AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > AudioAficionado News > Member System Forum

Member System Forum System Pictures and Descriptions

Old 07-14-2021, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleeds View Post
We've been talking about the MVP-901 bluray player, not the MC-901 amplifier.
Aha!
Sorry, I missed that.
Old 07-14-2021, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apexorca View Post
Aha!
Sorry, I missed that.
No problem!
At least you didn't think we were talking about Bose 901s!
Primary sources: VPI TNT III/SDS turntable, SME-V arm; Bryston BDP-3 digital player; Bryston BDA-3 DAC; McIntosh MVP-881 disc player; McIntosh MR-80 tuner. Preamplifier Audio Research Ref 5SE; Audio Research Ref Phono 2SE; Moon 430 HA. Amplifiers Conrad Johnson Premier 1B; Audio Research D-300; Bryston 4B. Speakers Infinity IRS Beta. Recorders Tandberg TD20A; Crown SX-822; Nakamichi 670ZX; Alesis Masterlink ML-9600. Power Tice Power Block/Titan (x2); McIntosh MPC1500; API Ultra II-20; multiple 20A derated dedicated lines.
Old 12-12-2021, 04:32 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Pics of my new Wilson Audio XVX Chronosonic:

As soon as Ivan rotates I will have some comments.

Charles

Notice how all the drivers are pointed exactly at my ears for true perfectly time aligned absolutely on axis listening customized for my ear height and listening distance. My ear height is just 36". The lowest ear height in the tables is 34". No other speaker that I know of provides this level of fine tuning to your ears. Again, in the third and fourth pics notice just how well the XVX fits my room. My room is 40' long. The XVX is deep and narrow. Absolutely perfect for my long narrow room of 15.5' in width. The XVX has an upper and lower block Chronometer and if you look carefully just inside the gantry in the fifth pic you can see the settings. The beautiful wheel seen in the last pic with its small protruding "thingamajig" or handle provides for the fore and aft adjustment of the upper block for ear height and ear distance from the speaker, according to the Table. The setting is A13.

I wiped off the white residue powder around the rivet in the final pic with a very soft cloth. It's gone.
I can only summarize with this sentence:

if I had the money right now to buy them, it would be the only speaker that would make me betray McIntosh without thinking twice.

Excuse me if I allow myself, just give me a nod:
what discounts could one expect from Wilson?
Old 12-18-2021, 03:58 PM

Val, just saw your comment and thank you so much! I hope to hear from you much in the future on AA. I will miss you sorely, if you stop posting comments.

Best Wishes for You my Friend,

Charles
Old 01-04-2022, 03:15 PM

My new plinth for my Thor was installed about a month ago. Finally got my Thor off the floor.

Pic of the Wilson Acoustic Diode under the plinth.

If you look carefully, you can see the plinth of X material under which is the AD.

The old rubber mats replaced by the plinth on my Niagara 5000.

Best

Charles

Last edited by Charles; 01-04-2022 at 03:21 PM.
Old 01-04-2022, 04:13 PM

I'd bet that is a big upgrade to sound quality and clarity. Congratulations Charles!
Old 01-05-2022, 01:39 AM

Mark, yes it did. I was pleasantly surprised and it looks so much better. I like the horizontal lie that is basically in plane a lot. Running the LP only at 30 Hz makes the bass non directional. I think many months ago you and Ivan told me to get the Thor off the floor. I knew you were right but it has taken me many months to do it. There has been the new MCT500, the custom made Wilson AD's for the XVX, a new WEL Signature digital coaxial cable for the MVP881 BR, and Wilson Pedestals for all my Mac gear (D1100, MVP881, MR87, MCT500). All this quite expensive but the improvements have been real. I agree with you and Ivan that isolation significantly improves the sonics and also the looks. I don't know what those flat heavy looking objects are on your Esoteric gear are but they sure look nice and I bet they are for vibration mitigation.

The Thor does not set directly on the X-material but there is a rubber cushion lining the surface. Made by Wilson, the plinth is very well engineered. I have heavy custom granite slabs in the garage waiting for my Mac 3500MKII's. Soon after they arrive, I will use isolation feet for them also. The 1.25KW's use chamfered feet. I can't feel any vibration coming through the slabs into the amps.

I think your system is fabulous. You are an inspiration for me. I hope you won't forget to point out the Esoteric gear in your recent pics. It's beautiful.

Best

Charles
Old 01-05-2022, 01:51 PM

Charles,...congratulations once again on a great upgrade to your system in a string of great upgrades!
Old 01-06-2022, 01:37 PM

Congratulations. At this level it's these kind of things that can nail it.
Old 01-21-2022, 10:58 PM
Semi-audiophile

Far be it from me to spend others' money or even hint at it, but the TV looks small in the company of all that huge-looking gear. What size is the screen?
SOTA, Grado, SME, Van den Hul, Gingko turntable setup; Pioneer Elite LD, BDP; Sony OLED TV; Magnum Dynalab tuner, antenna; MIT S-video cable; Pangea HDMI cables; DVDO video processor; McIntosh SACD, preamp, power amps; Telefunken Black Diamond preamp tubes; Kimber IC; Transparent IC, PC, SC; Mirage speakers; PS Audio, Shunyata PC; Audio Additives RCA caps; Furman power conditioning; Sanus: racks