AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Manley Labs

Manley Labs Professional High-Fi Audio Gear

Old 05-06-2014, 10:49 PM
Go Dawgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by kleinbje View Post
Manley states they have heard of this and advised me to send it in. I bought a Lamm lp2 deluxe yesterday
The Lamm is a very nice phono stage.....have you gotten to sit down and really compare the differences yet between it and the Chinook?

- Buck
Library: Speakers: Avalon Acoustics Isis, Subwoofers: (2) REL Acoustics 212SE Amplification: D’agostino Momentum preamplifier, D’agostino S250 stereo amplifier Digital: dCS Rossini CD/SACD transport, dCS Rossini DAC/streamer/master clock. Analog: Brinkmann Taurus table, Lyra Etna Lambda, Audio Research Ref. Phono 3
Old 05-07-2014, 12:03 PM

So the Chinook finally arrived yesterday and I got it hooked up and loaded. The careful listening session that I planned on was not to be. GF came home earlier than expected with heels clomping and banging pots and pans. So I cut it short.

But what did stand out to me right away was the truly holographic sound stage! The whole presentation had a very airy quality that wasn't present with my old head amp. Transient attacks were much more apparent with the Chinook too.

I likes what I'm hearing so far, for sure. So what can one expect as time goes by and the pre amp and tubes burn in?

-Mike
Old 05-07-2014, 02:15 PM

The very first thing I noticed was how quiet it is. the chinook is quiet, very quiet, but the Lamm is silent and much more well defined in the imaging. I still am fine tuning and still breaking in and adjusting a new 3d arm, so lots of variables in play.
Old 05-07-2014, 04:36 PM
Go Dawgs

Quote:
The very first thing I noticed was how quiet it is. the chinook is quiet, very quiet, but the Lamm is silent and much more well defined in the imaging. I still am fine tuning and still breaking in and adjusting a new 3d arm, so lots of variables in play.
I've always been a little curious as to how quiet the Chinook should be. This is my first phono preamp, so I have no idea what the common phono stage should be like when it comes to noise. My Chinook sounds very good to my ears, but there is quite a bit of tube rush/hiss, but only when you turn it up. That being said, my volume pot on the C 2300 goes from 0 to 100. My normal listening level is around 35 or so (Avalon speakers are not the most efficient, but I also don't listen very loud). Once the volume gets to about 50 or so, that's when I begin to hear the tube rush, so basically about halfway up the volume ladder. Anyone know if this is normal or not? Does the same with the stock tubes as well as NOS Amperex I just put in. I guess it could be an issue if I ever want to crank it up. Should this thing be silent until you get to insane volume levels?
Library: Speakers: Avalon Acoustics Isis, Subwoofers: (2) REL Acoustics 212SE Amplification: D’agostino Momentum preamplifier, D’agostino S250 stereo amplifier Digital: dCS Rossini CD/SACD transport, dCS Rossini DAC/streamer/master clock. Analog: Brinkmann Taurus table, Lyra Etna Lambda, Audio Research Ref. Phono 3
Old 05-07-2014, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy3107 View Post
I've always been a little curious as to how quiet the Chinook should be. This is my first phono preamp, so I have no idea what the common phono stage should be like when it comes to noise. My Chinook sounds very good to my ears, but there is quite a bit of tube rush/hiss, but only when you turn it up. That being said, my volume pot on the C 2300 goes from 0 to 100. My normal listening level is around 35 or so (Avalon speakers are not the most efficient, but I also don't listen very loud). Once the volume gets to about 50 or so, that's when I begin to hear the tube rush, so basically about halfway up the volume ladder. Anyone know if this is normal or not? Does the same with the stock tubes as well as NOS Amperex I just put in. I guess it could be an issue if I ever want to crank it up. Should this thing be silent until you get to insane volume levels?
It sounds like your chinook is pretty quiet till 50% higher than your standard listening level, sounds good! The best thing about the chinook was how involving it was. It made you want to sing and shake your ass, that what I loved about it especially with nos amp7308's. Is it making you want to go through your collection again to hear how your favorite songs sound, if so it is the right one
Old 05-08-2014, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Is it making you want to go through your collection again to hear how your favorite songs sound, if so it is the right one
Precisely the feeling that I'm getting already.
Old 05-08-2014, 11:03 AM
Music Lover!

Congrats! I would give it around 100 hours for a very good break-in on the tubes. The Chinook is very quiet, but not dead silent like SS gear. To me voices are extremely natural.
Old 05-14-2014, 05:27 PM

Well it didn't take long for the Amperex 7308 order to be placed! :-)

I've had it for a little over a week and the stock Chinook sounds really wonderful compared to the SS head amp that it replaced. But of course I can't help but wonder what I am missing by not using NOS tubes compared to the meager Russian tubes that Manley uses. If it sounds this good stock, I can't wait to hear what the 7308's lend to the Chinook.

I sprung for the Platinum grade from UpscaleAudio. WTH right?
Old 05-14-2014, 08:23 PM
Go Dawgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinaMoe View Post
Well it didn't take long for the Amperex 7308 order to be placed! :-)

I sprung for the Platinum grade from UpscaleAudio. WTH right?
That's awesome, those are the exact tubes I just put in the Chinook a few days ago, I got them from Kevin at Upscale as well. Don't have a whole lot of feedback on them yet since I probably don't have more than 2 hrs. on them. Based on what I've read in various places, the Amperex tubes are pretty nice and should be a nice step up from the stock.
Old 05-14-2014, 10:23 PM
Music Lover!

LOL That's funny that your already thinking about putting Amperex NOS. Very good choice, you will get more natural voices, some more spacyness, better imaging, the instruments will sound more natural tone, more on the warmer/tubey sound, but still some very nice detail.