AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Meridian Audio

Meridian Audio Listen Closely

Old 05-22-2015, 12:00 PM

Default Roon integration into Sooloos

I have it from a solid source that Roon integration into Meridian Sooloos will not happen, so it looks like Sooloos 3 isn't coming. I hope this info isn't correct but if it is I wonder why M would let the original Sooloos guys spin off to Roon seeing as Roon could/will take significantly from Meridian's Sooloos market.......
Old 05-22-2015, 04:34 PM

At the moment Roon is missing some critical parts like iOS support and a linux/docker platform to be put on a modern NAS but when that comes out I think everyone will ask themselves what they want and if it's actually worth the hassle of switching.

For new owners I guess the choice is easier, but not everyone fancy a subscription model, I mean If I don't pay for a year what will I be able to do with my Roon setup?

And perhaps the next question, will Roon survive the first 5 years unscathed?
Old 05-22-2015, 04:52 PM

I am not sure what you mean by integration. Roon will already use your Sooloos files but you have to turn off your Sooloos Core which I am not going to do. There are some other issue too.

As far as Meridian and Sooloos, I have copied this Meridian post from another site.
What is next for the Meridian Sooloos product range?

Even though Meridian has an enviable track record of innovation we tend to be reluctant to discuss details of future products or upgrades too early in their development cycle as we really don’t like to disappoint our customers if, for whatever reason, they don’t materialise. Despite that, we want to share with you some information on a few of the upcoming Meridian Sooloos updates:

Format Roadmap
• Changes are under way to enable core support for 24-bit ALAC, DSD, and ‘8x’ sample-rates including DXD via MQA. As currently, the core mediates all formats to the various endpoints and no-one will be left behind.
• We are adding support for albums and sets with mixed-sample-rates.
• MQA. The current system is MQA-aware but during the next few months MQA decoding will be added.
• As currently, the Sooloos system is able to send the optimum signal to each end-point.

Hardware Roadmap
Our recently announced 818v3 and 808v6 fully support the formats listed above, including native decode of DSD (DoP) and MQA and, as you might expect, there are a number of other announcements coming.

Exclusive content
Curated collections via TIDAL. One of the biggest problems for newcomers to serious music listening is building a collection that suits their taste. In the past this involved ripping CDs or laboriously accumulating downloads. With our special integration of TIDAL we can add simple-to-install curated music sets as a small download.

Core and Storage Hardware
Last year we released a plug-in for the QNAP NAS range that provides Sooloos-compatible storage. Beginning with the next release we add an option to run our Sooloos Core on QNAP. This means that more music lovers can join the Meridian Sooloos world without any compromise to sound quality. A QNAP, an iPad and a Meridian Sooloos end-point will get you started!

Moreover, we are enabling the Sooloos music library to be ‘watched’ allowing you to try alternative music control apps, such as the forthcoming Roon software, but to keep all of your superior, bespoke metadata.

Control
You may have noticed rapid developments in the iPhone and iPad clients. The iPad app is undergoing further optimisation and, as usual, when that is released it’s a free upgrade.

From our next release there is also a brand-new Control option. Touch:PC provides an enhanced version of the interface hitherto only available in Control:15. For the user who appreciates the benefit of a large-scale touch screen, this free software can be installed in any touch PC running Windows 7 or 8 that has a 1920x1080 display.

As you can see there is a lot coming, particularly focussing on sound quality and convenience.

Thank you for your continued support of Meridian. This is just the start, we will have a lot more to tell you over the coming months…

Best wishes,
John
Old 05-22-2015, 04:56 PM

From what I have seen I am sticking with Sooloos and dumping Roon. That is not the interface I want to select and play music. It's good for those who care about all that meta-data crapola.
Old 12-26-2015, 05:32 PM

Hello,
Has the Control touch been already released? How can I install it on my Windows 10 Dell Notebook? Can it be downloaded? I have Control 10 with Ensemble.
Thank you!

Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still-One View Post
I am not sure what you mean by integration. Roon will already use your Sooloos files but you have to turn off your Sooloos Core which I am not going to do. There are some other issue too.

As far as Meridian and Sooloos, I have copied this Meridian post from another site.
What is next for the Meridian Sooloos product range?

Even though Meridian has an enviable track record of innovation we tend to be reluctant to discuss details of future products or upgrades too early in their development cycle as we really don’t like to disappoint our customers if, for whatever reason, they don’t materialise. Despite that, we want to share with you some information on a few of the upcoming Meridian Sooloos updates:

Format Roadmap
• Changes are under way to enable core support for 24-bit ALAC, DSD, and ‘8x’ sample-rates including DXD via MQA. As currently, the core mediates all formats to the various endpoints and no-one will be left behind.
• We are adding support for albums and sets with mixed-sample-rates.
• MQA. The current system is MQA-aware but during the next few months MQA decoding will be added.
• As currently, the Sooloos system is able to send the optimum signal to each end-point.

Hardware Roadmap
Our recently announced 818v3 and 808v6 fully support the formats listed above, including native decode of DSD (DoP) and MQA and, as you might expect, there are a number of other announcements coming.

Exclusive content
Curated collections via TIDAL. One of the biggest problems for newcomers to serious music listening is building a collection that suits their taste. In the past this involved ripping CDs or laboriously accumulating downloads. With our special integration of TIDAL we can add simple-to-install curated music sets as a small download.

Core and Storage Hardware
Last year we released a plug-in for the QNAP NAS range that provides Sooloos-compatible storage. Beginning with the next release we add an option to run our Sooloos Core on QNAP. This means that more music lovers can join the Meridian Sooloos world without any compromise to sound quality. A QNAP, an iPad and a Meridian Sooloos end-point will get you started!

Moreover, we are enabling the Sooloos music library to be ‘watched’ allowing you to try alternative music control apps, such as the forthcoming Roon software, but to keep all of your superior, bespoke metadata.

Control
You may have noticed rapid developments in the iPhone and iPad clients. The iPad app is undergoing further optimisation and, as usual, when that is released it’s a free upgrade.

From our next release there is also a brand-new Control option. Touch:PC provides an enhanced version of the interface hitherto only available in Control:15. For the user who appreciates the benefit of a large-scale touch screen, this free software can be installed in any touch PC running Windows 7 or 8 that has a 1920x1080 display.

As you can see there is a lot coming, particularly focussing on sound quality and convenience.

Thank you for your continued support of Meridian. This is just the start, we will have a lot more to tell you over the coming months…

Best wishes,
John
Old 12-27-2015, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribavel View Post
Hello, Has the Control touch been already released? How can I install it on my Windows 10 Dell Notebook? Can it be downloaded? I have Control 10 with Ensemble. Thank you! Paul
There has been a lot of progress since May when these posts were made. I would suggest you go to the Roon site and look at the message and support boards.
Old 12-27-2015, 10:58 AM

I suspect Ribavel is referring to the Sooloos Touch PC application.

Sooloos Touch:PC Application | Meridian - Streaming | The Hitchhikers Guide To Meridian

From this thread:

"If you are running the current version (2.477) of Sooloos:

Call up a web browser pointing it at your System Core:

i.e. http://ip.address.of.core

(With your core's IP address)

Settings - Touch:PC

(Where Control:PC comes from)"

Soundserge
Old 03-18-2019, 03:52 PM

Bump, the 218 and an iPad make short work of integrating Roon and DSP speakers.
Old 03-18-2019, 03:57 PM

This thread is so old that nothing is relevant any longer.

I moved to Roon over two years ago and the product continues to improve.

Meridian announced last week that they will no longer do anything with Sooloos.
Old 03-18-2019, 04:32 PM

Hope that Meridian updates some of their newer stuff to support RAAT and/or Roon doesn’t drop Sooloos protocol. Just picked up the 218 and love it.