AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > GIK Acoustics

GIK Acoustics Bringing Your Sound To Life

Old 10-31-2018, 08:55 PM

Good to have you with us here Mike, I enjoy your products in the corners of my man cave !
Old 11-01-2018, 12:22 AM

Welcome!!! Looking forward to your input, help and advice :-)
Old 11-11-2018, 09:17 PM

Default It's me!

Howdy all!

Mike Major here. Nice to be a part of the forum!

For a little history about who I am (so you know where I'm coming from):

I've been in the recording industry for over 30 years. I ran a studio in El Paso Texas for 18 years while also working for a large regional sound company. In El Paso I did just about everything you can do in pro audio including: live sound, sound system installations, recording, mixing, mastering, producing, location sound (for movies/commercials) and some acoustics consulting. I was also an IATSE stage hand for about 12 years.

After leaving El Paso, I established my home mix studio Mike's Mix Room where I've been mixing and mastering records for the last 12 years or so. Most of the work I do in the studio is in the rock genre, though I have worked on almost every type of music you can imagine at some point (you'd be surprised!).

In 2013 I wrote and published the book "Recording Drums: The Complete Guide" which is about-you guessed it-recording drums. Shortly thereafter I started a video series about mixing on YouTube called "The Method to the Mix" which is now available for sale through SonicScoop and The Pro Audio Files.

I am a frequent contributor to Sonic Scoop where I write about all things Pro Audio and recording...though if I'm being honest, I really write about what bugs me in the recording world! There is so much misinformation out there that I try my best to offer tried and true, empirical methods and techniques to help people make better recordings.

I started dabbling in acoustics back in the late 90's in an effort to improve the acoustics of my recording studio (both the live room and the control room). Since then I have purchased and studied numerous books and white papers and have a voracious appetite to learn more and more about acoustics. For all that I've learned over the last 20 years, there is still much more to understand. It's a complicated subject that only gets more complicated the further you dive in.

I started at GIK Acoustics recently and will do my best to be an active participant on this forum. We do get very busy over there but I will carve out some time to check in and hopefully answer some questions for anyone who needs help. I'm hoping I can offer some perspective and expertise about acoustics to help you all get the most out of your rooms, but I also hope to learn more about high-end listening/2 channel/home theater stuff from all of you.

Thanks to everyone who welcomed me here and I look forward to some lively, intelligent discussions.

Onward!
GIK Acoustics Europe | +44 (0) 20 7558 8976 (UK)
Old 11-11-2018, 09:22 PM

Cheers Mike, nice intro - welcome.
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2
Old 11-11-2018, 09:49 PM

Glad to have you. Impressive resume, and I have had 2 very good experiences with your company.

Audio research LS28SE preamplifier, Aurender N10 Streamer, Topping D90 DAC, McIntosh MC462 amplifier. Focal Sopra 3 speakers. Salamander Archetype rack, Symposium Acoustics Segue shelves, Silver Eclipse 7 XLRs, Shunyata Everest power conditioner, Alpha V2, Delta V2 and Venom V2 10/12 power cords, and Audioquest Oak speaker cables. GIK Acoustic's bass soffits and 244 bass trap Art panels room treatments. Sony XBR75X900e 4K TV and Sony UBP-X800 Blu-ray player
Old 11-12-2018, 01:52 AM

Glad to have you aboard, Mike. And thanks for your background info. Welcome.

Bedroom: Aurender N150, TEAC UD-505 (AKM version), EMIA Cu Elmaformer passive line stage, conrad-johnson MF2500, Paradigm Studio 20 v5. Shunyata Delta D6, Altaira CG hub. Shunyata Alpha XC, Delta NR v2, Alpha USB, Alpha and Venom CGC/SGC. Wireworld Eclipse 8 interconnect & speaker cables. Stillpoints footers, Butcher Block Acoustics maple platforms. Stillpoints and GIK acoustic panels.

Home Office:Windows 11 PC/JRiver 31, TEAC UD-501, Luminous Audio Technology Axiom II Walker Mod passive, conrad-johnson Sonographe SA-250, Paradigm SE-1. Shunyata Hydra (Original Version), Venom 10 NR. Wireworld Eclipse 7 interconnects. Blue Jeans speaker cable.

Living-Dining Room: Windows 11 Laptop/JRiver 29, Oppo BD-83, TEAC UD-501 DAC, SOTA Sapphire TT, Graham Slee Era Gold V, Ortofon 2M Black, McIntosh MR-77, c-j Sonographe SC-25, c-j MF2500, Paradigm SE-3. Wireworld 8 IC, Blue Jeans SC. Shunyata Hydra 8 v.2, Shunyata Delta NR, Venom NR. GIK 244 bass & scatter-plate panels.
Old 11-12-2018, 09:03 AM
Ultra-Fast 69

Thanks for participating!

This type of involvement really makes a difference!
Old 11-12-2018, 11:48 AM

Welcome to the forum Mike
Old 03-11-2019, 01:28 PM

I know this is an old thread, but I just wanted to give a shout out to Mike for helping with recommendations on which GIK acoustic panels would best fit my space. They are up and I am truly amazed at the change. The improvements where primarily in more focused and powerful bass, and incredible imaging. IMHO for the price versus value, you can't beat properly placed room treatments.
Thanks again Mike!
Jon
Old 05-17-2019, 09:45 PM

Welcome Mike!!!