AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Music

Music What really matters most

Old 07-23-2022, 10:47 AM
TechDAS AF 1 & Vitus MP

It’s the Pinocchio attitude that MoFi has been pushing that bothers me the most. I have a few MoFi pressings, but the great majority aren’t.

Magico M3s; Vitus Masterpiece Components; TechDAS Air Force One; 2 x SME 3012-R; Airtight Opus 1 and MSL Platinum Signature; Taiko Audio Extreme + Switch; Albedo Metamorphosis Signature cables.
Old 07-23-2022, 11:14 AM

So basically transparency is not in their vocabulary. Truth is, I haven't bought a MOFI pressing since the Kind of Blue 45 rpm release several years ago. They got me on "The Nightfly" 1-step release, which I thought was pretty good, but not overwhelmingly so, and IMHO, not worth the money. It just wasn't that much better than my original pressing.

I do have the Analog Productions UHQR release of Kind of Blue that I haven't opened yet. Guess I'll have to do an A/B comparison.

Failing to disclose the 4X DSD bit...EGREGIOUS. I can certainly understand why certain members of our hobby are pissed beyond words.

Have they updated their little diagram illustration?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mofi 1 Step.jpg (89.0 KB, 34 views)
McIntosh MA8000; McIntosh MC1502; Canton Vento Reference 1 DC; E.A.T. E-Flat; Soundsmith Paua Mk II; Technics SL 1210 MK5; Audio Technica AT-150 MLX; Tascam BR-20; Teac X1000R; Pioneer RT-707; Oppo UDP 205; Denon DCD A-100; HP All-In-One Touchscreen Server; JRiver MC 28; Woo Audio WA6; Shure SRH 1840; SVS SB 1000; Jolida 502BRC; Jolida JD9; VPI 16.5 RCM; Wireworld Oasis 8 Speaker Cables; Audoquest Columbia 72 DBS IC's; Panamax PM-5400 (source components only)

Last edited by FreddieFerric; 07-23-2022 at 02:38 PM.
Old 07-27-2022, 05:08 PM
TechDAS AF 1 & Vitus MP

A Statement from Mobile Fidelity Regarding Its Mastering Process

We at Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab are aware of customer complaints regarding use of digital technology in our mastering chain. We apologize for using vague language, allowing false narratives to propagate, and for taking for granted the goodwill and trust our customers place in the Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab brand.

We recognize our conduct has resulted in both anger and confusion in the marketplace. Moving forward, we are adopting a policy of 100% transparency regarding the provenance of our audio products. We are immediately working on updating our websites, future printed materials, and packaging — as well as providing our sales and customer service representatives with these details. We will also provide clear, specific definitions when it comes to Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab marketing branding such as Original Master Recording (OMR) and UltraDisc One-Step (UD1S). We will backfill source information on previous releases so Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab customers can feel as confident in owning their products as we are in making them.

We thank you for your past support and hope you allow us to continue to provide you the best-sounding records possible — an aim we've achieved and continue to pursue with pride.

Jim Davis
President, Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab

https://www.musicdirect.com/a-statem...tering-process

Magico M3s; Vitus Masterpiece Components; TechDAS Air Force One; 2 x SME 3012-R; Airtight Opus 1 and MSL Platinum Signature; Taiko Audio Extreme + Switch; Albedo Metamorphosis Signature cables.
Old 07-27-2022, 08:19 PM

Main - Roon on Synology/Sonos Port/SoTM Neo endpoints; Chord Qutest, Bryston BP-17 cubed with phono option; EAT C-sharp with Ortofon Bronze MM, Bryston cubed Amplifier; Revel F126Be on custom Atocha stands; interconnects by WireWorld, furniture by Atocha Design 'Phones Audeze LCD-3, Bryston BHA-1; Office: Sonos/Roon; OPPO HA-1, Naim NAP100 and PSB Mini-C. Media Room:, Samsung QLED QN90 series, Sonos, OPPO 205, ATI N-core driving KEF LS-50's with REL subs; furniture by Glassisimo; Kids - U-turn for vinyl, Sonos Play5; Summer Shack - Sonos, vintage Pioneer, Dynaudio Special 40's.
Old 07-27-2022, 10:23 PM

I've mostly been avoiding these discussions, but the one thing I will say is if someone enjoyed their MoFi pressing and talked about how great it sounds 3 months ago, how exactly has the sound changed now that they know DSD was involved?
Old 07-28-2022, 07:10 AM
TechDAS AF 1 & Vitus MP

For some people it’s more about honesty, integrity, and transparency. I purchased very few MoFi records and the ones I do have I’m giving to a close friend so he can try them. I didn’t like the sound so stopped purchasing.

IMO if MoFi had been truely sorry for what they had done then they would have offered restitution of some sorts. They didn’t.

I’ve decided not to purchase from MoFi or Music Direct for the foreseeable future. I’m going to take a sit back and see attitude what the company does,

Old 07-28-2022, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W9TR View Post
…….
Sunlight is the best disinfectant. Time for MoFi to come clean and do what they do best - make great sounding records.
Glad to see MoFi do what they needed to do. Excellent!
Proac Response 1sc Rears,
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears
C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 80
Nottingham Dais with Wave Mechanic
Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation

SurfacePro 3, RPi 4, ROON, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:
Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 77, Rega P3

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v
Old 07-28-2022, 09:41 AM

I don't really have skin in this game as I've only got 1 MoFi release, but I did pre-order the Van Halen S/T 1S from them just to see what it's all about. Music Direct is local to me, so they've been a good way to get new releases that my local stores don't stock without risk of shipping across the country. But, I completely understand everyone has their own view of this situation. On the opposite side of the coin I've got countless Analogue Productions pressings in terms of "audiophile" remasters/releases.
Old 07-28-2022, 10:00 AM
TechDAS AF 1 & Vitus MP

These labels are analogue. I’m sure there are more.

It would be great to have sticky note on pure analogue record labels. This way everyone can access the information …

Analogue Productions
Speakers Corner
Blue Note (but not always)
Sundazed Records

Old 07-28-2022, 10:04 AM
TechDAS AF 1 & Vitus MP

MoFi is becoming more transparent. They’ve clarified the digital step in photos. I’ve included the before and after pics:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 40EA20F7-CC4C-4806-AFC3-D369E7A1D882.jpg (11.6 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg C19BDC96-84ED-4E74-93B3-53CAA203D214.jpg (11.2 KB, 30 views)