AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Aerial Acoustics

Aerial Acoustics Exceptional Performance

Old 04-21-2016, 08:48 AM

I Have mine crossed at 40hz, running 4 Martin Logan sealed, servo subs. I shut 2 of them off (2 in the back of the room) when I'm listening to music.
Old 04-27-2016, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg B View Post
I Have mine crossed at 40hz, running 4 Martin Logan sealed, servo subs. I shut 2 of them off (2 in the back of the room) when I'm listening to music.
Are you running them full range or using the high and low pass crossovers in your MLs?
Old 04-29-2016, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulphoosreal View Post
Are you running them full range or using the high and low pass crossovers in your MLs?
I'm using the high pass crossover @80hz
Old 04-29-2016, 02:18 PM

Quote:
I'm using the high pass crossover @80hz
Thanks for the info Greg. When you said your crossover was at 40 I was seeing how that worked for you. I high and low pass at approx 40hz and it seems to give the Aerials more dynamics and bottom heft without losing their tonality.
Old 04-29-2016, 04:28 PM

i've not heard the aerial 7T's. lots of high praise here. what is their sound like? i have thiel CS6's.
Mcintosh C1100 preamp, Mcintosh Mc462 amp, SF Amati Tradition, VPI prime 21, koetsu rosewood sig, oppo 105, marantz 8802A, sony projector, stewart screen, thiel in wall and ceiling, REL sub, Outlaw surround amps, shunyata 6000 v2, shunyata sigma V2 NR(X2), shunyata sigma V2 HC for denali, transparent ultra gen5 speaker and IC's, ultra gen 6 phono, MIT oracle matrix 50.
Old 04-29-2016, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dentlfly View Post
i've not heard the aerial 7T's. lots of high praise here. what is their sound like? i have thiel CS6's.
Thiels are a completely different speaker. Aerials can best be described as very neutral,musical and revealing. If the recording is great it will sound so. If bad. On Aerials. Hold your ears. Again. My 2 cents.
Old 05-01-2016, 11:45 AM

^^^Agreed. I haven't heard those particular Thiels but the Aerials are very revealing. They reveal everything from the recording to the associated equipment IMO. They image very well, far better than anything else I've heard in their price range.
Old 05-02-2016, 02:33 PM

Quote:
^^^Agreed. I haven't heard those particular Thiels but the Aerials are very revealing. They reveal everything from the recording to the associated equipment IMO. They image very well, far better than anything else I've heard in their price range.
IMO and 2 cents the Aerial 7Ts are the best speaker out there in the 20k and under price range. They do everything well. Add a couple of JL subs and you have a full range system that would be hard to beat for under 30/40k. Of course we all hear differently and want different things from our speakers. I value neutrality , musicality, soundstage and dynamics. That are non fatiguing. I found all of the above in my 7Ts and JL E 110 subs. But then again I get the upgrade syndrome and can't wait for the 12Ts to be out. Then I've heard really good input on Monitor Audios PLIi 500 speakers. Seems I'm always chasing newer and better. But then I spend a session with the 7s and I think why do I need anything more???
Old 05-02-2016, 08:15 PM

I agree the 7Ts are some of the best speakers out there with subs. If the room is relatively big, then I submit adding subs are a must! That being said, the 7Ts are at a specific price point for a reason. Although I haven't heard the 20Ts, I'm assuming they must be better than the 7Ts. I'm sure the 12Ts will be a step-up from the 7Ts. I think they compete against speakers above their price category, but I do think they have their limitations. I remember when I had Wilson Sophia 3s and I kept going back and forth(I still do it every time I think about upgrading) about rather to upgrade to Sashas. My audiophile friend simply said, "Wilson has a line-up for a reason." He reminded me that "not always", but usually higher cost equates to better performance.
As much as I loved my Aerial 7ts with subs, there is something about subs I don't like. I can't put my finger on it, but that's why I ultimately wanted to find a speaker that I felt didn't require subs. If my room was smaller I would have kept my Aerial 7Ts.
Old 05-02-2016, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricjor1 View Post
I agree the 7Ts are some of the best speakers out there with subs. If the room is relatively big, then I submit adding subs are a must! That being said, the 7Ts are at a specific price point for a reason. Although I haven't heard the 20Ts, I'm assuming they must be better than the 7Ts. I'm sure the 12Ts will be a step-up from the 7Ts. I think they compete against speakers above their price category, but I do think they have their limitations. I remember when I had Wilson Sophia 3s and I kept going back and forth(I still do it every time I think about upgrading) about rather to upgrade to Sashas. My audiophile friend simply said, "Wilson has a line-up for a reason." He reminded me that "not always", but usually higher cost equates to better performance. As much as I loved my Aerial 7ts with subs, there is something about subs I don't like. I can't put my finger on it, but that's why I ultimately wanted to find a speaker that I felt didn't require subs. If my room was smaller I would have kept my Aerial 7Ts.
I totally agree with your assessment that adding subs takes something from the equation.
Those Monitors have become for me a search for the holy grail. Will talk with you on that soon.