AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > B&W Speakers

B&W Speakers Bowers & Wilkins Greatest

Old 11-09-2020, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUI0312 View Post
I have my B&W 805D3's connected to a Rotel RSP-1576 MKII pre/pro and a Rotel RMB-1585 amp. I used to have an Arcam connected to it. This really opened them up. My question is now with speaker cable. I bought a pair of Rocket 33's because I got them ridiculously cheap of someone. Is this a fair pairing?
I'd say yes, especially since you already own them. But there's a very good chance that upgrading speaker cables and interconnects will improve your sound significantly. But it's kind of a dark art. When you're ready, the best thing to do is borrow 2-3 sets from your local dealer and try them out.
Old 11-15-2020, 04:54 PM

Great YouTube comparison of 705 Signatures and 805 D3's. Yes, it's on YouTube, but you can hear the difference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gg2o...&start_radio=1
Old 11-15-2020, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdvidguy View Post
Great YouTube comparison of 705 Signatures and 805 D3's. Yes, it's on YouTube, but you can hear the difference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gg2o...&start_radio=1
Both sound extremely sterile and non musical in that room and on that video. Videos like that, no make it, rooms like that, do not do speakers any justice.
Old 11-16-2020, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
Both sound extremely sterile and non musical in that room and on that video. Videos like that, no make it, rooms like that, do not do speakers any justice.
Sure we are talking YouTube quality. But you can hear the difference. I listened on high quality headphones and heard it.
Old 11-16-2020, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdvidguy View Post
Sure we are talking YouTube quality. But you can hear the difference. I listened on high quality headphones and heard it.
It’s not so much YouTube as there are plenty of videos with smooth and musical speakers. It’s that room and could be the camera microphone but yes, there is a very noticeable difference between the two.

I’m personally not a fan of the B&W speakers other than their flagship products and even those would not be my first choice. But that’s personal preference really and has nothing to do with the fact that video doesn’t do either of those speakers justice.

Then again who shops for speakers over YouTube? Have to audition in person (somewhat of a problem now)
Old 11-17-2020, 01:37 PM

I’ve got 805D3, now paired with a CAMBRIDGE AUDIO EDGE-A (which is £5500 RRP and Class A first watts) and it still sounds bright...definitely equipment is broken in and speaker cables ain’t gonna fix that ;-)

These are just bright speakers I’m afraid...
Old 11-17-2020, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ti33er View Post
I’ve got 805D3, now paired with a CAMBRIDGE AUDIO EDGE-A (which is £5500 RRP and Class A first watts) and it still sounds bright...definitely equipment is broken in and speaker cables ain’t gonna fix that ;-)

These are just bright speakers I’m afraid...
Sorry I missed it, what is the rest of your gear? Source through to amps?
Old 11-17-2020, 03:58 PM

Hi Hdvidguy

My equipment chain is currently 805D3 on original Stands, Cambridge Audio EDGE-A, Pro-Ject S2 Ultra (USB/Optical) Streamer, ISOTEK ORION Mains, MarkGrant Mains, QED XT40i with Airlock Banana (had QED XT40, Van Damme 2x2.5mm and 2x4mm to compare; makes zero difference, but I like the look of the XT40i so that is place now)

I heard my 805D3 on a NAIM UNITI NOVA at the Dealers and was bright then too

Just before I sold my Monitor Audio Platinum setup, I compared the MA PL200 to these 805D3...the PL200 had a lot more bottom end and presence. The difference in the HF was the PL200 was more of a sSHh tone, whilst these 805D3 are more of a sSHT tone - sharper overall

Being honest, the PL200 is a better speaker musically, but Wife wanted less clutter so I’ve downsized to these standmounts...I will be getting another Subwoofer; had an SVS SB13 Ultra in the mix for a week before it was sold off - it was a better match for the PL200 though, in my experience

I’m up for a B&W DB3D or DB2D or pair of REL T7i...our of money right now though ;-)
Old 11-17-2020, 08:17 PM

Hi ti33er,
You list lots of gear that I can honestly say I never heard.

I’m a Bryston person and love it. I had Krell, Naim and Quad gear, but find Bryston fits me.

I use somewhat cheaper speaker cables, Linn K20 for all my upper end terminals and a custom cable for all lower end terminals. Also use all Bryston XLR’s between pre and amp. On my speakers never sounded bright, but I don’t have 805’s.
Old 11-18-2020, 03:51 AM

Hi Hdvidguy

You have the old Nautilus model? These were not sibilant in the way that the new D3 models are ...in my view the best 800 Series were the first D incarnation, had a syrupy signature to the tweeter.

TBH I bought these 805D3 blind, assuming they would be like the other D models........I was wrong ;-)