AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Music

Music What really matters most

Old 05-20-2014, 07:51 AM

Great list! Thanks for posting.
Chris
Old 05-20-2014, 10:41 AM

Thank you !
Very interesting list and a nice layout.
Old 05-20-2014, 11:18 PM

Default Second Top 10 List

Here is the rest of my favorites. Again, I'm looking for great music played well and captured superbly in a well engineered recording.

Tchaikovsky: Symphony No. 6 in B minor, Op. 74 'Pathétique'
Russian National Orchestra, Mikhail Pletnev

I have yet to hear another version of the Pathétique interpreted, played and recorded as well as this 1991 Virgin Classics release.

Rimsky Korsakov: Scheherazade, Op. 35, Capriccio espagnol, Op. 34
London Symphony Orchestra, Sir Charles Mackerras

This is exciting music and a good vehicle to showcase the virtuosity of an orchestra. The LSO does not disappoint here with its brass section stealing the show. This is a true demonstration disc by Telarc at the peak of its powers.

Stravinsky: The Firebird, The Rite of Spring
Minnesota Orchestra, Eiji Oue

For a memorable sonic and musical experience try this Reference Recording HRx disc (DVD-R data discs contain exact, digit-for-digit copies of the original Reference Recordings 176.4 kHz / 24-bit digital masters). DVD-R discs play on Oppo machines. Another favorite Rite with an awesome bass drum is Esa-Pekka Salonen's version with the Los Angeles Philharmonic on an DG SACD.

Rachmaninov: Symphony No. 2 in E minor, Op. 27
Vocalise, Op. 34 No. 14 - arrangement for orchestra
Aleko - Intermezzo & Women's Dance
London Symphony Orchestra, André Previn

EMI caught lightning in a bottle with this 1973 recording. Under $12, this disc is proof that audiophile discs do not have to cost a fortune. The string playing detail and the transparency are remarkable. I think you can write the score for every instrument by just listening to this.

Chopin:
Piano Concerto No. 1 in E minor, Op. 11
Piano Concerto No. 2 in F minor, Op. 21
Ingrid Fliter (piano), Scottish Chamber Orchestra, Jun Märkl

This Linn SACD is one of the best piano concerto recordings I've heard. Everything is just right.

Mozart: Requiem in D minor, K626
Dunedin Consort, John Butt

Yet another Linn SACD that sweeps the board. This most sublime music is played by the Dunedin Consort in such a caring and expert manner that it makes for compelling listening. The 16-member choir signs with extreme clarity and perfect diction.

Mozart: Don Giovanni, K527
Bo Skovhus, Alessandro Corbelli, Christine Brewer, Jerry Hadley &Felicity Lott
Scottish Chamber Orchestra & Chorus, Sir Charles Mackerras

This opera recording is fun to listen to. For a quick fix of the most dramatic scene in all opera just play Finale: "Già la mensa è preparata" and let Mozart take you for ride. Excellent Telarc recording that captures the superb playing of the Scottish Chamber Orchestra.

Beethoven: Symphonies Nos. 1-9 (complete)
Chamber Orchestra of Europe, Nikolaus Harnoncourt

This 1991 Teldec set is magnificent. I cannot find any weak links here and these are some of the most exciting Beethoven symphony recordings anywhere. In my view, the combination of this composed music, the orchestral sound it yields, the superb recorded sound and its playback on my system is a triumph of humanity. Don't miss this Harnoncourt set. An excellent alternative period instrument set is by Jos van Immerseel and Anima Eterna.

Tchaikovsky: Piano Concerto No. 1 in B flat minor, Op. 23
Yevgeny Sudbin (piano), São Paulo Symphony Orchestra, John Neschling

I've never heard the first few bars of the B flat concerto as well reproduced as on this BIS SACD. You can perfectly hear every key stroke Sudbin hits. It's one of the best piano recordings I'm aware of.

Mozart:
Symphony No. 40 in G minor, K550
Symphony No. 41 in C major, K551 'Jupiter'
Anima Eterna, Jos van Immerseel

This Jupiter is superb and the recording of it even better.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - HONORABLE MENTION- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Mahler: Symphony No. 2 in C minor 'Resurrection'
Budapest Festival Orchestra, Iván Fischer

Listen to the otherworldly low strings during the first movement - very eerie. Then the climaxes are some of the most realistic-sounding I've heard from any recording - they sound live and are thrilling. The crowning achievement is the finale and the Channel SACD sound is beyond superb. (I should move this SACD to the top choices rather than "Honorable Mention").

JS Bach: Brandenburg Concertos
Concerto Italiano, Rinaldo Alessandrini

Not sure what the cover art is all about, but you'll soon forget it when you hear the first few bars. These are invigorating performance of an old war horse with a refreshing Italianate take on the music. The Naive recording is superlative.

Vivaldi: The Four Seasons
Drottingham Baroque Ensemble, Nils-Erik Sparf

This is a most exciting recording of the Four Seasons with excellent BIS engineering to boot.

Lalo: Cello Concerto
Matt Haimovitz (cello), Chicago Symphony Orchestra, James Levine

For some orchestral fun try this one. The Chicago SO brass will blow you away.

Last edited by cma29; 11-23-2014 at 10:44 PM.
Old 05-21-2014, 03:32 PM
Life is beautiful

Carlos, otra vez:
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 05-21-2014, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart View Post
Carlos, otra vez:
Gracias, Bart. I'd like to see some of your favorites.
Old 05-21-2014, 03:45 PM
Life is beautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by cma29 View Post
Gracias, Bart. I'd like to see some of your favorites.
I'll try to do that on Sunday.
This week was so busy...
And tomorrow, Friday and Saturday I have a date with... Iván Fischer! Yes, 3 concerts in a row with the Budapest Festival Orchestra.
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 05-21-2014, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart View Post
I'll try to do that on Sunday.
This week was so busy...
And tomorrow, Friday and Saturday I have a date with... Iván Fischer! Yes, 3 concerts in a row with the Budapest Festival Orchestra.
That's great.

Nothing like going to a live classical music concert. I saw the Bavarian Radio Symphony at Carnegie Hall on Friday and that was amazing.

Looking forward to seeing your top list of recordings. It's a tough exercise to pick the "best".
Old 05-21-2014, 07:55 PM
AA Founder, Legend AV Owner

Music is like sex; it's all good, but some is better than others.
MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A300 AMPS, C3900 PRE-AMP, DP1000 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC1000 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-68 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1X/D1X STACK, G1X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS(4), BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) ALTAIRA CG & SG HUBS, AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES
Old 05-23-2014, 07:29 AM

Great! That is a very good list, CMA, well written and nice layout.
Thank you for taking the time to enlighten us.
I have a couple of your suggestions, (Stravinsky and Chopin), and I agree that they sound very very good.
I will slowly start working my way through the rest of your suggestions.
Old 05-23-2014, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pau View Post
Great! That is a very good list, CMA, well written and nice layout. Thank you for taking the time to enlighten us. I have a couple of your suggestions, (Stravinsky and Chopin), and I agree that they sound very very good. I will slowly start working my way through the rest of your suggestions.
Thanks for starting this thread, Pau. It was a good exercise to identify the most satisfying discs in my collection.

I'm sure there are better sounding discs out there, but for me the formula is:

great disc = great music + great performance + great sonics.

Great sonics by itself will not do it for me.

Last edited by cma29; 05-23-2014 at 02:32 PM.