AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Turntables & Vinyl > Vinyl & Accessories

Vinyl & Accessories Food for the Soul

Old 06-25-2017, 01:13 AM

Default RCM thoughts

I have owned a few Nitty Gritty RCMs and have been pleased with their abilities. My current model, MiniPro2, has been plagued with issues. It is currently 3 yrs old and has been back to NG for repairs 4X. The most current and repeated problem is when I switch on the vacuum the GFI in the outlet engages. The previous time this happened the seal around vacuum failed due to use of enzyme cleaner in the tank and allowed fluid to leak onto the vacuum motor and cause a short. The vacuum issue now appears to be the same except when not plugged into GFI circuit the vacuum continues to run, but I feel this is not a safe situation. This RCM has cleaned less than 100 LPs. Now when cleaning with enzyme cleaners I will clean by hand first, wipe with a MF towel and then clean with PURE2 fluid on the RCM and vacuum. I feel it is time to move on, although I love the dual side cleaning simultaneously. I am not prepared to pay >$2500 so an ultrasonic is not possible. I am asking for personal experience on other brands that members have used. I require reliability. Thanks in advance.
Old 06-25-2017, 02:26 AM

If you like to tinker then a ultrasonic tank from internet, can be used with various assembly options. I see a kit on eBay. Utube also has how too videos.
I think the ready made units are wonderful,but I have other equipment to buy with the cost savings.
Just a option and definitely not for everyone.
Old 06-25-2017, 02:38 AM

I had a basic Nitty Gritty many years ago, but have since converted to VPI. I had a 16.5 for several years which worked very well, and now use an HW-27 which I'm quite happy with. I have found the VPIs to be very reliable, and probably as good as anything else short of the ultrasonic machines. The 27 has been discontinued, but VPI now makes the MW-1, which looks to be a nice machine for around $1200.
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2
Old 06-25-2017, 03:16 AM

My Nitty Gritty leaked from day one.

But I'd moved to a different country so I didn't manage to get it fixed under warranty.

A couple of years back, I was in a DIY phase so I opened it up to have a look. And it was easy to see where the leak was. From the water reservoir leading to the rubber hose that connected to the washer brushes.

Got some sealant. And some cable ties and it was back in business.

But eventually decided to spring for an ultrasonic cleaner. The AudioDesk which hopefully arrives next week.

I was initially more keen on the KL version because there was no need for brushes and liquid concentrates. But AudioDesk claimed they used a lower frequency and brushes vs a higher frequency US motor because they were concerned about potential damage to the records.
Old 06-25-2017, 07:36 AM
Just Pure Lucky

How many records would you clean in say an average week & average month?

Best sir,

Bob
Analogue Preamp:VAC Renaissance SE Phono stage in Silver Flake with XLR Output Option & with Nordost Valhalla XLR's.
Analogue Sources:SME 20/2 w/SME V arm & Nordost Valhalla TA cable, Palo Santos Presentation Cartridge & Akai GX-400D Reel-to-Reel w/relapped heads by JRF Magnetic Sciences. Akai RC-17 cabled remote (original owner since 1974).
Vibration Control:TT on HRS M3X2-1921 shelf.
Speakers:Wilson Audio Alexia in Argento Silver/Black grills sitting on Acoustic Diode Kit.
Power Cables:4 Nordost Odin Supreme Reference on amps, preamp & DAC. Ansuz Acoustics C2 on Transport & Clock.
Power Distribution Bar:Shunyata Everest 8000 w/Omega XC Power Cable.
Power Outlets:Furutech GTX-D NCF (R) duplex outlet, GTX Wall Plate & Duplex Cover (x2) on dedicated, same panel phase, 20A breakers.
Speaker Cables:3M Nordost Odin Supreme Reference on Nordost Sort Lifts.
Signal Cables:Nordost Odin XLR's on dCS DAC & Amps.
Digital Cables: Nordost Odin 2's, 110 ohm AES/EBU on dCS Transport to DAC.
Clock Cables:5 each 75 ohm 1.25M Nordost Valhalla BNC/BNC Digital
Ethernet Cable: WireWorld Platinum 1M Starlight® 8 Twinax
Headphones:Vintage Koss Pro IV AA.
RCM: Audio Desk PRO
Tube Test Gear:Mint late '60's/calibrated Heathkit TT-1A, MaxiMatcher Preamp & Space Tech Labs ATT-3.02 tube test sets.
Old 06-25-2017, 12:07 PM

My total LP collection is +450 not counting the individuals in my 25 box sets. I have slowed down on purchases so I would say 5 LPs per month. I wait until I get 10 ready to clean before I set all up to do the process.
Old 06-25-2017, 02:19 PM

I cleaned my 1000 record collection with a Klaudio. Sold the KL last year. Now, as I am collecting vinyl again, I keep thinking about getting another cleaner. I have a 16.5 in the garage but I don't see myself ever using that again. Painful process once you become spoiled by a drop-in-and-forget ultrasonic cleaner. If I spring for a new RCM, it will be the Clearaudio Double Matrix.

Preamp: McIntosh C1100T/C1100C, McIntosh MX180
Amp: McIntosh MC611 (2), MC601 (3), MI254
Digital: McIntosh D1100, McIntosh MCT450, Meridian 808v6, Aurender N20, Aurender ACS10, Oppo 203
Analog: McIntosh MT10, Hana Umami Red
Phono preamp: Simaudio Moon 610LP, 820S
Signal cables: WW Gold Eclipse 7 speaker cables; Shunyata Sigma v2 XLR (2); Sigma v1 XLR (2), Transparent Ref XL (MM2) XLR; WW Silver Eclipse 7 (4)
Digital cables: Shunyata Omega USB, Omega Ethernet, Sigma Ethernet; WW Platinum 7 Coax, AES/EBU
Switch: Innuos PhoenixNet
Power: Audioquest Niagara 7000, Audioquest 5000, Audioquest Dragon, Hurricane PC, Shunyata Alpha HC, AQ NRG Edison outlets, (8) 20 amp dedicated lines, 125 amp subpanel
Speakers: Wilson Sasha DAW, Dynaudio Contour 30, Dynaudio Contour 25C
Subs: REL s/812 (6), REL s/510 (3)
Accessories: HRS M3X2 shelf (MT10), Stillpoints Ultra II v2 w/ bases (21), Ultra SS (12), Mini (12), LPi v1
Sound treaments: Artnovion
Old 06-25-2017, 02:30 PM

I am a fan of the double matrix but not the $5500 price. A member had all of the top RCMs and the double matrix was his preferred choice for his cleaning regime.
Old 06-25-2017, 02:30 PM

I am sure if/when I get an us I will re lean all LPs
Old 06-25-2017, 02:31 PM

The AudioDesk is now on sale for $3699 and is whispering to me.