View Poll Results: Show must go on?
YES, I would go if I'm in the area 6 18.75%
Yes, but I wouldn't attend due to the risks 2 6.25%
No, they should cancel it 24 75.00%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-08-2020, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiojem View Post
I'm surprised they have not cancelled it already.
My son lives in Chicago and the company he works for has a plan in place for employees to work from home if this gets worse.
Regards
AJ
AXPONA may very well have the same plan however, they are probably on much shorter timelines as vendors would start shipping everything in starting end of this week.
Old 03-08-2020, 12:59 PM

I am registered for probably the first time in my life I bought the 'insurance' option.

Here is the information posted on the AXPONA site;

AXPONA 2020

AXPONA is closely monitoring the coronavirus outbreak and will continue to provide regular updates as the health, safety and well-being of the AXPONA community is our highest priority.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) have publicly deemed the health risk of coronavirus for the general American public to be low at this time and have urged us to all go about our normal lives. Therefore, AXPONA is proceeding as scheduled April 17-19, 2020 at the Renaissance Schaumburg Hotel & Convention Center in Schaumburg, IL

Traveling to Illinois

Attendees should not travel to AXPONA if they are feeling unwell. Attendees should monitor the CDC travel guidelines prior to their departure.

O’Hare Airport (ORD) is complying with the travel restrictions signed by the U.S. Government on January 31, 2020, which bars entry to the U.S. of most foreign nationals who traveled to China within the 14 days immediately prior to arrival in the United States.

Sanitation Measures

AXPONA is providing the following guidelines and updates to attendees on healthy procedures and tips:

While the risk remains low at this time, AXPONA will be a no handshake, no contact event. We recommend fist and elbow bumps instead.

Renaissance Schaumburg Hotel & Convention Center has a disinfectant procedure in place for nightly and daily cleanings during move-in and throughout the conference, which adhere to the CDC and the World Health Organization (WHO) guidance.

There will be an increased number of hand sanitation sites available in the Renaissance Schaumburg Hotel & Convention Center providing alcohol-based hand sanitizer for all attendees and staff.

Disposable, disinfectant wipes will be provided so commonly used surfaces (e.g. doorknobs, keyboards, presentation materials, desk surfaces, etc.) can be routinely sanitized.

We encourage exhibitors to frequently clean and disinfect high traffic areas of their listening rooms and booths

All participants are encouraged to wash hands frequently using soap and water for 20 seconds.
Situation Monitoring

AXPONA staff is meeting on a regular basis with key conference stakeholders, including the Renaissance Schaumburg Hotel & Convention Center and local health agencies to evaluate any risk in the host city.

AXPONA is also actively monitoring CDC and WHO updates for further information.

RELEASED UPDATES
AXPONA 2020 Update - March 5, 2020
AXPONA 2020 ON SCHEDULE - ADDRESSES CORONAVIRUS CONCERNS - February 28, 2020

And a handy link if you want to look for updates.

https://www.axpona.com/landing9.asp
Old 03-08-2020, 02:57 PM

I say yes! The media is blowing this way out of proportion. I would be more concerned about influenza. Yet the media says nothing about this.

So far, the CDC has estimated (based on weekly influenza surveillance data) that at least 12,000 people have died from influenza between Oct. 1, 2019 through Feb. 1, 2020, and the number of deaths may be as high as 30,000.

Speakers: Von Schweikert VR-5 Anniversary MK II Front L/R, LCR-35 Center, VR-1 Rear L/R Sub: JL Audio F113
Amps: PS Audio BHK Signature 300 Mono, McIntosh MC207 Pre-Amp PS Audio BHK Signature and Gold Note PH-10 Phono Stage/PSU-10 Power Supply
Turntable: VPI HR-X 12.7 TONEARM (2) and SDS, Stillpoints LPI
Tape Deck Otari 5050B II2
Music Server: Aurender N100H
Cartridges: Ortofon Cadenza Black, Lyra Helikon Mono Digital Source: Oppo UDP-205 DAC: Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE
SSP: Marantz AV8801 Cables: Wireworld Electra 7 (P) Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7, Shunyata Delta NR (I) Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7 (S)
Wireworld Platinum Starlight 7 (USB)
AC Power Regeneration: PS Audio DirectStream P15 Power Plant and Shunyata Denali 6000s V2.
Old 03-08-2020, 05:45 PM

Keep in mind that most respiratory virus outbreaks die down by Spring. AXPONA doesn't occur until mid April. We'll have to see how this one does.

I have hotel reservations, but, coming from Texas, the trip would cost me ~$800 with for hotels, gas, food, etc. Which is a decent chunk of change to apply to audio gear!

Weird -- the older and more decrepit my ears get, the greater my desire to buy newer and better "audiophile" gear!

Last edited by mtrot; 03-08-2020 at 05:49 PM.
Old 03-08-2020, 06:22 PM

Default Should AXPONA 2020 go on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiophilehi View Post
I say yes! The media is blowing this way out of proportion. I would be more concerned about influenza. Yet the media says nothing about this.

So far, the CDC has estimated (based on weekly influenza surveillance data) that at least 12,000 people have died from influenza between Oct. 1, 2019 through Feb. 1, 2020, and the number of deaths may be as high as 30,000.

Below are a few points of difference between Covid-19 and seasonal flu from the World Health Organization. As I understand it, although there are, of course, fewer deaths so far, this thing is just getting started and could cause far higher numbers of deaths if (or when) it really gets rolling, and it’s picking up speed quickly. So while the risk of catching it in an area that hasn’t seen significant activity may be low right now, this will likely change, and if you do catch it, the risk of death is much higher, especially if you’re older (like a majority of audiophiles?) or have underlying health issues. The key is the more we do now to contain it, the better chance we have of having it cause fewer deaths.

“...COVID-19 causes more severe disease than seasonal influenza.
While many people globally have built up immunity to seasonal flu strains, COVID-19 is a new virus to which no one has immunity. That means more people are susceptible to infection, and some will suffer severe disease. Globally, about 3.4% of reported COVID-19 cases have died. By comparison, seasonal flu generally kills far fewer than 1% of those infected.

...we have vaccines and therapeutics for seasonal flu, but at the moment there is no vaccine and no specific treatment for COVID-19.

...we don’t even talk about containment for seasonal flu – it’s just not possible. But it is possible for COVID-19. We don’t do contact tracing for seasonal flu – but countries should do it for COVID-19, because it will prevent infections and save lives.”
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2

Last edited by Antonmb; 03-08-2020 at 07:01 PM.
Old 03-08-2020, 08:37 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Just to add to the good information that Tony has provided:

The R0 of COVID-19 may be as high as 4, the R0 of H3N2 Influenza B is 1.3.

The lethality index of COVID-19 is as, Tony has pointed out, about 3.4% presently. The lethality index of H3N2 is 0.1%. This makes COVID-19 approximately 34X as deadly as H3N2 Influenza B.

While Influenza B typically subsides in the April/May time-frame, we have no epidemiological data to know what will happen with COVID-19. Most epidemiologists are predicting we will have continued expansion in the number of cases and deaths for the next year. It also appears that the strain in Italy has become more virulent than the strain in Wuhan.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 03-08-2020 at 08:39 PM.
Old 03-08-2020, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
Just to add to the good information that Tony has provided:

The R0 of COVID-19 may be as high as 4, the R0 of H3N2 Influenza B is 1.3.

The lethality index of COVID-19 is as, Tony has pointed out, about 3.4% presently. The lethality index of H3N2 is 0.1%. This makes COVID-19 approximately 34X as deadly as H3N2 Influenza B.

While Influenza B typically subsides in the April/May time-frame, we have no epidemiological data to know what will happen with COVID-19. Most epidemiologists are predicting we will have continued expansion in the number of cases and deaths for the next year. It also appears that the strain in Italy has become more virulent than the strain in Wuhan.
We actually don't know what the mortality rate will be in the US, or really in many other countries either. That is because we have no idea how many have contracted the virus and have had either no symptoms or only mild illness. The denominator may be much larger than presently known. And also because of the vastly better health care available in the US, relative to other countries.

Weird -- the older and more decrepit my ears get, the greater my desire to buy newer and better "audiophile" gear!
Old 03-09-2020, 01:15 AM

As an 80-year-old just five weeks out of hip replacement surgery and with a pair of coronary artery bypasses gracing my resumé, I have to view the varying lethality indices--including the most "optimistic" projections--as about as indicative of likely outcomes as 1970s harmonic distortion specs served to predict amplifier sound quality. And the reports out of Italy, if confirmed, that COVID-19 may be "evolving" render the already source-data-shy guessing game an even trickier roll of the dice.

Unless there's an absolutely essential reason for me to do otherwise, this kid's staying put at home...which means, of course, more playing time for the rips and downloads.

Bedroom: Aurender N150, TEAC UD-505 (AKM version), EMIA Cu Elmaformer passive line stage, conrad-johnson MF2500, Paradigm Studio 20 v5. Shunyata Delta D6, Altaira CG hub. Shunyata Alpha XC, Delta NR v2, Alpha USB, Alpha and Venom CGC/SGC. Wireworld Eclipse 8 interconnect & speaker cables. Stillpoints footers, Butcher Block Acoustics maple platforms. Stillpoints and GIK acoustic panels.

Home Office:Windows 11 PC/JRiver 31, TEAC UD-501, Luminous Audio Technology Axiom II Walker Mod passive, conrad-johnson Sonographe SA-250, Paradigm SE-1. Shunyata Hydra (Original Version), Venom 10 NR. Wireworld Eclipse 7 interconnects. Blue Jeans speaker cable.

Living-Dining Room: Windows 11 Laptop/JRiver 29, Oppo BD-83, TEAC UD-501 DAC, SOTA Sapphire TT, Graham Slee Era Gold V, Ortofon 2M Black, McIntosh MR-77, c-j Sonographe SC-25, c-j MF2500, Paradigm SE-3. Wireworld 8 IC, Blue Jeans SC. Shunyata Hydra 8 v.2, Shunyata Delta NR, Venom NR. GIK 244 bass & scatter-plate panels.
Old 03-09-2020, 01:39 AM

Default Should AXPONA 2020 go on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrot View Post
We actually don't know what the mortality rate will be in the US, or really in many other countries either. That is because we have no idea how many have contracted the virus and have had either no symptoms or only mild illness. The denominator may be much larger than presently known. And also because of the vastly better health care available in the US, relative to other countries.

Of course you’re right about the mortality rate, it’s still early days so the rate could end up being lower. As for our health care system, it’s not so vastly superior as it used to be, and only for those who can afford it. We rank 37th in the world, vs Switzerland at 20 - which quickly is becoming one of the hotspots for Covid-19. Since there is no real treatment for it, the quality of our healthcare has less impact.
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2

Last edited by Antonmb; 03-09-2020 at 01:57 AM.
Old 03-09-2020, 01:42 AM
Living La Vida Vinyl

I'd be wary of entering any room that had large flashing emojis. :-0