AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > AudioAficionado News > Member System Forum

Member System Forum System Pictures and Descriptions

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-04-2021, 12:09 AM
Listener in Training

Default 80B's office system

A bit of background - we built our house and moved in back in the summer last year. Our son came from Seattle a week later for a week's vacation and ended up staying for close to a year, figuring it was better in Florida where Mom could cook for him while he worked remotely in his software engineering job. Plus, going down to Cape Canaveral for launches is damn cool.

So yours truly's office wasn't your's truly's office until the little emperor moved back to the left coast. I got a headphone setup on my desk with Audeze LCD-3 cans and a Feliks Audio Euforia amp, but wearing cans at my desk isn't my cup of tea all the time.

it's not a particularly large room (11'x14') and my desk is off-axis from the speaker placement. That said, I was able to re-utilize a few pieces of gear and can do some mix-and matching in here.

This setup has an old Marantz CD changer, a Rega P6 with Hana S cartridge, and a new Bluesound Node for a streamer. The McIntosh C2500 and MC275 put me in tube heaven. The KEF LS50s do a nice job in the room too, although they may not last too long.

Here's a picture of the system:

Masterlu, it's true, don't put me in time out - the speaker cable I'm using has to be 20+ years old, from an old spool bought at Radio Shack back in the day.

God bless her heart, Boss-girl saw all the dust on an old LP and said I should get a cleaner. I told her that there's a company from one of her favorite countries where our piano was made, and that sealed the deal - got a Degritter (made in Estonia) and set it up today:

I'm starting off the cleaning with some of my folks' old Christmas albums that haven't been played probably since Jimmy Carter was president, or maybe even Nixon. That Little Drummer Boy album in the photo saw a lot of use back in the day and the surface looks like it's seen battle. I really like the Degritter - simple to use, yet with flexibility, and there's less snap-crackle-and-pop and more detail after using it.

Anyhow, the office itself and the system are still a work in progress, but the system is an enjoyable addition to where I'm now spending more time. I may not let our son in here when he's back at Christmastime.
Sources: Vinyl: Clearaudio Innovation Wood turntable with 9" Universal tonearm, Da Vinci V2 cartridge, Stillpoints SS & Stillpoints clamp, McIntosh MVP 901, Apple Mac mini via Benchmark DAC 1, Aurender N100C via Schiit Yggdrasil
Control: McIntosh C1100, Mcintosh MX151
Power: Mcintosh MC2301s (front), McIntosh MC501 (center), Mcintosh MC402 (rear)
Speakers: Sonus Faber Amati Futura (front and back), SF Vox center
Power/connections: PS Audio Power Port receptacles, RGPC 400 pro (2) WireWorld interconnects and speaker cable