AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 04-10-2022, 12:55 AM

I just got a new c2700. I’ve been wanting to get a pair of 2301 for some time, but it’s not happening. Current amp is a mc312. The c2700 is replacing a ps audio bhk preamp.

The c2700 sounded like 5$ when I got it :-(. I did not want to return it, I live in the boonies and it’s a lot of work, I got 2 NOS tubes, the 12AT7 was busted… and then magic…. The synergy with the MC312 is fantastic. speakers are MA PL200ii.
This preamp and amp combos is fantastic, that is no news.

The interesting question is how good is the ds2 module. I have some decent DACs around, the one I use now is a bricasti M3. Will do some comparing.
Old 04-10-2022, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheezWhiz View Post
The c2700 sounded like 5$ when I got it :-(. I did not want to return it, I live in the boonies and it’s a lot of work, I got 2 NOS tubes, the 12AT7 was busted… and then magic….
If I understand your post correctly, the C2700 came with a bad 12AT7 tube? If so, that sucks! Glad to hear you fixed it. What NOS tube did you replace it with?

I have a similar system except that I'm using a C22 and an MC462. McIntosh tube preamps combined with their solid state amps really do make a great pair. Happy to hear that you are enjoying it.

Last edited by Stahle; 04-10-2022 at 01:13 AM.
Old 04-10-2022, 04:48 PM

Quote:
I just got a new c2700. I’ve been wanting to get a pair of 2301 for some time, but it’s not happening. Current amp is a mc312. The c2700 is replacing a ps audio bhk preamp.

The c2700 sounded like 5$ when I got it :-(. I did not want to return it, I live in the boonies and it’s a lot of work, I got 2 NOS tubes, the 12AT7 was busted… and then magic…. The synergy with the MC312 is fantastic. speakers are MA PL200ii.
This is interesting. My brand new MA352 had a broken 12AT7 in it right out of the box. Coincidence? Or does McIntosh have a bad batch of tubes on their hands? Or someone who doesn’t know how to install them? I could sort of see how it could have gotten broken on the 352 the way they stick up out of the top, but seems odd to have a broken one in a C2700.

I’m not crazy with the integrated so replacing with separates. C2700/MC462 on order. Hope all the tubes arrive intact.
Old 04-10-2022, 10:37 PM

My c2700 had a bad tube also. My dealer fixed it with extras he had on hand. I’m not sure if that means anything or just statistically possible with tubes.

2-Channel
McIntosh C2700, (2X)MC601, MEN220 Lampizator Baltic 3
Sonore opticalRendu, SGC sonicTransporter i5 (Gen 3), Roon Thorens TT TD318
B&W 803D3 JL Audio (2x)f110v2
Shunyata Denali/S v2, Alpha v2 PCs, WW Gold/Silver Eclipse Interconnects, Platinum USB

Whole House Music Listening
Bluesound Vault2i, PowerNode2, PulseMini2i, Pulse2, (3x)Flex
5.2 System Above using Passthru
Marantz SR7012
Oppo 205, Apple TV (4th gen), Sony XBR850e65
B&W HTM2 D3
Second 5.1 System Castoffs from Upgrades
LRC Paradigm Millenia 20, Velodyne MiniVee 10, KEF surrounds, DefTech AW6500
Old 04-11-2022, 12:40 AM

Sorry I wasn’t very clear. That’s interesting folks - Looks like I’m not alone. I got the c2700 from magnolia, the only dealer I can drive to. I set everything up and it sounded like total sh**, I mean not subtle. Both the 12at7 and 12ax7a were glowing funky. So I ordered a Mullard and an RCA NOS for each as I was not sure; I swapped both. When I pulled the 12at7, it broke.
Not going to get angry or anything. It’s tube. I’m sure dealer would have fixed it, it was just easier to order new tubes.
It’s just been a few days it I’m super happy with it.
Old 04-11-2022, 12:03 PM

I love my c2700 and when mine arrived the tubes were fine, but when my MC1502 arrived, one of the 12AT7 tubes was bad. Actually, the vacuum integrity of the tube had been damaged around one of the pins. The smaller tubes are very delicate and don't like to handled roughly. It doesnt take all that much to break the seal and destroy the tube. The JJ 12AT7s the Macintosh using seem pretty fragile and honestly, they should probably be shipped without the tubes being installed. The KT88 power tubes are of a much more robust construction and are probably less likely to experience a failure in the same manner.
Old 04-11-2022, 01:35 PM

Quote:

This preamp and amp combos is fantastic, that is no news.

The interesting question is how good is the ds2 module. I have some decent DACs around, the one I use now is a bricasti M3. Will do some comparing.
Glad you got past the tube issue and have the preamp singing. I've followed along in your DAC Shootout thread (although I'm not a very digitally oriented listener) and would be very interested to hear your opinion of the DA2 module compared to some of the very nice DAC's you've had the chance to audition.
McIntosh MA8000; McIntosh MC1502; Canton Vento Reference 1 DC; E.A.T. E-Flat; Soundsmith Paua Mk II; Technics SL 1210 MK5; Audio Technica AT-150 MLX; Tascam BR-20; Teac X1000R; Pioneer RT-707; Oppo UDP 205; Denon DCD A-100; HP All-In-One Touchscreen Server; JRiver MC 28; Woo Audio WA6; Shure SRH 1840; SVS SB 1000; Jolida 502BRC; Jolida JD9; VPI 16.5 RCM; Wireworld Oasis 8 Speaker Cables; Audoquest Columbia 72 DBS IC's; Panamax PM-5400 (source components only)
Old 07-11-2022, 12:04 PM

Interesting that there has been so many tubes issues with the 2700. I actually replaced all my tubes with gold lions before I turned it on the first time and have been really pleased.
Main System MC-2102--C-2700--HiFi Rose 150B--MVP-901--Revox PR-99mkiii--Klipschorns- - Shunyata Denali 6000v2 --Sota Star Sapphire Turntable with vacuum—SME series iV.Vi—Sumiko Blackbird— WireWorld power and interconnect cables MC-205–MX-100
Old 07-11-2022, 04:27 PM

Jdcheek I too was going to swap out the stock tubes with Gold Lions when the c2700 was delivered but was advised to listen first to the stock tubes to help evaluate the change since I was new to tubes. I have a few sets on the shelf waiting to be swapped out. I hope I hear an improvement when I do.

2-Channel
McIntosh C2700, (2X)MC601, MEN220 Lampizator Baltic 3
Sonore opticalRendu, SGC sonicTransporter i5 (Gen 3), Roon Thorens TT TD318
B&W 803D3 JL Audio (2x)f110v2
Shunyata Denali/S v2, Alpha v2 PCs, WW Gold/Silver Eclipse Interconnects, Platinum USB

Whole House Music Listening
Bluesound Vault2i, PowerNode2, PulseMini2i, Pulse2, (3x)Flex
5.2 System Above using Passthru
Marantz SR7012
Oppo 205, Apple TV (4th gen), Sony XBR850e65
B&W HTM2 D3
Second 5.1 System Castoffs from Upgrades
LRC Paradigm Millenia 20, Velodyne MiniVee 10, KEF surrounds, DefTech AW6500
Old 08-04-2022, 10:49 PM

Great review thanks!
Mine should arrive next week. I ordered it because of its Swiss Army knife features and it's 3 XLR inputs. Very important for me was all the flexibility with the trigger functions for my other components.

Reading the owners manual ahead of time, it appears I may have done a fatal oversight. I read that the preamp will go in sleep mode after a while which is great but I was totally expecting to be able to wake it up from an external source namely my streamer. Either by the preamp noticing a signal input or a 12 V trigger. I now noticed that all the triggers are only outputs!! Someone please tell me that there's a way to wake up this preamp without using the remote i.e. by starting to stream to it using Roon.

I have a PS audio power plant which can turn on and off the power with my streamer trigger but I don't think turning on and off the preamp via its power source is a good idea.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks