AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > General Audio Discussion

General Audio Discussion All other Audio Q & A

Old 04-29-2021, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonmb View Post
If it’s just to be able to pick up a few deals vs the cost of CDs, then I’d say it’s not worth it. If the cheaper vinyl is new, then the quality probably won’t be great - good new pressings aren’t usually cheap. If you’re shopping used, some real gems are out there, but the good used stuff isn’t usually cheap either, the waters can be treacherous, and you’ll want a record cleaning machine to get the most out of used purchases. In either case, a streaming service subscription or buying used CDs on eBay might be better, cheaper options.

If, on the other hand, you already have a preexisting vinyl collection you haven’t played in a while, or if you want to be serious about playing vinyl because you enjoy the sound and like to collect great vinyl, then of course it’s worth it. There are some very nice turntables to be had for $3-5k from brands like Rega, Pro-Ject, VPI, and several others. What’s your budget?
I don't think that I provided enough detail in the OP. I'm not considering a turntable simply because LPs cost a few bucks less. Instead, I'm considering it because there are numerous titles that are either being used to make silly profits -- on the used CD/SACD/HDCD/DVD-A/BD-A market -- or are simply no longer available in any of the various 120 mm "CD" forms. I also have some very old LPs, like a complete Chicago collection I won in a contest (circa '76), that has been collecting dust for far too long.

As we already have about as much as we can handle into our Mac gear -- and plans to add more at the end of this summer -- the turntable would have to be reasonably priced...say $1,500 or less. Given what I've read in this thread, thus far, it would seem that this budget doesn't even get one close to even a "decent" platter spinner...so, perhaps, we should be looking for a used unit?

If anyone has any recommendations about good used makes/models, I'd be much obliged.

Thanks again for your time

OUR VINTAGE MAC: MAC4100, MAC4200 | AMPS: MC452, MC300 | MAC PRE/PROS: MX151, MX130, MX121 | B&W SPEAKERS: (2) N802s, (2) N805s, (1) HTM3S | NEWER EQUIPMENT: Oppo 203 & 105D, Sony X800M2, Denon CDR-W1500 | VIDEO DISPLAY: 65" LG OLED | IMPORTANT NOTE: Zero High-speed internet connections
Old 04-29-2021, 03:54 PM

Ah, that’s clearer. I can’t comment on used, but if you want to buy new, there are some nice tables that won’t disappoint in your price range from Rega, Pro-ject, VPI and others. I bought my son a Rega Planar 3 for his birthday last year and he’s quite happy with it. Setup is simple, no tweaking required, and it makes nice tunes for $1100 including cartridge, and you can always upgrade the cartridge. That would leave you a few hundred bucks for a nice used record cleaning machine from VPI or Nitty Gritty.
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2
Old 04-29-2021, 04:15 PM

Smile NW Washington State

Quote:
Ah, that’s clearer. I can’t comment on used, but if you want to buy new, there are some nice tables that won’t disappoint in your price range from Rega, Pro-ject, VPI and others. I bought my son a Rega Planar 3 for his birthday last year and he’s quite happy with it. Setup is simple, no tweaking required, and it makes nice tunes for $1100 including cartridge, and you can always upgrade the cartridge. That would leave you a few hundred bucks for a nice used record cleaning machine from VPI or Nitty Gritty.
Tony..... Back in the 90s, the Mrs and I used to fly into a given airport, rent a car and tour the adjacent area(s). On one of those trips, we drove up to Seattle and, unfortunately, ran into a bit of traffic-related trouble that made staying there unpleasant for us....but, instead of continuing on to your part of the state, we made a trip around the peninsula. Regardless, I recall seeing some of the Cascade peaks up there, as we drove in and out of Seattle, and I've always wanted to get back up there someday. Too bad it's so friggin' far away from us.

Regardless, thanks for the encouraging words about decent turntables that don't require a second mortgage.

OUR VINTAGE MAC: MAC4100, MAC4200 | AMPS: MC452, MC300 | MAC PRE/PROS: MX151, MX130, MX121 | B&W SPEAKERS: (2) N802s, (2) N805s, (1) HTM3S | NEWER EQUIPMENT: Oppo 203 & 105D, Sony X800M2, Denon CDR-W1500 | VIDEO DISPLAY: 65" LG OLED | IMPORTANT NOTE: Zero High-speed internet connections
Old 04-29-2021, 05:10 PM
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70sMac View Post
-- the turntable would have to be reasonably priced...say $1,500 or less. Given what I've read in this thread, thus far, it would seem that this budget doesn't even get one close to even a "decent" platter spinner...so, perhaps, we should be looking for a used unit?

If anyone has any recommendations about good used makes/models, I'd be much obliged.

Thanks again for your time
Au contraire, mon ami. As has been suggested, the Rega P3 is an excellent place to start and is very musical with any number of cartridges. One in particular that would fit in your budget is the Audio Technica VM750SH. You can always go up or down from there. Same with the Technics SL-1200GR, which is direct-drive and meets your budget.

As you mentioned used, you might be able to find a good, used TT/TA with or without a cartridge in the classifieds here or Audiogon or U.S. Audio Mart. There is what appears to be a nice Rega Planar 6 (step up from the Planar 3) with a Denon DL110 (very popular MC cartridge) available at the moment within your budget, as well as a Planar 3. If purchasing used, try to find one with the original packaging materials to insure safe shipping.

Good luck in your search and keep up posted.
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 04-29-2021, 06:51 PM
AA Founder, Legend AV Owner

Quote:
[emoji106][emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]
And the plural of vinyl is vinyl.
I beg to differ; vinyl and mo’ vinyl.
MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A300 AMPS, C3900 PRE-AMP, DP1000 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC1000 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-68 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1X/D1X STACK, G1X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS(4), BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) ALTAIRA CG & SG HUBS, AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES
Old 04-30-2021, 02:52 AM
Life is beautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterlu View Post
I beg to differ; vinyl and mo’ vinyl.

Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 04-30-2021, 04:23 AM
Member of the Music Squad

Pro Vinyl
Pro Reel to Reel
Pro Cassette
Pro CD
Pro SACD
Pro Streaming

And...

Pro Gear to enjoy them all!
Sonus Faber Elipsa SE | REL S/812 | Goldmund Telos 280 | EAR Yoshino 912 | Merason DAC1 | Innuos ZENith Mk3 | Clearaudio Innovation Basic + TT5 + Lyra Delos | Studer A810+A807 | Nakamichi Dragon | RDacoustic Hybrid Acoustic Diffuser
Old 04-30-2021, 09:03 AM

Ahh...the lure of vinyl.
As a teenager, I had a modest system with a Dual 1219 turntable. A few years after CD's came out, I bought a Sony player (after all it was 'perfect sound forever'). Couldn't listen to it and everyone thought I was crazy. It was then I started my real audio journey, did some research and bought a used Linn LP-12. What a revelation! Numerous upgrades later, including an Audiomat phono stage (may not be well known in the US as it's made in France) it blew CD's away. But time moves on, and not sure I would get into vinyl now - and try to maintain both an analogue and digital system.
Old 04-30-2021, 03:43 PM
Life is beautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by joel_hifi View Post
Pro Vinyl
Pro Reel to Reel
Pro Cassette
Pro CD
Pro SACD
Pro Streaming

And...

Pro Gear to enjoy them all!

Pro live music above all... (sigh)
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 04-30-2021, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart View Post
Pro live music above all... (sigh)

[emoji106][emoji106][emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2