AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Aurender

Aurender Reference Music Servers

Old 01-23-2017, 09:05 AM

I received the W20 yesterday afternoon. This thing is a beast! Much heavier than I anticipated. While the price stung a little, if you measured it in dollars per pound it would be a bargain. The setup (asynchronous USB to start) in my system was ridiculously easy. I had it plugged in and running the preloaded music in only a few minutes. I started the transfer of my file folders and started to wait. The transfer was going to take 11 hours so I was hopeful to have all of it done by morning and then have tonight to fiddle with the clock setup. We had a hell of a storm last night. Sometime in the wee hours, we had a power interruption so when I got up this morning the transfer had aborted and I had to start over. More to come.

Eric
Magico Q-Sub 15 Subwoofers (2)
Transparent Opus Gen5 speaker cables and Interconnects
PS Audio P20 regenerator
Roon file management
Old 01-23-2017, 05:49 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy2 View Post
I received the W20 yesterday afternoon. This thing is a beast! Much heavier than I anticipated. While the price stung a little, if you measured it in dollars per pound it would be a bargain. The setup (asynchronous USB to start) in my system was ridiculously easy. I had it plugged in and running the preloaded music in only a few minutes. I started the transfer of my file folders and started to wait. The transfer was going to take 11 hours so I was hopeful to have all of it done by morning and then have tonight to fiddle with the clock setup. We had a hell of a storm last night. Sometime in the wee hours, we had a power interruption so when I got up this morning the transfer had aborted and I had to start over. More to come.
Eric.......I am happy for you. The Aurender W20 is an incredible music server. Sorry to hear about the power interruption stopping the file transfer. It took me nearly 11 hours to move my music files to the N10. You'll have the files transferred soon enough, then it will be smooth sailing. Congratulations on your new W20. .

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 01-23-2017, 06:04 PM

Eric,
Congrats...It is a nice piece of hardware. I just ordered a Transparent RCA so I can take advantage of my clock. Apparently Async USB only uses the Clock in the DAC and not my external G-01. Should have the cable in a few days and will report back. Good luck with the transfer!

Dave
Old 01-23-2017, 07:26 PM

Pics please
Old 01-23-2017, 08:56 PM

Congats Eric! Just glad that the power interruption didn't cause any problems with your gear including the new W20!
Old 01-23-2017, 09:30 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by audio bill View Post
Congats Eric! Just glad that the power interruption didn't cause any problems with your gear including the new W20!
Bill.......Utility power interruptions don't phase the Aurender W20. It has its own internal battery backup.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 01-23-2017, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Bill.......Utility power interruptions don't phase the Aurender W20. It has its own internal battery backup.
Dan - I see your point, but it's still connected to the AC powerline. Since the power interruption caused the file transfer to abort apparently it's not completely isolated from incoming AC power disturbances.

Last edited by audio bill; 01-23-2017 at 11:05 PM.
Old 01-24-2017, 12:28 AM
Merry Christmas to all

Bill.......As I understand it, when the Aurender W20 experiences a loss of utility power it transfers to its third internal battery and starts an orderly shutdown that protects the operating system and music files. It will do this whether transferring files to its hard drive of simply playing music.

My Aurender N10 shuts down immediately when a utility power interruption occurs. I have to initiate powering it up, then it goes through a long reboot process where it checks both hard drives before reloading the operating system software. It has happened to me twice, but no more. I now have the N10 powered directly from my PurePower 2000 that has battery backup. Not only do I not loose power to the N10, the rest of my sound system stays on and the music continues to play. Naturally if the power remains off I will turn off the sound system rather than run the batteries down in the PurePower 2000, but having backup power for those momentary power interruptions is wonderful.

Old 01-24-2017, 06:22 AM

the other equipment like the router, computer, etc. will have stopped the transfer if the power is interupted.
(don't know what method has been used, maybe direct transfer from harddrive ?)
Old 01-25-2017, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy2 View Post

Eric
Finally got some time on the unit last night. This was straight async USB to the Upsampler. Immediately recognized a significant improvement in background blackness and contrast between images and voices / instruments. I was a bit surprised that it was so pronounced. The mac mini must have been spewing electrical noise all over the place. This is a very satisfying improvement to my system even without adding the clock reference to the set up. I'm going to get familiar with the sound for a few days then make the clock connections. The W20 is worth the money to me. My system has benefitted from the addition. The improvement was not subtle.
Magico Q-Sub 15 Subwoofers (2)
Transparent Opus Gen5 speaker cables and Interconnects
PS Audio P20 regenerator
Roon file management