AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Revel Speakers

Revel Speakers The Science of Sound

Old 09-20-2016, 11:28 AM

As trponhunter stated in his post - integration is key. And I recommend getting at least 2 subs and making sure they're positioned correctly in your room. I have used SVSound, Velodyne, Energy and JL Audio in the past with great results. Currently I'm using 2 JBL Synthesis 12's in my set up and it is fantastic. (side note: I messed around with stereo vs mono and the best results -after a ton of listening- is mono for me)

If I had to buy a sub today, I would def go with SVSound, regardless of cost. They have a great in home trial period. No nonsense engineering or marketing hocus pocus.

No matter how much you spend or the brand you get - if you don't position them right / get the crossover point right - the set up won't sound right.
Old 09-20-2016, 05:46 PM

Positioning and accounting for group delay is one thing that holds me back, expense the other. Interesting to hear your endorsement of SVS, Pio. I've given them some consideration but feel like JL and REL seem to get all the press around here, especially JL. If on is willing to buy a pair of used V1) JLs, the costs are driven down considerably. There aren't enough used Rhythms around to make a market.

I passed on getting a pair of Rhythm2s at very big discounts recently, but I was tempted. Non sequitur observation: rhythm has to be one of the strangest spelling constructions in the English language.
Old 09-20-2016, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pampero View Post
Positioning and accounting for group delay is one thing that holds me back, expense the other. Interesting to hear your endorsement of SVS, Pio. I've given them some consideration but feel like JL and REL seem to get all the press around here, especially JL. If on is willing to buy a pair of used V1) JLs, the costs are driven down considerably. There aren't enough used Rhythms around to make a market.

I passed on getting a pair of Rhythm2s at very big discounts recently, but I was tempted. Non sequitur observation: rhythm has to be one of the strangest spelling constructions in the English language.

I have 2 Velodynes that are going strong after 11 years! One is currently in my HT and the other NEVER turns off as I leave my system on all the time in my office at the station. So, used subs arent a bad investment. As long as you can protect yourself by buying from a reputable source, and they're in good shape, etc.

JL and REL get press because they're finely engineered and sound fantastic. But, in my older age I have become more of a fan of price to performance ratio.
SVS (for me) is hard to beat. I ran a pair of their ENORMOUS PB-13Ultra's in my old set up with B&W's 802D2's and they were just spectacular. Had to sell them due to their size when I moved to the NYC area. Actually sold them to a friend that owned another "high end" brand and fell in love with my 13Ultras.

Do some digging, Audioholics has done full tests on several brands / models and they're testing is pretty intense, they torture subs - and don't hold back on reporting when a sub cries for mercy.

Anyways, whatever you do - if you decide on sub-woofing, get a pair. The dealer should assist you with concerns on group delay, phase, eq, etc.
Old 09-22-2016, 12:07 PM

SVS has its appeal, including the (45 day?) trial period. I've been mulling them over. I buy into the multiple sub approach to help smooth the in room response. It makes sense to me, so one expensive sub seems less efficacious than multiple less costly units. The Revels could do it all by their lonesome, but not within the context of my room acoustics.

Last edited by Pampero; 09-22-2016 at 12:09 PM.
Old 09-28-2016, 11:37 PM

Doing some shopping and research.......my favorite pastimes!
Old 09-29-2016, 04:00 PM

I have 2 JL 113's in their boxes at home. Have had them a couple of months now, but I am waiting on arrival of a new stand. Then I will reinstall everything and try to integrate the 2 subs. Hopefully the DARO will make it a little easier.
Speakers: Salon2 with F113v2 x 2
Analog: VPI Avenger Reference with Ortofon A95 and Esoteric E03 phonostage
Digital: Silenzio and Esoteric K03-x and G02
Power Management: PS Audio P10 x 2, P5
Cables: WW PE7 SC & IC, Furutech Flux-50 Filters
Rack: HRS SXR Signature
Old 10-01-2016, 11:34 PM

The F113s would be my JLs of choice.
Old 10-06-2016, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pampero View Post
SVS has its appeal, including the (45 day?) trial period. I've been mulling them over. .
Just today SVS released 2 new models with 16(!) drivers. Damn I miss living in a detached home!!!!
Old 10-10-2016, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pio View Post
Just today SVS released 2 new models with 16(!) drivers. Damn I miss living in a detached home!!!!
Yeah, it's nice to only have your wife shouting at you and not the neighbors adding their two bits! You can never, ever win that one!

Edit: I found some data on the new SVS. Looks interesting, and quite the massive driver.

Last edited by Pampero; 10-10-2016 at 06:34 PM.
Old 10-13-2016, 10:06 PM

I went with a pair of JL Audio F113 subs on Ivan's sub stands. I just need to experiment with plugging the port now but a bit hesitant as I may need to pull the bottom plinth off to do so.