AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > GIK Acoustics

GIK Acoustics Bringing Your Sound To Life

Old 04-10-2017, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garytn View Post
It's hard to tell from your photos of the feet, but I think that is the protective coating. I had a white film over my GIK feet that peeled off to reveal perfect satin finish metal.
Holy crap, you're right!

That "horrid paint" is instead a protective plastic over the feet! Who would have ever known? (Sad that any instructions are completely lacking in any of the boxes.)

(I showed the feet, in person, to multiple people and none of them thought it was a protective film.)

An absolutely huge mea culpa and apology to GiK for the comments regarding the feet!

However, I still need to discuss with them what to do about my Alpha panels, in which one has a black smear on the fabric and on the other the diffraction layer is literally falling off as most of the adhesive around the perimeter has failed.

I've edited my original post to remove mention any mention of the feet.

Last edited by BillK; 04-10-2017 at 09:04 AM.
Old 04-10-2017, 12:42 PM

Well, one problem down anyway. Let us know how the discussion with GIK goes on the rest of your order. I dealt with a fellow there named Nick (I believe) and he was very helpful. Good luck.
Speakers:
Wilson Sasha 1
Digital Sources:
Ayre QX-5 Music Hub/ DAC
Ayre CX-7-E mp CD player
SGC sonicTransporter
Turntable:
Brinkmann Bardo
12” Brinkmann arm w/ Lyra Delos
Cables:
Cardas Clear
Old 04-10-2017, 08:29 PM

They were pleasant and offered me a small discount if I was willing to keep a panel or both and glue the diffuser back on.

They mentioned that they just changed over to affixing the diffuser plates to the Alpha series panels with screws, so perhaps I just have spectacularly bad timing.

They did not immediately offer to replace either the panel with the failing glue or the one with the dirty muslin, but they may be awaiting my answer on the discount.

They also were supposed to include sawtooth hangers for the Alpha panels, which I can of course obtain locally but I don't know where they go.

I sent an email asking what glue to use and about the hangers but that was at about 4:20 PM Eastern and never received an answer before CoB.

Last edited by BillK; 04-10-2017 at 08:35 PM.
Old 04-10-2017, 08:40 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Bill.......Considering you'll have to run around to buy contact cement, do the work to get the fabric glued back in place, then hopefully be successful removing the black stain from the fabric, that seems like a measly offer. They should email you UPS or FedEx labels to ship the defective panels back at their cost and immediately ship you replacements.

You no doubt chose GIK to place your order based on their good reputation. It's not like there aren't a number of other quality acoustic panel manufacturers you could have done business with. GIK should make it right at no addition cost or effort on your part. Anything less would not be satisfactory to me if it were my money spent with them. It's not your place to make it easy for them. It's their place to make it easy for you.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 04-10-2017, 10:00 PM

I'm with Dan. If Glenn himself won't make this right and assuming you used PayPal or a CC you have the final say.
Old 04-11-2017, 12:16 AM

Quite true.

The 244s are nice but honestly if ATS had anything similar to the Alpha I would consider returning the whole order for a refund; unfortunately GIK seems to be the only company with a diffusion panel under 6" thick.
Old 04-11-2017, 12:25 AM

I looked around too after I bought the traps and other panels from ATS and the Alpha panels are unique plus like you said they do work. I planned on buying more. Still resolving the issue would seem to be in their best interest. Glenn and many of the other guys seem to spend most of their forum time at their own forum on Audio Circle so that is an option if all else fails with the CS people.
Old 04-11-2017, 12:29 AM

Thanks; I'll see what they have to say tomorrow.
Old 04-11-2017, 05:30 AM

In case anyone was interested in the bad stapling on my Tri-Trap; one staple missed the frame and the other was done in a way the fabric tore through it:

Last edited by BillK; 04-11-2017 at 05:33 AM.
Old 04-11-2017, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike-48 View Post
GIK's prices are a lot lower than ASC (for example), and the construction is a lot simpler, as well. In soffit traps, I received some units with uneven gaps between the edges. In tri-traps, the plastic end pieces are hotglued and tend to fall off. I've re-stuck most of mine with double-sided mounting tape. I have to say, I looked hard at the poorly mated seams in my last order before I decided not to send it back.

The GIK stuff works and it does cost less than most of the competition. There are published measurements, which is nice. You pays your money and you takes your choice.

I will add, GIK's service has always been superb -- friendly and professional -- and it's been easy to get what I wanted. I also appreciate that many of the panels come with wires for hanging, unlike some competitors who make you figure out more invasive ways of mounting.
My exact experience with them.