AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Power Conditioners

Power Conditioners Voltage regulation to AC Regeneration

Old 12-19-2020, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermerio View Post
Sorry to hear that. I mean you have surge protection? Isnt that its
Purpose?
Yes it is. Did not work. No big deal, insurance covered it. But you want to read this

https://www.online-tech-tips.com/com...s%20close%20by.
Old 12-19-2020, 09:26 PM

By the way, here is the Military Spec testing and burn-in of electronic components. Not for improving them but for testing their reliability and stabiliity.

Let's not pretend the Pentagon/Military contractors are dumb and don't know what they are doing while the "audiophile" knows best because he "hears" it....

Some audio companies insist on burn in of 600hrs because that is how long they think their gear needs. Why exactly 600 hrs? Nice, round arbitrary number way past any returns or memory of what the thing even sounded like out of the box? Absurd.

MIL-STD-883H
METHOD 1015.10
26 February 2010
METHOD 1015.10
BURN-IN TEST

http://forwardcomponents.com/wp-cont...td883_1015.pdf

Last edited by PHC1; 12-19-2020 at 09:28 PM.
Old 12-19-2020, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermerio View Post
How do you protect your whole house from surge?

My experience was when i got hit directly by lightning,
( i though it was an earthquake ) a couple of my electric
Fan got destroyed, some light bulb exploded. Lots of my
Appliances survived —thank you lightning rod— but i just
Cannot take chances when it comes to my sound system.
Get your electrician to install one before your main panel. Some are better than others. I think Square-D offers several models. Some on this forum may have favorites. As others may have pointed out, no surge protector is likely to survive a direct lightning strike, but most will protect against strikes in the vicinity of your home.
Old 12-19-2020, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSOphile View Post
Get your electrician to install one before your main panel. Some are better than others. I think Square-D offers several models. Some on this forum may have favorites. As others may have pointed out, no surge protector is likely to survive a direct lightning strike, but most will protect against strikes in the vicinity of your home.
Thank you. I think this is probably the best option.
Old 12-20-2020, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Get your electrician to install one before your main panel. Some are better than others ...
He'll need to check with his electric utility for this. Although this is the ideal solution - they're called Type 1 devices - not all utilities allow them to be installed. (Mine doesn't, for example, although they cannot offer a good reason for the policy.) Some utilities will only allow Type 1 devices if provided and installed by the utility itself, and some of them charge a monthly fee for the protection.

The next best option is a Type 2 device that is installed in your service panel. You can do that yourself if you're familiar with electric work - but obviously pay an electrician if you're not.
Primary sources: VPI TNT III/SDS turntable, SME-V arm; Bryston BDP-3 digital player; Bryston BDA-3 DAC; McIntosh MVP-881 disc player; McIntosh MR-80 tuner. Preamplifier Audio Research Ref 5SE; Audio Research Ref Phono 2SE; Moon 430 HA. Amplifiers Conrad Johnson Premier 1B; Audio Research D-300; Bryston 4B. Speakers Infinity IRS Beta. Recorders Tandberg TD20A; Crown SX-822; Nakamichi 670ZX; Alesis Masterlink ML-9600. Power Tice Power Block/Titan (x2); McIntosh MPC1500; API Ultra II-20; multiple 20A derated dedicated lines.
Old 12-20-2020, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleeds View Post
He'll need to check with his electric utility for this. Although this is the ideal solution - they're called Type 1 devices - not all utilities allow them to be installed. (Mine doesn't, for example, although they cannot offer a good reason for the policy.) Some utilities will only allow Type 1 devices if provided and installed by the utility itself, and some of them charge a monthly fee for the protection.

The next best option is a Type 2 device that is installed in your service panel. You can do that yourself if you're familiar with electric work - but obviously pay an electrician if you're not.
Thank you, cleeds. Type 2 devices are what most of us use for this purpose. In cases I'm familiar with, this can be done by a qualified electrician without getting the utility involved. When the device is installed, probably a good idea to also have the electrician check out the system's grounding, especially for older homes.
Old 12-21-2020, 11:19 AM

Quote:
... Type 2 devices are what most of us use for this purpose. In cases I'm familiar with, this can be done by a qualified electrician without getting the utility involved ...
Agreed, absolutely. It can even be a DIY task if you're comfortable and knowledgeable about working in a service panel.

I mentioned the Type 1 protectors because of your suggestion:
Quote:
Get your electrician to install one before your main panel.
Only Type 1 devices attach before the main panel. That's why the utility usually needs to be involved - you're actually installing it directly on their network.
Primary sources: VPI TNT III/SDS turntable, SME-V arm; Bryston BDP-3 digital player; Bryston BDA-3 DAC; McIntosh MVP-881 disc player; McIntosh MR-80 tuner. Preamplifier Audio Research Ref 5SE; Audio Research Ref Phono 2SE; Moon 430 HA. Amplifiers Conrad Johnson Premier 1B; Audio Research D-300; Bryston 4B. Speakers Infinity IRS Beta. Recorders Tandberg TD20A; Crown SX-822; Nakamichi 670ZX; Alesis Masterlink ML-9600. Power Tice Power Block/Titan (x2); McIntosh MPC1500; API Ultra II-20; multiple 20A derated dedicated lines.
Old 12-21-2020, 03:51 PM

Paradoxical proposal to solve the problem with the Transparent Reference conditioner. Ask your dealer to borrow a Transparent Powerbrick. I used one for years with no apparent impact on sound. Price is <$1,000, and as you know, it's an excellent brand.
Old 12-21-2020, 03:55 PM

Do you mean main panel or main breaker?
Dynaudio Heritage Special. Uptone Audio EtherRegen Ethernet Switch. Akasa NUC 10i7 with Roon Rock. Bryston BDP-3 Digital Music Player (with 4 Tb Internal SSD and Synology DS920+ NAS)-->Holo Audio May Kitsune Edition DAC-->Shunyata Sigma USB—>Gryphon Diablo 120 Integreted Amp w Transpatent XL PC. Oppo BDP-105D and BDP-203. Power: Shunyata Hydra Sigma S12 PD. Additional Cabling: WW Silver Electra PC, WW Electra PC, Shunyata Venom 3 PC. Digital: WW Starlight Ethernet, WW Gold Starlight AES-EBU, WW Platinum Starlight USB. IC and Speaker: WW Eclipse 8.

Bedroom System
Ipad with MusicStreamer App-->Schiit Jotunheim DAC/Amp—>Audeze LCD-XC, Focal for Bentley Radiance HO, Massdrop E-MU Teak HP. AK SE 200 DAP.

Mobile Survival Kit
Astell & Kern SP1000M. Noble Kaiser Encore IEM with Double Helix Balanced cable, Westone W80 IEM w ALOaudio Ref 8 cable, Westone W60 IEM, Shure se535 Ltd with Westone Bluetooth Wireless cable-amp. Mark Levinson No. 5909 Wireless HP.
Old 12-21-2020, 04:32 PM

I am not an electrician, but here's what I see via Google:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZcJuKqSfvY
Hope it helps.