View Poll Results: Your experience with acupuncturists and chiropractors
Acupuncture worked for me 8 33.33%
Acupuncture did NOT work for me 4 16.67%
Chiropractic worked for me 18 75.00%
Chiropractic did NOT work for me 5 20.83%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-16-2012, 09:19 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Alberto.......I have never been to either, and don't plan to visit.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 04-16-2012, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amfibius View Post
There is no such thing as alternative medicine What do you call alternative medicine that works? Medicine.

Chiropractors and acupuncturists are quacks. Both have done a remarkable job misrepresenting and marketing themselves so that they seem legitimate. I don't know about the USA, but over here chiropractic is taught in some universities, which should be to their eternal shame. They should know that if they let these charlatans into their campus, they will pay a price in their credibility.

There is no anatomical basis to their "subluxation" theory impinging nerves and causing illness. Take an X-ray of someone with a claimed chiropractic subluxation, and their spines may very well appear normal. On the other hand, take an X-ray of someone with REAL subluxation (an "orthopaedic" subluxation) and you may very well find them with none of the diseases chiropractors assign to such subluxations.

I completely repudiate their claims of spinal manipulation curing asthma, irritable bowel syndrome, heart disease, high blood pressure, and so on. It is unmitigated BS.
That's funny my Chiropractor does't do or suggest anything like what you note. What he does by adjusting my spine or hip works a lot better than pills from my MD. No quacks here.

Jim
Old 04-16-2012, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djwhog View Post
many times joints etc get out of alignment etc.
Correct. And the effect of this is precisely zero.

Quote:
There is a place for a knife and a Med Dr, but that should be the last attempt.
In other words, you are advocating that we go through a whole library of quacks who will utter new age mumbo-jumbo, do absolutely nothing to diagnose or alleviate the problem - at the risk of worsening the condition to a point of no return - before seeking medical attention?

(edit) I should probably say that every now and then I do go on a bit of a rant and I am sorry if I have caused offence. I thought about it a little and then realized that AA has a very high proportion of people who experience their lives subjectively. There are quite a few people here who use Shakti stones, Hallographs, and the like. Likewise, there are many calls to prayer for various things (e.g. the recent call for prayers for Robin Gibb). I believe in none of these things, but I say nothing to keep the peace and because these tweaks and overt expressions of religiosity are ultimately harmless.

However - choosing to see an alternative medical practioner is a different matter. You are not only wasting time and money, you are putting your health at risk.
Source: Playback Designs MPS-5, Micro-Seiki BL99V, MA505 Mk2, Lyra Dorian, Denon 103D, RCM Sensor Phono Stage. Amplification: Cary SLP-05 pre, Cary CAD-211AE, SGR EL30S power, Marchand XM44. Speakers: Acapella High Violon, JL Audio F110 subwoofer pair. Pictures here

Last edited by Amfibius; 04-16-2012 at 10:09 PM.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberto View Post
For the past couple of days I've had a nagging neck pain. A lot of people have been recommending seeing an acupuncturist or a chiropractor.
Alberto
Alberto...I don't believe in acupuncture or chiro......appears to voodoo like to me. It seems pretty funky to put a pin in your foot for a stomach ache. Probably a placebo affect.........but then again Audiophile's thrive on that. But I do believe in weight lifting and cardio exercise. Squats are the perfect exercise for back pain along with abdominal crunches. Strengthening your back and stomach muscles as Dave stated is key.

A nagging neck pain could be stress induced. Go to a regular MD and rule out anything serious then start your weight training and don't forget cardio, proper nutrition, and supplements. See you in the gym and pump some iron.

Ron
Processor: McIntosh MX170, Amp: Legacy Audio i-V7, Digital: Benchmark DAC3B, Roon Music Player, Oppo UDP-205, Apple TV 4K, Fire TV Stick 4K Max, Analog: Gold Note Pianosa Turntable, Gold Note PH-10 Phono Preamplifier, Donatello MC Cartridge, Speakers: Legacy Audio Signature SE Natural Sapele Pommele, Silverscreen HD Center, JL Audio e112-Gloss Sub
Old 04-16-2012, 11:04 PM

Yes that is why most people are fat, weak out of shape and spend millions on insurance and Dr.'s since they all all experts are sick and live such poor quality of life.

Msybe that is why they call the so called Dr.'s and mainstream medical you are saying are not quakes a PRACTIE. Learn as you go

This is meant as no disrespect to the Dr.s of the world. But Chiro's are not all quakes, just as all Dr.'s even those that push drugs before exercise and vitamins and nutrition are still not quakes, just misguided,

pretty bold generalization of a statement you make that is very narrow minded and lacks no facts.

I would never label even those I do not agree with a quake, would be like calling a Mark Levingston owner a quake since they don't own a McIntosh. Makes no sense to me...

Any back to the point asked, depends on you issues health wise, bones, joints, tendons etc. on most occasions proper stretching, therapy, exercise and fitness training will solve most issues, and a knive is the last result.

There are many many PT clinics across the world that do almost word for word what most all Chiro's do.

good luck.

Kirk OUT!

Old 04-16-2012, 11:14 PM
That's a Deusy !

I woulds also look into a stretching routine . Yoga and Tai Chi can help there. Ice and heat wraps and also massage can work wonders too.
Marantz( UD8004,AV8802a ), Oppo udp 203 JLAudio Fathom F-110, B&W( 802 series III , FCMS8, SCMS8) . WireWorld Eclipse 6 xlr(7) Sliver Eclipse 5.2 HDMI (3) electra 5.2 powercords . HRS Nimbus , lg 55 Oled Nvidia Shield PS Audio PPP

System 2 Panasonic G25 Marantz av8003

Last edited by Doug Lax; 04-16-2012 at 11:25 PM.
Old 04-16-2012, 11:25 PM
That's a Deusy !

Yoga for Arthritis Patients from Johns Hopkins
Marantz( UD8004,AV8802a ), Oppo udp 203 JLAudio Fathom F-110, B&W( 802 series III , FCMS8, SCMS8) . WireWorld Eclipse 6 xlr(7) Sliver Eclipse 5.2 HDMI (3) electra 5.2 powercords . HRS Nimbus , lg 55 Oled Nvidia Shield PS Audio PPP

Old 04-16-2012, 11:27 PM
That's a Deusy !

Tai chi: Discover the many possible health benefits - MayoClinic.com

Old 04-17-2012, 03:31 AM

Take 2 of these & three of those & don't do that!!!!!

Seriously, I've had more success with Osteopaths/Chiropractors than drs, I've even had relative success with acupuncturists. My belief is that there are good & bad in both, this coming from my own experience/misfortune in life, but sadly, there seems to be some very misguided views & some appalling narrow mindedness/my sandbox theories. In saying that my own opinion is if you come across a good medical doctor cherish him as they are very few & far between in my part of the world but worth their weight in 18k gold.
Old 04-17-2012, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djwhog View Post
This is meant as no disrespect to the Dr.s of the world. But Chiro's are not all quakes, just as all Dr.'s even those that push drugs before exercise and vitamins and nutrition are still not quakes, just misguided,
Sorry, but all chiropractors are quacks, in the same way that there is no such thing as a witch who can perform spells. Seeing a chiropractor to cure your ailment is the same as seeing a voodoo practitioner instead of a lawyer to correct an injustice. If the premise of your claim is wrong, and you base a profession on the claim, then your entire profession is wrong. Would you argue that only some homeopaths are wrong? Actually, every last one of them, down to a man, is wrong.

Here is a simple question for chiropractors. With medical imaging, we can measure bone alignment down to a very fine resolution. Has anybody done a study to document precisely what subluxations are associated with what disease, and shown CT and MRI evidence that the said subluxation exists? Or better still, a follow-up CT/MRI to show that the manipulation has corrected the subluxation?

Answer: no such thing.

Chiropractors are down there somewhere with homepaths, crystal practitioners, iridologists, kineseologists, and so on. These people lack medical training - they can not recognize your condition, and they can not treat it. There are multiple case reports of cancers going undetected whilst time is wasted seeing these quacks.

Like I said - if you were only wasting time and money, I would let you. But these people actually cause harm through neglect - which is why I am saying something.

Quote:
I would never label even those I do not agree with a quake, would be like calling a Mark Levingston owner a quake since they don't own a McIntosh. Makes no sense to me...
If it makes you feel better, I didn't call them a quake either. I tend to reserve that word for things that shake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzr
In saying that my own opinion is if you come across a good medical doctor cherish him as they are very few & far between in my part of the world but worth their weight in 18k gold.
Don't worry bzr I reserve nearly as much bile for the members of my own profession as I do for chiropractors. There are plenty of things wrong with medical practice which renders treatment far less effective than they should be. There is also a difference between "proof" in context of study and "intention to treat" type studies. Many of the benefits of drugs in closed studies tend to disappear when applied in the real world in ways which are not obvious to people who are not physicians. Then there is the whole addiction of medical practitioners to the technology of medicine, with too little focus on the human aspect of medicine. I could go on and on
Source: Playback Designs MPS-5, Micro-Seiki BL99V, MA505 Mk2, Lyra Dorian, Denon 103D, RCM Sensor Phono Stage. Amplification: Cary SLP-05 pre, Cary CAD-211AE, SGR EL30S power, Marchand XM44. Speakers: Acapella High Violon, JL Audio F110 subwoofer pair. Pictures here

Last edited by Amfibius; 04-17-2012 at 03:57 AM.