AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > What are you Grilling?

What are you Grilling? What's Cooking

Old 09-05-2018, 11:52 AM
That's a Deusy !

Default Grilled Seafood

Ive always loved the flavor of charring on seafood. When I was a kid I went to Rio and they served lobster with grilled over charcoal with lime butter.

I regularly grill shrimp and for a treat lobster. What seafood do you grill?

I also have a fish basket for salmon , cod and even scallops.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2773-1030x1030.jpg (73.5 KB, 184 views)
Marantz( UD8004,AV8802a ), Oppo udp 203 JLAudio Fathom F-110, B&W( 802 series III , FCMS8, SCMS8) . WireWorld Eclipse 6 xlr(7) Sliver Eclipse 5.2 HDMI (3) electra 5.2 powercords . HRS Nimbus , lg 55 Oled Nvidia Shield PS Audio PPP

System 2 Panasonic G25 Marantz av8003

Last edited by Doug Lax; 09-05-2018 at 12:18 PM.
Old 09-05-2018, 12:31 PM

We grill everything. Our family loves seafood. The kids favorites are shrimp/prawns and the wife and I really love red snapper. Like you, we do lobster for a treat a couple times a year.
Old 09-05-2018, 06:39 PM

I have grilled all kinds of seafood but never a lobster--I have always steamed them.

Do you steam the lobsters first, split them and then grill them or do you split them live and grill them for the full cooking time, and how long is that?
Old 09-05-2018, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryProtein View Post
I have grilled all kinds of seafood but never a lobster--I have always steamed them.

Do you steam the lobsters first, split them and then grill them or do you split them live and grill them for the full cooking time, and how long is that?
I live in the middle of the desert so we don't get live lobster. They are sent from the Red Sea so they're about 24-48hrs old. I just cut them in half, season and throw on the grill. Just like the picture in Doug's first post. You should try it over charcoal or wood. Cooking time varies by size, but just think of it as a big shrimp. Try it, you'll love it.

Last edited by matt_zak; 09-05-2018 at 10:09 PM.
Old 09-07-2018, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryProtein View Post

From Meathead Goldwyn’s “Meathead”

“3 tablespoons unsalted butter (see Note)
½ tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon minced fresh flat-leaf parsley
1 teaspoon chopped fresh tarragon or ½*teaspoon dried
1 teaspoon chopped fresh chives
¼ teaspoon kosher salt (see Note)
Freshly cracked black pepper
2 live Maine lobsters, each about 1½ pounds
2 lemon wedges (optional)
1. Prep. In a small saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Stir in the olive oil, parsley, tarragon, chives, salt, and pepper to taste. Let the flavors blend for a bit over low heat but be careful not to let the butter turn brown. Remove from the heat and cover to keep warm.
2. Kill the lobsters quickly and painlessly: Put a lobster in a baking pan or sheet pan facing you. Place the tip of a sharp, heavy chef’s knife between the lobster’s eyes about ½ inch behind them, with the sharp edge of the knife facing you. Plunge the knife all the way through the lobster’s head and slice down, cutting the head right between the eyes, severing all major nerves. The lobster may twitch afterward, but it is dead, and because you’ve cut the nerves, it feels no pain. “Flip it over with its legs in the air and cut the lobster in half along the midsection. Hold the lobster firmly so it doesn’t slip on the work surface. Save any juices that emerge in the pan and mix them into the basting sauce. Repeat with the second lobster.
3. Remove the rubber bands from the claws. Scoop out any roe and tomalley from the head area. Roe, sometimes called coral, is a sac of eggs in female lobsters. It is dark green or black when fresh and turns reddish or orange when cooked. You may even find some in the tail if the female was laying. You can add them to the butter. The pale green tomalley is part of the digestive system. In 2008 the USDA issued a warning against eating it because it filters pollutants, including bacteria, from the water in which the lobster lived. Until our waters are cleaner, you should discard*it.
4. Fire up. Preheat the grill for two-zone cooking with the direct-heat side on warp 10 (maximum). You’ll be cooking with direct heat, and the indirect zone is your safe zone.
“5. Cook. Place the lobsters, shell sides down, over direct heat. Position the shells between two rungs in the cooking grate to prevent the lobsters from rolling. You may have to manipulate the large claw or place two halves side by side “to keep them from rolling. Some folks start them meat side down for a few minutes to get a bit more smoke flavor and some grill marks, but that tends to dry them out. Baste the meat with the butter sauce, close the lid, and baste once again after 3 to 4 minutes. When the meat in the thickest part of the tails is a minimum of 145°F and has changed from translucent to pearly white, perhaps 6 to 10 minutes, the lobsters are done. Baste one last time and remove them.
6. Serve. Crack open the claws with a wooden mallet, rolling pin, meat tenderizer, hammer, or kitchen shears. Serve them with any leftover butter for dunking, and squeeze the lemon wedges on the meat, if you wish. You can suck on the feathery gills and the small legs, or freeze them for making lobster bisque.
NOTE: If you use salted butter, cut the amount of salt in half. Remember, you can always add salt, but you can’t take it away.”

Excerpt From
Meathead
Meathead Goldwyn
https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/mea...15960173?mt=11
This material may be protected by copyright.
Speakers: Salon2 with F113v2 x 2
Analog: VPI Avenger Reference with Ortofon A95 and Esoteric E03 phonostage
Digital: Silenzio and Esoteric K03-x and G02
Power Management: PS Audio P10 x 2, P5
Cables: WW PE7 SC & IC, Furutech Flux-50 Filters
Rack: HRS SXR Signature
Old 09-05-2018, 06:55 PM

very nice Doug, love grilled seafood! Have done lobster too
Old 09-06-2018, 12:30 AM

Thank you!
Old 09-06-2018, 12:31 AM
Ultra-Fast 69

Seafood is great, choice wisely and responsibly!

Most people do not know how to cook seafood and end up with a bad experience.

Grilling outside is a great way but be careful you don’t overcook.

Remove Lobster meat from the shell then reinsert and remember to splice the membrane and be careful not to overcook.

Another favorite is soaking cedar planks and cooking Wild Alaskan Salmon over the open flame as the cedar burns, it smokes giving that nice flavor!
Old 09-06-2018, 02:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by For The Love of Music View Post
Seafood is great, choice wisely and responsibly!

Most people do not know how to cook seafood and end up with a bad experience.

Grilling outside is a great way but be careful you don’t overcook.

Remove Lobster meat from the shell then reinsert and remember to splice the membrane and be careful not to overcook.

Another favorite is soaking cedar planks and cooking Wild Alaskan Salmon over the open flame as the cedar burns, it smokes giving that nice flavor!
+1 for the cedar. Alder is also great. I learned about that while living in Washington state.
Old 09-06-2018, 08:38 AM

We grilled swordfish kabobs over Labor Day weekend - turned out great!