AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Tannoy Speakers

Tannoy Speakers Over 80 Years of Audio Invention

Old 04-16-2020, 07:29 AM
Retired

Cary, Line Magnetic, Mastersound, Nagra, Sophia & Triode are among the other 845 amp maker names.

The Cary monoblock 845 is likely the best known and has been around for many years. They show up occasionally on the used market. The Line Magnetic is a very attractive (to my eyes) 2-box solution. None of the 845 amps that I'm aware are competitive with the Sun Valley on cost. If memory serves, Sun Valley is part of the Toyota koretsu (sp?) and am sure Victor would not offer if the quality were suspect.
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 04-16-2020, 01:00 PM

Thanks Glenn, Ive been going back and forth with Victor already. My main issue is build (electrical) quality of a kit amp.

Also power requirements for the Tannoy.
Old 04-16-2020, 03:54 PM
Retired

My Elekit TU-8500 has been faultless (though a friend built for me rather than Victor) and am sure a factory or Victor-built amp would also be. Especially as you live essentially 'next-door' to him. He gets high marks in DIY forum, as well.

As for power, the Cary monoblocks are rated at 50wpc (they should be powerful @ 88#, each) and the Line Magnetic at 30wpc. There is some current discussion in the "Chinese High-End" thread, above, on the LM-845.

Something else to keep in mind is how much more 'powerful' sounding Class A amps usually are. Anything above 90db sensitivity doesn't take much power and even the Elekit 300B amp makes 12wpc. Decisions, decisions.................. good luck with your choice and keep us posted.
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 04-16-2020, 03:58 PM

Thanks for checking in Glenn, I am a little concerned on the lack of UL (CSA, ETC) on something carrying this much voltage. But that just because I work with poor imported products often (lighting)

There is a Line Magnetic for sale in Toronto. I am not in a position to purchase immediately. And given the uncertainty of the economy at the moment I may put this off till the fall. But its good to know what options are if a deal falls into my lap.
Old 04-17-2020, 03:06 PM
Retired

My pleasure. Here's a link to a thread on DIY where there is quite a bit of feedback on the Elekit products and Victor.
https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/elek...set-amp-9.html
Good luck with whatever you decide and, most of all, have fun.
Old 04-17-2020, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 View Post
My pleasure. Here's a link to a thread on DIY where there is quite a bit of feedback on the Elekit products and Victor.
https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/elek...set-amp-9.html
Good luck with whatever you decide and, most of all, have fun.

We chatted a bit on the comparison between the Elekit and the SunValley. Victor sees the SunValley as a significant step up in quality.
Old 04-18-2020, 08:39 AM
Retired

Yes.......... I'm giving serious thought to the Sun Valley phono-preamp now that he is offering with Lundahl SUTs replacing the JFETs for the MC along with the Mundorf caps.
Old 04-27-2020, 02:16 PM

i had 5 pair of tannoy(s) and I would recommend you class-A and I have tried tubes
Mcintosh, audio research, airtight and leben but nothing beats Accuphase
Old 04-29-2020, 12:54 PM

I've been very pleased with my pairing of late model MC75's and Canterbury SE's. Bass is tight and well controlled. I don't doubt that the right solid state amplifier would better my set up in the bass department but I think it would come at the cost of some of the mid range performance I have today. There's always the option of adding sub(s) to the mix of course.
Old 04-29-2020, 01:19 PM

This is interesting. AA is very high on Accuphase and Mac amps. I will be keeping my Luxman as a main / back up for the long term. It is a great all around performer that does everything. The controls, eq and remote allow me to troubleshoot most any system or set up issues.

I passed on the SunValley: I think I want to leave DIY behind for the next few years and focus on reputable, life long components.

I am still interested in the Line Magnetic 845 -- I believe I am set on finding a SET amp that will adequately push these Tannoy and perhaps upgrades in the future. I am able to demo an Allnic 300B integrated whenever, but at 10W/c I wonder if it will be enough.

Thanks again for the posts based on personal experience -- Keep them coming.