition of your Acoustic Sounds purchase, please take note of our following return policies:

Within 30 days of purchase, we will accept returns of any physically or audibly defective or damaged item. We do not guarantee that you will like the music or recording quality of a LP or CD, and personal taste does not qualify as a reason for return. In lieu of a refund, we will instead ship to our customer a replacement copy of the same item that was returned. The customer is responsible for the shipping costs to return the defective item to Acoustic Sounds. Acoustic Sounds will in turn pay the shipping costs to replace the item to the customer.
The policy is clearly stated and seems reasonable to me and consistent with the other major online retailers. Plus, they typically have free shipping for orders over $79 (which if you wait to aggregate a few LPs in one order wyou will easily go over so you don't have to pay initial shipping fees to yourself). I understand you are frustrated but not sure that they are in outlier in their policy. Just a thought. Hope all is well.
Old 12-08-2012, 05:49 PM

Quote:
The other thing to bear in mind is that AS and many of the leading high-end vinyl companies don't dehorn their stampers . So the LP may have some pops and tics that go away with two or three plays. Which would you rather have, polished off highs or waiting for two or three plays for the LP to sound quiet? I know what my choice is.

Another factor is ones cartridge. Different stylus profiles may or may--not to mention set up-- not be quieter than others.
adding to what Myles states one must remember those of us living in northern climates are in the heating season, air is dry, contributing to 'static issues' as well
Old 12-08-2012, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
David.......I understand the shipper pays, that's us when we return an LP. Seriously, though, you should not have to pay the shipping to get your replacement copy. Are you sure you didn't misunderstand?
Dan...see the bolded section above from Acoustic Sound's Return Policy on their web site.
Old 12-08-2012, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1KW View Post
OMG.....now I'm starting to laugh.....thousands spent this year and this is your first incident, young man you really should consider another format !