AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Classe' Audio

Classe' Audio Uncompromising Audio

Old 06-29-2017, 07:43 PM

Patrick, it's probably too late for this suggestion, but it would be great to have either more PEQ points or be able to assign them to channels.

For example, one gets 5 EQ points for a sub, covering 16 Hz to 50 Hz (< 2 octaves) in my system; and 5 EQ points for a main speaker, covering 50 Hz to 20000 Hz (nearly 9 octaves) or more. In practice, I don't use all the points EQing the subs, but I would love one or two more for the mains.
Old 07-19-2017, 05:52 PM

Patrick and all,

While visiting a Classe dealer yesterday I was informed that the entire Delta 3 line has been cancelled, as in Classe will no longer compete in the high-end audio market?

Is this true? Can anyone comment?
Old 07-20-2017, 06:47 AM

I also heard that Classe is going through a big shake up or out of business very recently and could not believe it. The absence of any announcements on the expected new line increases the possibility of reality.
Old 07-26-2017, 05:55 PM

Hi Silvertone,

We have stopped development on the Delta Series to ensure that the products deliver the experience people have come to expect from Classé Audio and Bowers & Wilkins. We will continue to sell Sigma Series products, and our customer service and support have not been effected. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Regards,

Patrick
B&W Group North America

QUOTE=silvertone;856742]Patrick and all,

While visiting a Classe dealer yesterday I was informed that the entire Delta 3 line has been cancelled, as in Classe will no longer compete in the high-end audio market?

Is this true? Can anyone comment?[/QUOTE]
Old 07-26-2017, 06:57 PM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Butler View Post
Hi Silvertone,
We have stopped development on the Delta Series to ensure that the products deliver the experience people have come to expect from Classé Audio and Bowers & Wilkins. [...]Please let me know if you have any questions.
Patrick,

Thanks for the reply to this. Since you asked, I do have questions, the main one being: what does that statement mean, other than "don't hold your breath for new Delta products"?

Is development in haitus while the line is rethought? Is development permanently canceled? And "the experience people have come to expect"? Why wouldn't new products deliver that? Inadequate sound quality? wrong feature set? poor user interface?

The wording seems as bland and uninformative as possible. Could more light be shed on it in this forum? Or should we wait for a fuller public announcement from B&W Group?

Thanks,
Mike
Old 07-26-2017, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Hi Silvertone,

We have stopped development on the Delta Series to ensure that the products deliver the experience people have come to expect from Classé Audio and Bowers & Wilkins. We will continue to sell Sigma Series products, and our customer service and support have not been effected. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Regards,

Patrick
B&W Group North America
Wow, this is very interesting. I am hugely disappointed to hear this. I guess since the acquisition they decided to put money into other product lines in the former B&W Group.
Digital Software: Roon, Tidal Streaming
Digital Music Server: Melco N1A/2
Digital Sources: Totaldac d1-twelve SE MkII (factory upgraded from MKI) with "live power" 4 output power supply, Oppo UDP-205
Preamplifier: Rogue Audio RP-9 (factory upgraded from RP-7)
Amplifier: Vandersteen M5-HPA
Speakers: Vandersteen Quatro Wood CT w/IsoAcoustics Gaia 1 feet
Cabling: WW Platinum Starlight 7 digital wires, Totaldac Gigafilter USB filter, AQ Sky XLR, AQ Fire RCA
Speaker Cables: AudioQuest Oak spades ---> bi-wire spades
Power Cables: Esprit PC (for DAC), 2 WW Platinum Electra PC (Preamp/Phono Preamp), AQ NRG10 (Melco N1A/2), AQ Blizzard (Quatro Wood CT built-in subs)
Power Conditioning: 2 AQ Niagara 1000, 3 Oyaide R1 outlets
Sound Treatments: 23 ASC Tube Traps and 10 Panels
Old 07-26-2017, 09:37 PM

Hi Mike-48,

Clearly stated, I think it means that the kind of user experience created by products like the CP-800 needs to be reevaluated. Nobody has questioned the fidelity of the products that were in development, but that alone is no longer sufficient in the world we live in today.

Sorry to be vague about what "user experience means", but if you've had time with a CP-800, then the natural question is "is this the best we can do?" Are we offering all the right features, do we make the experience of interacting with the product pleasurable or frustrating? That sort of thing. Frankly, I'm happy that people are asking these kinds of questions.

What will we see in the future from Classé? I couldn't hazard a guess. That said, nothing great begins with asking the wrong questions. We'd like to ask the right ones.

Regards,

Patrick
B&W Group North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike-48 View Post
Patrick,

Thanks for the reply to this. Since you asked, I do have questions, the main one being: what does that statement mean, other than "don't hold your breath for new Delta products"?

Is development in haitus while the line is rethought? Is development permanently canceled? And "the experience people have come to expect"? Why wouldn't new products deliver that? Inadequate sound quality? wrong feature set? poor user interface?

The wording seems as bland and uninformative as possible. Could more light be shed on it in this forum? Or should we wait for a fuller public announcement from B&W Group?

Thanks,
Mike
Old 07-26-2017, 09:52 PM

Hi ylee,

I'm sorry that you are disappointed. Looking over the list of gear you currently own (very nice btw) I noticed that you don't currently run any of Classé's equipment. If you don't mind me asking, have you owned any in the past? Apologies if that comes across as snarky, but it is not intended that way.

Regards,

Patrick
B&W Group North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by ylee View Post
Wow, this is very interesting. I am hugely disappointed to hear this. I guess since the acquisition they decided to put money into other product lines in the former B&W Group.

Last edited by Patrick Butler; 07-26-2017 at 09:58 PM.
Old 07-26-2017, 10:27 PM

If you thinking of new user experiences, I would love to see audiophile fidelity with mass market features and price

I have all classe products, sigma ssp and classe M600 amp (300 watt). I used to have the cp 800 and moved to sigma ssp for better integration with watching TV and other sources.

I didn't hear any difference between sigma ssp and cp800 so it was odd to me that sigma ssp sounded just as good, more functionality, and 1k cheaper. Maybe I just couldn't hear a difference but I wasn't the only one.

Why invest in a product that is marketed to a smaller range of folks when the sigma ssp sounds just as good and would reach more folks?

These are the things I would be asking if it was me....

I love the sigma ssp though . Even if I do upgrade my dac to something that better integrates with roon I would still keep it.

Good luck...I do hope classe doesn't stop audio products and innovates in the future
Work Audeze LCD-XC, Audeze Deckard
Old 07-26-2017, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Hi Mike-48,

Clearly stated, I think it means that the kind of user experience created by products like the CP-800 needs to be reevaluated. Nobody has questioned the fidelity of the products that were in development, but that alone is no longer sufficient in the world we live in today.

Sorry to be vague about what "user experience means", but if you've had time with a CP-800, then the natural question is "is this the best we can do?" Are we offering all the right features, do we make the experience of interacting with the product pleasurable or frustrating? That sort of thing. Frankly, I'm happy that people are asking these kinds of questions.

What will we see in the future from Classé? I couldn't hazard a guess. That said, nothing great begins with asking the wrong questions. We'd like to ask the right ones.
I appreciate the answer. I have spent years with the CP-800 as my main preamp, so I'm familiar with the interface. The unit has the right feature set for me; in fact, I find it strange that, with so many audiophiles using subs, so few good components offer bass management. However, in comparison to even some older products with DSP and crossovers, some of those features in the CP-800 seemed less well realized in terms of user experience and flexibility. I would hope that, better realized, the features' value would be obvious to all audiophiles. But who can say? There is a great deal of superstition and received truth in audio-land, I'm afraid.

There is a lot more I could say about the CP-800, but I don't want to do that in a public forum. However, if Classé ever wants some serious feedback, I would be glad to write more, to participate in a focus group, or to be a beta-tester. My qualifications for this are 50 years as an audiophile, 5 years as a commercial broadcast engineer, 40 years as a scientist, considerable use of DSP audio products, and extensive musical, concert-going, and some recording experience. If Classé does make a new product to replace the CP-800, I strongly suggest getting feedback from potential users, rather than development in a vacuum. By the way, I doubt that most dealers, even Classé dealers, are qualified to give feedback about products with DSP -- their interests lie elsewhere.

Regards,
Mike

Last edited by Mike-48; 07-26-2017 at 11:13 PM. Reason: grammar and clarity