AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Acoustical Treatments

Acoustical Treatments Because the room matters

Old 09-23-2019, 08:38 PM

Nice setup, Stephen.

How do you like what the corner-mounted Alphas do?

Bedroom: Aurender N150, TEAC UD-505 (AKM version), EMIA Cu Elmaformer passive line stage, conrad-johnson MF2500, Paradigm Studio 20 v5. Shunyata Delta D6, Altaira CG hub. Shunyata Alpha XC, Delta NR v2, Alpha USB, Alpha and Venom CGC/SGC. Wireworld Eclipse 8 interconnect & speaker cables. Stillpoints footers, Butcher Block Acoustics maple platforms. Stillpoints and GIK acoustic panels.

Home Office:Windows 11 PC/JRiver 31, TEAC UD-501, Luminous Audio Technology Axiom II Walker Mod passive, conrad-johnson Sonographe SA-250, Paradigm SE-1. Shunyata Hydra (Original Version), Venom 10 NR. Wireworld Eclipse 7 interconnects. Blue Jeans speaker cable.

Living-Dining Room: Windows 11 Laptop/JRiver 29, Oppo BD-83, TEAC UD-501 DAC, SOTA Sapphire TT, Graham Slee Era Gold V, Ortofon 2M Black, McIntosh MR-77, c-j Sonographe SC-25, c-j MF2500, Paradigm SE-3. Wireworld 8 IC, Blue Jeans SC. Shunyata Hydra 8 v.2, Shunyata Delta NR, Venom NR. GIK 244 bass & scatter-plate panels.
Old 09-23-2019, 08:41 PM
Ultra-Fast 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimtranr View Post
Nice setup, Stephen.

Jim I agree, the cat den looks inviting...
Old 09-24-2019, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
Hi Mar,
You can use a simple mirror to determine your first reflection points for your panels. Just slide along the each side of the room to see the reflection points for each speaker. You will note that the left and right speakers on each side of the room have their own respective reflection points, and ideally, you have a panel at each point on each side for each speaker.

Regading the panels you ordered from AcoustiMac, the "acoustical panels", are sound-absorbing, and are best for attenuating and mitigating slap echo, but they won't do anything to add diffusion, and thereby life and sparkle to your room. I've found I don't need much of these as my space is pretty heavily furnished (see photos below). I do have a panel from AcoustiMac on a wall that separate my living space from the kitchen area and above a large picture window that is an "outside" wall.

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess you will find the GIK Acoustics Impressions panels will provide the most notable and enjoyable improvement. I was kindly gifted 8 of the GIK Acoustics Alpha 4A panels and 4 GIK Polyfusors by a local AA member, and its turned out the Alpha 4A panels have brought, by far, the biggest improvement. I originally put all four Polyfusors into my well-furnished "room" and it sucked all the life out of the presentation. So, now, I only have one, in 1 corner of the space. The other 3 are presently sitting unused in the spare bedroom.

The Alpha 4A panels, OTOH, really bring a very nice improvement, and I've now got 5-6 of them in the room. I'm still playing around with placement with some of the remaining 4As but I have two along the "front wall" (which in my case is a half-wall, one at a reflection point in the window behind the couch, and two in the corners between the outside wall (near the big window) and the corner of the half-wall on top of the REL sub.

You've probably read what the Alpha 4A and Impression panels do, and I really like the improvements they bring. They are intended to provide both some diffusion and liven up a room, and they do this in a very nice and natural-sounding way. They make the presenation more spacious, lively, and "focused" in a very good way, and they also improve the imaging of the stereo sound field.

There is a technical paper on what they do on the GIK web site on Decoding Diffusion: https://www.gikacoustics.com/decodin...tic-solutions/

I'm using the linear 1D panels, 4" deep as that is what I was kindly given by Keith.

Here are some pics to show you how I am using the Alpha 4A diffusor panels.
The main rack and the Harbeths. You can see two the panels on the half-wall behind the main rack.

A wide-angle view, showing the panel on the left at a first-reflection point. You can also a see an AcousticMac acoustical panel on the wall near the celing and above the couch and window.

Behind the right speaker:

Behind the left speaker:
Puma, this is an awesome set up, impressive. I am beginning to think that ordering the absorption panels were a mistake and that I should have ordered more diffusers instead. What are your thoughts on this?

My room has some echo issues and it’s lively in terms of the higher frequencies which I am trying to tame. As it relates to putting the diffusers behind the speakers, is there an optimum location? Should they be higher, lower or the same size as the speaker?

Sorry for all the questions, I want to make sure I am doing the right thing the first time around.

Thanks.
Listening Room – MC2301s, C2300, VPI Prime Sig. Rosewood, w/Fatboy 10” Tonearm, SDS, Periphery Ring, Dynavector DRT XV-1s, Sutherland LittleLOCO Mk2, Harbeth SHL5, Skylan Stands, Synergistic Research: Record Clamp, PowerCell SX, Active Ground Block, Galileo Discovery PCs, Atmosphere X Euphoria ICs, Phono and Speaker Cables, GIK Impression Series Diffusers and Acoustimac DMD Panels, CA Double Matrix Pro Sonic RCM

Theater Room - 7.2.4, Marantz SR7012 & MM7025, Klipsch: RF-7 III, RP-450C, RP-160M, R-112SW Atmos: CDT 5800-CII, Sunfire True EQ Sub, Samsung 75” Q60R QLED 4K UHD TV, Sony UBP-X800 4K UHD Blu-ray, VPI Scoutmaster, Clearaudio Maestro, Cambridge Audio 640P, PS Audio PPP

Office - Fisher 500C, Denon DP-59L, Audio Technica AT14S Cartridge, Bluesound NODE, Acoustic Research AR-3a, Technics RS 1500

Vintage System - Pioneer SX 1980, Jolida JD100 CD, JBL Studio Monitors 4425

Semper Fidelis Teufel Hunden
Old 09-24-2019, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarSanz View Post
Sorry for all the questions, I want to make sure I am doing the right thing the first time around.
Since listening rooms and circumstances vary widely, you might consider emailing GIK with photos and a diagram of your room with all applicable dimensions (length, width, height) to get their take on the "best-fit" acoustic treatment for your particular situation.

Bedroom: Aurender N150, TEAC UD-505 (AKM version), EMIA Cu Elmaformer passive line stage, conrad-johnson MF2500, Paradigm Studio 20 v5. Shunyata Delta D6, Altaira CG hub. Shunyata Alpha XC, Delta NR v2, Alpha USB, Alpha and Venom CGC/SGC. Wireworld Eclipse 8 interconnect & speaker cables. Stillpoints footers, Butcher Block Acoustics maple platforms. Stillpoints and GIK acoustic panels.

Home Office:Windows 11 PC/JRiver 31, TEAC UD-501, Luminous Audio Technology Axiom II Walker Mod passive, conrad-johnson Sonographe SA-250, Paradigm SE-1. Shunyata Hydra (Original Version), Venom 10 NR. Wireworld Eclipse 7 interconnects. Blue Jeans speaker cable.

Living-Dining Room: Windows 11 Laptop/JRiver 29, Oppo BD-83, TEAC UD-501 DAC, SOTA Sapphire TT, Graham Slee Era Gold V, Ortofon 2M Black, McIntosh MR-77, c-j Sonographe SC-25, c-j MF2500, Paradigm SE-3. Wireworld 8 IC, Blue Jeans SC. Shunyata Hydra 8 v.2, Shunyata Delta NR, Venom NR. GIK 244 bass & scatter-plate panels.
Old 09-24-2019, 04:08 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Nice setup, Stephen.

Hi Jim,
I like them; the more I put in the listening area, the better the system sounds. I haven't done any experiments yet to see if positioning them differently impacts their effect in a particular manner. I just put them in the night before last, still playing around.

Cheers,
Stephen
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 09-24-2019, 04:09 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by For The Love of Music View Post
Jim I agree, the cat den looks inviting...
Ha! Thanks, Ed!
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 09-24-2019, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Since listening rooms and circumstances vary widely, you might consider emailing GIK with photos and a diagram of your room with all applicable dimensions (length, width, height) to get their take on the "best-fit" acoustic treatment for your particular situation.

Thanks Jim.
Listening Room – MC2301s, C2300, VPI Prime Sig. Rosewood, w/Fatboy 10” Tonearm, SDS, Periphery Ring, Dynavector DRT XV-1s, Sutherland LittleLOCO Mk2, Harbeth SHL5, Skylan Stands, Synergistic Research: Record Clamp, PowerCell SX, Active Ground Block, Galileo Discovery PCs, Atmosphere X Euphoria ICs, Phono and Speaker Cables, GIK Impression Series Diffusers and Acoustimac DMD Panels, CA Double Matrix Pro Sonic RCM

Theater Room - 7.2.4, Marantz SR7012 & MM7025, Klipsch: RF-7 III, RP-450C, RP-160M, R-112SW Atmos: CDT 5800-CII, Sunfire True EQ Sub, Samsung 75” Q60R QLED 4K UHD TV, Sony UBP-X800 4K UHD Blu-ray, VPI Scoutmaster, Clearaudio Maestro, Cambridge Audio 640P, PS Audio PPP

Office - Fisher 500C, Denon DP-59L, Audio Technica AT14S Cartridge, Bluesound NODE, Acoustic Research AR-3a, Technics RS 1500

Vintage System - Pioneer SX 1980, Jolida JD100 CD, JBL Studio Monitors 4425

Semper Fidelis Teufel Hunden
Old 09-24-2019, 04:22 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarSanz View Post
Puma, this is an awesome set up, impressive. I am beginning to think that ordering the absorption panels were a mistake and that I should have ordered more diffusers instead. What are your thoughts on this?

My room has some echo issues and it’s lively in terms of the higher frequencies which I am trying to tame. As it relates to putting the diffusers behind the speakers, is there an optimum location? Should they be higher, lower or the same size as the speaker?

Thanks.
Hi Mar,
The absorption panels primary function is to reduce slap echo by acoustical damping, so you if you have some echoes, then you can place some at various positions in your room. You can also intersperse them on side or back walls in between the diffusor panels if you wish.

With respect to positioning the Alpha 4A or Impressions series panels, I put mine pretty much behind the Harbeths, as can be seen in the photo. I'd probably put them a bit higher, but I can't as that is the height of the half-wall behind the speakers. They also can and should be placed at reflection points.

With respect to number, I'd just play around and experiment. GIK says that the more you place in the room, the better it will sound, and I'm inclined to agree with that. My limitations right now is that I'm running out of places to put more in in my unusual and unorthodox listening space.

Also, GIK has free advice, so you can call them for specifics on mounting and placement and positions. They are very helpful. You may want to consider ordering your acoustical (damping) panels as well from them just to make ordering and shipping more straightforward.
Old 09-24-2019, 04:40 PM

IMHO if everyone placed a few Stillpoints Aperture II panels in place of many of the ones shown here you will experience even greater sonic mastery. They are down right spooky.
Old 09-24-2019, 05:11 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by timztunz View Post
IMHO if everyone placed a few Stillpoints Aperture II panels in place of many of the ones shown here you will experience even greater sonic mastery. They are down right spooky.
I'm sure they're good, but...they're also $800 apiece.

The GIK Acoustics diffusors, at $79/each are 1/10th the price and work really well.

I've taken the "Schiit Audio" approach to acoustical treatments. Very high quality products sold online direct to customer at great prices and backed by outstanding customer support.