AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Tubes & Valves

Tubes & Valves Upgrades, Spares & General Comments

Old 12-02-2020, 08:26 PM

Default How often should you replace tubes?

I just replaced Gold Lions in my preamp and they had been in there 5 years+. The system is on an average of 5 hours a day.
The new tubes have tightened up the sound and expanded the soundstage.
Old 12-03-2020, 01:18 AM

Default How often should you replace tubes?

Here’s a pretty good read on the topic from our dear friend Dan...

https://www.audioaficionado.org/show...4&postcount=10
Old 12-03-2020, 01:31 AM

Well I certainly can’t keep an accurate enough captain’s logbook to track 7000 hrs....
Old 12-03-2020, 01:59 AM
George

I think it varies by tube and component. For my AR preamp the large 6H30P is 2,000 hours the rest of the 5 smaller tubes it is 3,000 hours according to Audio Research. But after about 2,000 hours one channel developed an intermittent whistle. So I changed all the small tubes and it went away. There recommendation may be based on optimal performance, not how long they will work. I have “heard” there is a performance drop off, but I cannot confirm from experience.
Main: Aurender W20SE music streamer, ARC REF 9SE DAC / CD, Linn LP 12, Koetsu Rosewood SignCartrige, ARC REF 3 Phono Stage, ARC REF 6SE Preamp, ARC 160s amp, Sonus Faber Amati Traditional Speakers,Transparent Ultra IC & SC Library:Aurender N100, Ayre QB9 2020 DAC, Woo WA5-LE amp upgraded tubes, Focal Utopia HP, Sennheiser 800s HP, LCD HP.

Last edited by George Prentice; 12-03-2020 at 02:01 AM.
Old 12-03-2020, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Prentice View Post
I think it varies by tube and component. For my AR preamp the large 6H30P is 2,000 hours the rest of the 5 smaller tubes it is 3,000 hours according to Audio Research. But after about 2,000 hours one channel developed an intermittent whistle. So I changed all the small tubes and it went away. There recommendation may be based on optimal performance, not how long they will work. I have “heard” there is a performance drop off, but I cannot confirm from experience.
George, small correction: the larger tube is a 6550. The smaller tubes are the 6h30.
Old 12-03-2020, 01:04 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fastdriving View Post
George, small correction: the larger tube is a 6550. The smaller tubes are the 6h30.
The 6H30 (aka known as 6N30, as the actual Cyrillic letter resembles both an "N" and an "H") are a Soviet military avionics tube and are extremely durable. They should be good for at least 10,000 hours or so.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 12-03-2020 at 01:37 PM.
Old 12-03-2020, 01:09 PM

I'm interested in following this thread as well...

with 12 tubes in my pre-amp, I've been doing a lot of research on what's the best way to go about avoiding degraded sound.
Old 12-03-2020, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
The 6H30 (aka known as 6N30, as the actual Cyrillic letter resembles both an "N" and an "H") are a Soviet military avionics tube and are extremely durable. They should be good for at least 10,000 hours or so.
Another fun fact about the 6h30 is that if you want to do "tube rolling", then avoid a preamp that uses this tube. There are only 2 tubes you can get for this, and my understanding is that they are essentially the same. There's the sovtek version and the electroharmonix. The EH version is the same as the sovtek, except it has gold pins.

Same with the bigger 6550 tube. However there are NOS versions of this tube that are in high demand.

This is why you don't hear many people talking about tube rolling with Audio Research. There's not much you can do.
Old 12-03-2020, 02:27 PM

It was Victor Khomenko of Balanced Audio Technology who first introduced the 6H30 to the audiophile world being that he is from the mother land of the tube and knew it well.

Yes, that tube was designed for maximum longevity and reliability for space and military applications.

In terms of sonics of that tube? It does its job, the BAT gear with that tube sounded richly textured in harmonics with a slight tilt to the darker side of neutral which bodes well with many speakers, rooms and music genres.

It just works, no need to look for all the "cliché" replacements.
Old 12-03-2020, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
It was Victor Khomenko of Balanced Audio Technology who first introduced the 6H30 to the audiophile world being that he is from the mother land of the tube and knew it well.

Yes, that tube was designed for maximum longevity and reliability for space and military applications.

In terms of sonics of that tube? It does its job, the BAT gear with that tube sounded richly textured in harmonics with a slight tilt to the darker side of neutral which bodes well with many speakers, rooms and music genres.

It just works, no need to look for all the "cliché" replacements.
I agree, it's a fantastic tube. This is why Audio Research uses it in all it's products.