AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Bryston Audio

Bryston Audio Unlimited, Unprecedented, Unequalled

Old 05-27-2022, 03:39 PM

Default So my BDP-3 went kaput...

...Yeah, it sucks. But, Bryston is not to blame at all I must precise. Reliability is second to none.

So the other day, we lost power due to a faulty equipment on the power grid (Hydro Québec told us). Two days later, just wanted to relax and listen to some music and I got this error message on the display...

"Mains Voltage Low, Error 000". There was nothing specified in the manual for this specific error message.

I suspect that due to the power failure, there was some sort of micro burst on the power grid that killed my BDP-3. I tried to unplug and restart but no luck.
I will contact Bryston but in the meantime if someone has a clue on the issue, please share. I will pop open the cover just to see if it's not a blown fuse.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4661.jpg (89.4 KB, 54 views)
Old 05-27-2022, 10:07 PM

Hey Serge-

Real bummer with the BDP3! Hopefully just a blown fuse.
Keep us posted on your findings.

John
Old 05-28-2022, 09:21 AM

Aaaargh please accept sympathies from yet another BDP-3 owner. That is certainly an odd prompt it is giving you! Of course Bryston will help resolve this but it's still an annoyance. Good luck to you Serge and please keep us posted.
Primary sources: VPI TNT III/SDS turntable, SME-V arm; Bryston BDP-3 digital player; Bryston BDA-3 DAC; McIntosh MVP-881 disc player; McIntosh MR-80 tuner. Preamplifier Audio Research Ref 5SE; Audio Research Ref Phono 2SE; Moon 430 HA. Amplifiers Conrad Johnson Premier 1B; Audio Research D-300; Bryston 4B. Speakers Infinity IRS Beta. Recorders Tandberg TD20A; Crown SX-822; Nakamichi 670ZX; Alesis Masterlink ML-9600. Power Tice Power Block/Titan (x2); McIntosh MPC1500; API Ultra II-20; multiple 20A derated dedicated lines.
Old 06-09-2022, 10:58 AM

Thanks guys.

Well, I guess I had it diagnosed correctly. I opened up the unit and quickly located fuse F1 to be burnt. It's pretty obvious as you can see in the pictures. My understanding is that fuse F2 allows for some current to flow as a backup and probably extra safety, that is why I could still read the screen but not able to power it back on. Anyway, I need a new fuse now.

I contacted Bryston by phone last Monday (we are Thursday now) and haven't got a call back to me. I am a bit disapointed as I feel all I can do is to sit and wait. I don't know how I can obtain a factory fuse. I could order some quality fuses from Mouser but I would prefer to have the exact same that Bryston install in their units. Well, maybe I could order a Synergistic Purple as an upgrade while at it. It may be quicker than to wair for Bryston to reply. All I can do for now is to DeoxIt the fuse socket, which I already did. Will keep you posted.

Serge
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4750.jpg (92.7 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4752.jpg (88.8 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4755.jpg (92.5 KB, 46 views)
Old 06-09-2022, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parabellum View Post
... I could order some quality fuses from Mouser but I would prefer to have the exact same that Bryston install in their units ...
You can probably buy the exact same value fuse locally, such as from an electrical supply house. That might get your BDP-3 back on line sooner rather than later.

But, much as I hesitate to say this, I suspect that the burnt fuse is just a symptom of another, underlying problem that will require service to repair.
Primary sources: VPI TNT III/SDS turntable, SME-V arm; Bryston BDP-3 digital player; Bryston BDA-3 DAC; McIntosh MVP-881 disc player; McIntosh MR-80 tuner. Preamplifier Audio Research Ref 5SE; Audio Research Ref Phono 2SE; Moon 430 HA. Amplifiers Conrad Johnson Premier 1B; Audio Research D-300; Bryston 4B. Speakers Infinity IRS Beta. Recorders Tandberg TD20A; Crown SX-822; Nakamichi 670ZX; Alesis Masterlink ML-9600. Power Tice Power Block/Titan (x2); McIntosh MPC1500; API Ultra II-20; multiple 20A derated dedicated lines.
Old 06-09-2022, 12:17 PM

Hurray!! It's back online!!

When writing earlier about SR fuses, it got me thinking that I have 2 small slo-blo 500mA Blue fuses inside my amplifier which are of the exact same values of my BDP-3 F1. Those Blue fuses are not on the signal path and I remember when I installed them, I could not really hear a significant difference. It was quite negligible actually. So I opened up the amplifier and salvaged those two Blue fuses and had them replaced with two Busman 500mA but fast acting. It's not an issue for my amplifier as it required 400mA slo-blo, so going one notch above while still fast acting is even safer (my tech told me about this when I started toying with fuses). I could have just installed those in the BDP-3 but didn't wan't this unit to be out of specs as I felt I already had a problem of its own on my hands... I oriented the logo of SR in the direction of what I believe to be the direction of the signal path as those fuses are directional.

So, plugged everything back and it has become to life again. Quite happy camper here. Right of the bat, I can hear more clarity and less meat on the bone with the Blue fuse installed so I will just let my hears to acclimate to the sound and see if I like the change. I will require a fuse from Bryston in parallel.

I will monitor about a larger problem since the fuse blew. I suspect it was due to the power failure but who knows.

Thanks again!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6903.jpg (86.3 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6943.jpg (91.3 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4756.jpg (90.7 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4759.jpg (91.1 KB, 54 views)
Old 06-09-2022, 05:53 PM

Great news! This looks like a problem solved - the fuse did its job.
Old 06-09-2022, 08:39 PM

Great job!
Old 06-09-2022, 10:02 PM

Serge-

Good to know you are back on line with a simple solution no less. Interesting observation on the fuse replacement; tweaks can have trade-offs and ours ears do adjust.

Enjoy the sounds!

John
Old 06-09-2022, 11:11 PM

Thanks all!

I had the habit to let the BDP-3 powered on but since this happened to me once, I don't want it to happen again so I will now power it down after listening. Just to be safe...