AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Inspire by Dennis Had

Inspire by Dennis Had Enjoying Vacuum Tube Audio

Old 08-10-2017, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimi55 View Post
I have used KLH17, Dynaco A25, Tekton M-Lore and Tekton Lore Reference. They all sound fine to me with my Inspire amps.
Wow, you have used Dynaco A25s with your Inspire? I had a pair of those for 5-6 years, many years ago. Very inefficient, just 82dB. I think I paired them with a 25 wpc receiver way back then, which was more than enough in my small bedroom.
Old 02-19-2018, 02:15 PM

Anyone here with self-built FULL RANGE speakers you like for your low watt Inspire tube amplifier...

How about something like the Audax AM21LB25ALBC 8" Paper Cone Full Range, etc. 8" whizzer cone niche - anyone build a set yet or hear them?

Last edited by decooney; 02-19-2018 at 05:16 PM.
Old 02-20-2018, 07:20 PM

I understand from Dennis that many of many of his Inspire family members use Spatial Audio products. We did not discuss which makes model. I have been really tempted by the M3 Turbos or maybe even the M3 Triode Masters though I am not sure the latter is quite necessary in that I plan to pair them with my PSE. Anyway, i had assumed that being open baffle and being commended for the wide and deep soundstage that they would also not be to focused/directional. Reading reviews recently I understand that they do have a definite sweet spot and off axis listening diminishes their magic. Any contributors here have experience with Spatial Audio?
Old 02-20-2018, 08:32 PM

While an open baffle speaker can present a wide image, it cannot present a well-defined image. Consider when one is listening to a recording of a violin. The speaker will radiate sound from both the front and back of the speaker. The sound from the front will travel directly to your ears, the sound off of the back will reflect off of your walls and then to your ears. It will travel a longer distance and will be altered.

So you will first hear the direct sound waves from the front followed shortly thereafter by a second wave from a different angle. It will be time smeared. One might like that big open reflected sound, but if you are into precise imaging with tightly defined notes, it is very difficult. Very room dependent. If one really deadens the room with acoustic treatments, then it would mitigate the problems.

Speakers I've liked have taken great measures to address time alignment, by using sloped baffles, minimal baffles, minimizing edge diffraction, etc. . I have issues with open baffle, dipolar, 360 radiating, and Bose 901-type designs.

But that's me. Speakers are very personal and I have no problems with anyone hating what I like and loving what I hate.
Old 02-20-2018, 11:26 PM

Spatials sound very good and image very well. While they are "open baffle", the HF driver is as directional (non-Triode Master versions) as most any speaker as it uses the mid-bass driver cone as its "horn". Since this driver comes in fairly low (around 1000 hz) they image and soundstage quite well, plus they have that nice open sounding bass and mid-bass power that many love from the open baffle designs. I've not heard them with tubes, but I would think that they would be a good speaker to try with relatively low wattage tube amps.
Old 02-23-2018, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearCityUSA View Post
... M3 Turbos or maybe even the M3 Triode Masters though I am not sure the latter is quite necessary in that I plan to pair them with my PSE..
wow, at $3,995 the'yd better be fantastic and then some. Was kinda intrigued until I saw the price. Have you heard them in person over a comparable low-watt system before?

http://www.spatialaudio.us/store/m3-triode-master
Old 02-24-2018, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by decooney View Post
wow, at $3,995 the'yd better be fantastic and then some. Was kinda intrigued until I saw the price. Have you heard them in person over a comparable low-watt system before?

http://www.spatialaudio.us/store/m3-triode-master

No, i have not. I live in a small city several hours away from any significant listening rooms. I am stuck buying unheard based on forum posts. The triode masters were stretching my budget. The Turbos fit a little better. I am possibly going another direction with my shopping. More on that to come.
Old 02-24-2018, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearCityUSA View Post
No, i have not. I live in a small city several hours away from any significant listening rooms. I am stuck buying unheard based on forum posts. The triode masters were stretching my budget. The Turbos fit a little better. I am possibly going another direction with my shopping. More on that to come.
I know...hear ya, kinda sucks. While online forums are helpful, everyone has different gear, rooms, subjective, and everyone hears a bit differently. Yep, the glory days of going into your local hi-fi are so limited because they only cary a few brands any more - if any local shops exist in your area. And, it's too expensive for them to keep big inventories. Order-on-demand and try is limiting too. While some mfg direct 45 day returns help some, shipping costs become prohibitive if it's on the buyer to pay return shipping in most cases.

hahah, hate to admit but sometimes resort to good headphones and listening closely to a few HD videos on Youtube to get some ideas but still need to get 'em home to try. I'm working with a mfg group now letting me try/demo some projects soon.

Our local hi-fi-shop celebrated 50 years last year. Last of 20+ stores closed in our area compared to what we had in the late 70s and 80s, really miss all that. Those were the days.

Last edited by decooney; 02-24-2018 at 02:36 PM.
Old 03-25-2018, 06:27 PM

A few weeks ago I was doing my regular rounds dreaming about my next speaker purchase. As mentioned before I do this a lot. I was looking for some full range floor standers to pair up with my LP27a>PSE in my new living room (under construction). I was looking at the ProAc site and saw their newest model, the DT8, in their Reference line. I have been intrigued by their downward ported cabinets and this one was in my price range at around $3K. I think they are rated at 91db but I do not put much stock in those measurements. IMO their is more to sensitivity than the less that scientific measurements posted . I figured I would send a quick question to Dennis. "Would my PSE drive these DT8s?". Well, about an hour later, as I recall, as I was driving down the road the phone rings. It's Dennis and he is excited. He saw my email and took a look at the ProAc website. He then spoke with his friend and previous Cary Audio distributer John Rutan from Audio Connection in New Jersey, a long time ProAc dealer. John had expressed high praises for the DT8. Dennis in his excitement reiterated his love for ProAc. The 1SC being his favorite of all time as mention in this thread. Another, I do not recall the model, which he used for years at the shows to showcase his Cary amps. He said my PSE would drive them with ease and he was going to order a pair for him self. Fast forward a couple weeks; we have two pair on order from England. His in rosewood and mine in cherry. I'll keep you posted with our impressions.
Old 03-26-2018, 12:53 AM

When I first got my amp recently, I tried running my larger 92db custom built air motion speakers with my recently new DH Inspire Hot Rod KT150. Worked fine. Dennis assured me beforehand it would work. It gets plenty loud and has a real nice sound to it. So just for grins, I tried my smaller Totem Acoustic Model One speakers. They are 87db and they worked but I did have to turn the volume up from say 9'oclock to 11:30 or so to get them to open up and play like they do on a higher power tube or SS amp or with my 92db speakers. 91db will be fine. With my testing so far, I don't think I'll be going with a speaker lower than 91db/8ohm on the 10w Hot Rod SET amp. I'm kind of toying now with some 94/95 db custom speaker build ideas. Still hope to hear this cool little SET amp on some 98db 1w/1m speakers to see what it will do then. I'm really amazed with this cool little amp, just need to try it with the right speakers to see it's real potential.