AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Magnepan

Magnepan Full-range ribbon and planar speakers

Old 11-14-2020, 07:40 PM

Default LRS update: “Crazy Eights”

“Crazy Eights”

My speaker placement just went FINAL. I purchased the LRS early March of this year. After unpacking I immediately set them up on dollies. The next eight months would see them constantly rolling around the room getting mapped.

Getting to know the room I used eight basic configurations - each wall and each diamond layout from each corner got their moment...”Show me what you got!” Movements easily from eight inches to more difficult an eighth at a time increments. Mapping the LRS & listening chair under eight different plans took far longer than I thought. First of November two things became clear:

1. The top two layouts for acoustics were not in my best interest of listening and safety - “Trip hazards.”

2. I am happily left with best placement by default.

Admittedly, it is the third best config ranked acoustically. But being able to relax, feel secure and be at my best to receive the best, this config will prove more satisfying over the top two.

Horizontally, my room is almost a square trap:

169” - front/rear walls
164” - side walls
98”; 95” - sloped ceiling

LRS - tweeters outside:
48” - from front wall (top center)
29” - from side wall (outside edge)
99” - between speakers (top center)
72” - from listening chair (to either speaker)
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg B3C5EDC0-85E4-4445-B0CC-929AA6A7587B.jpeg (2.41 MB, 130 views)
Old 11-14-2020, 10:07 PM
Retired

Thanks for the info.
Am thinking Magnepans for my next speakers and am wondering what amps you are using?
Also, now that you've placed your LRS in their 'final' position, have you listened with and without the cable lifts? Any difference?
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 11-14-2020, 11:49 PM

Greetings Formerly YB-2!

Cable lifters:
Since reading Roger Skoff’s article on posi+ive feedback 5 October, thought I’d try it out. To experiment will cost nuthin’ but time - audiophiles...it’s what we do! The cardboard cat food boxes are way too large for me - I’m concerned with the speaker’s back wave. They’re temporary and made no comparisons. I revamped the entire rack and while I was at it, in they went. I’ll be making my own trellis system when I find some interesting objects to repurpose.

I split my amp duties between:
Shindo Laboratory Aurieges Line Preamp
Shindo F2a Sinhonia monaural amps 40 wpc - 16 ohms
Anticable Zero-impedance boxes @ 4x multiplier to feed tube amps 16 ohms

&

Sansui G-22000 Stereo Receiver 265 wpc

You can view system pix under Show us your Shindo thread.
Old 11-15-2020, 08:10 AM
Retired

Thanks for the response. I'm thinking of a pair of 1.7i and am wondering if my 20wpc triode/40wpc UL tube amp has what is needed to make me happy in my listening space. Have come to the conclusion that the only way I'll know is to purchase a pair.
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 11-15-2020, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 View Post
Thanks for the response. I'm thinking of a pair of 1.7i and am wondering if my 20wpc triode/40wpc UL tube amp has what is needed to make me happy in my listening space. Have come to the conclusion that the only way I'll know is to purchase a pair.
The impedance of the 1.7i is not exactly tube friendly for a 40w tube amp. If you notice, the OP is using Anticable Zero-impedance boxes to bring up the impedance. Something to keep in mind.

I've personally always found a solid state amp that is not on the overly cool side to be a good pairing with magnepans. A tube amp struggles to drive them with authority and it is quite noticeable with certain genres of music.
Old 03-15-2021, 08:33 AM

With tweeters on the outside, you may wish to reduce the toe in to bring the woofers closer to you as per Magnepan instructions. Either keep the toe in with tweeters inside, or no toein with tweeters outside.
Old 04-16-2021, 12:21 AM

A few reasons why that “toe-in” is deliberate: room acoustics; stereo width & imaging; listening position. I’ve an update but more on that in a moment. I believe your comment meant to help, however it is at odds with Magnepan’s manual.

During initial placement Magnepan advises:
- tweeter should not be closer than bass panel to listening position
- (think distance, not angles)
- resist urge to have panels parallel to front wall. makes no difference if tweeters are inside or out but angle the speakers in both scenarios and show illustrations.

Regarding my previous photo, I removed chair before taking the shot. Was sitting in-session closer than normal - not in traditional “near-field” (equal triangle) but really close with the bass panel being 1” closer than the tweeter.

Lastly, the update! I had an absolute ball mapping the room for the little ones. Once I conceded not leaving speakers permanently in middle of the room it was all moot. Due to cleaning & mopping, arts & crafts, maintaining my road bike & longboards in the living room means I move the maggies everyday. Sometimes throughout the day for expanded floor space. So now a few nights a week I simply put them in the middle of the room and toss ‘em aside in the morning. Current placement:

59” from front wall
46” (center) from side walls
66-72” appx chair-to-speakers

Last edited by Shizukana_1; 04-16-2021 at 12:23 AM.