AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Harbeth Speakers

Harbeth Speakers World's best loved loudspeakers

Old 04-21-2019, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnrmf1971 View Post
Officially, I'll be testing this theory, within 2 weeks.
Harbeth 40.2's purchased!
Congrats Christian!

Which finish did you end up going with?
Audio Room: CH Precision I1, Esoteric k01XD, Lab 12 Melto 2, Luxman PD-171A TT, Roon Nucleus, Stenheim Alumine Three, Silversmith Fidelium speaker cables, Siltech 680 interconnects, Shunyata Sigma USB Cable, Audioquest Hurricane PCs, Shunyata Everest,CORE Design racks, Stein Harmonizers, HRS damping plates, Stillpoints and all that other silly stuff.

Office: Luxman L-595A SE, Diapason Neos speakers, HiFi Rose RS150B, Nordost Frey 2 Interconnects, Tellurium Q Silver speaker cables,
Old 04-21-2019, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreginNH1 View Post
Congrats Christian!

Which finish did you end up going with?
The only finish I really liked was the Tiger Ebony.

I liked the other finishes to lesser degrees, and could have lived with them at the right price, but color was the hurdle that kept me from purchasing a set over the last 2 or 3 months.

I'd been talking to a dealer with a set of Tiger Ebony's for over a month until we reached a deal I was comfortable with.

south: Mark Levinson No. 52 pre, Bricasti M28 amps, Lumin A1, Oppo BDP-205, Pioneer CT-43, Sony SS-AR1 Speakers, Audioquest Dragon PCs, Audioquest speaker cables, Audioquest interconnects, HB Power Design Powerslave Star Galaxy power distributor

north: Vitus SIA-030, Luxman D10X, Sony TC-KA3ES, Harbeth 40.2, Siltech cables
Old 04-21-2019, 02:50 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Congrats!
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 04-21-2019, 02:52 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Thanks, Lars.
I've never heard them and I'm only going by questions I've asked and reviews. If I could have, I'd have bought used 40.1's but I was outbid on an eBay auction about 6 weeks ago.
I didn't want to spend this much for a second system speaker, but it's probably the best choice, based on my tastes for a non-fatiguing, not bright sounding, speaker.
I had high hopes for the JBL L100 but that was almost 180 degrees away from my tastes when I listened to them.
I remember the original JBLs L100s from back in the day and they drove me out of the room when I heard them even back then. Pacific Stereo sold the cr*p out of them but I went with Large Advents.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 04-21-2019, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
I remember the original JBLs L100s from back in the day and they drove me out of the room when I heard them even back then. Pacific Stereo sold the cr*p out of them but I went with Large Advents.
It's funny how we all hear things differently.
I don't think I've ever heard the originals but after hearing the new ones, I'm in no rush to!

south: Mark Levinson No. 52 pre, Bricasti M28 amps, Lumin A1, Oppo BDP-205, Pioneer CT-43, Sony SS-AR1 Speakers, Audioquest Dragon PCs, Audioquest speaker cables, Audioquest interconnects, HB Power Design Powerslave Star Galaxy power distributor

Old 04-21-2019, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Congrats. Looking forward to a nice review as I have been considering the 40.2s as a future upgrade.
Old 04-21-2019, 07:53 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
It's funny how we all hear things differently.
I don't think I've ever heard the originals but after hearing the new ones, I'm in no rush to!
Yep, we're individuals, not clones. Hearing is a perception, and its influenced my so many different things. Our state of mind, sensibilites, preferences, our own ears, which don't hear the same due to both nature (genetics) and environmental exposures, the auditory processing by our individual brains, as well as...the room and the associated equipment. One thing I've learned about many complex "responses": they are almost always the result of interactions.
Old 04-21-2019, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdsmoke View Post
Congrats. Looking forward to a nice review as I have been considering the 40.2s as a future upgrade.
Thank you.
I'll certainly describe what I hear, but it'll be pretty subjective, because it'll be in a second system of components that are brand new to me.
I can't wait to get them, though!

Old 04-21-2019, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsT View Post
The Harbeths would be replacing B&W 802D3s, which replaced Persona 5F, which replaced the Sigs...
Just listened to the Persona 5F and wasn’t too impressed. Only heard the 802D3’s in Best Buy and a horrible demo.Going to be updating again towards the end of the year and not sure whether to go to next. Will be interesting how the Harbeths stand up to what you had if you get them.
Old 04-22-2019, 09:45 PM

Lars I recently got a pair of HL5+, as I work on tuning them in I found my self listening to some Led Zeppelin, JC Mellencamp, Pink Floyed amoung others this past weekend and it made me remember this post. Just wanted to tell you that I was pleasantly impressed with the sound. I’ve heard and love the 40.2’s but I didn’t want to spend that much, however I would recommend them. My HL5 sound great but i feel that the 40’s will sound even better especially if you have a large area. The detail and vocals on these speakers are exceptional.