AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Cables Galore

Cables Galore Speaker cables, Interconnects & Power cords

Old 05-18-2021, 10:45 PM

Default TOGA's final XLR cables shoot-out

Hi guys,

I am a cable believer and am in the process of choosing the final interconnect cables to connect the Esoteric K1X player to MOON 850P preamp.
What I use between Moon 850P and MOON 888 is TARA LABS
Zero Evolution, which I don't have a plan to replace.

Now I have 3 options in mind and none of them is available for audition

1. Transparent OPUS G6
2. TARA LABS Grand Master Evolution
3. Siltech Triple Crown

What I currently use or tried before were

1. Purist Dominus Revision < pretty good with Accuphase DP900 and AYON CD35, but didn't seem to match well with Esoteric and is now too short anyway.
2. Stage III Concepts Gryphon < this one is long enough and generally good but didn't have the ability to distinguish all the changes in music as well as both Transparent cables below.
3. Transparent XL G5 < a long term loan cable that keeps me impressed every time, low level details were the best and tonality was very natural, one of the best until what I am using now, but I have to return it to dealer
soon.
4. Transparent Opus G5,also a long term loan, similar to 3 but at much higher performance, it was the only one that made me hear the difference between the clocks and clock cables so clearly that I managed to get Esoteric G1 clock eventually.
5. TARA Grand Master Evolution, a 3 night loan cable, it is long gone, But I remember it made a very beautiful sound. I wasn't impressed with Opus G5 as much at first. Then after days of listening, I knew the Opus G5 was
better at distinguishing all the details and all the dynamic contrast while Tara was more beguiling. there is currently no stock at the dealer for a second demo.

Of all three options I can guess the Tara and Siltech will be the most difficult to use due to stiffness, but more flexible when time to change the
equipment in the far future as the OPUS will require a re-calibration.

If the deal goes well I prefer the Opus G6 as the G5 has proven itself in
this very system before. But If the final price is unreachable, then I may have
to turn in the TARA or Siltech direction, or even the XL G6. I never had a chance to listen to Siltech interconnect before, but there is a Crown Princess available for demo.

Any of you guys have direct experience with any of these three options I mentioned ? Thanks.

Toga
P.S. apologise if my English is poor, but I hope you can understand.

Last edited by TOGA; 05-20-2021 at 01:36 PM.
Old 05-18-2021, 11:16 PM

Hi TOGA

The options you're looking at don't appear to be cheap. If you mix brands it really is best to try at home before you buy. You have a good idea of what the Transparent line can do for you. If you could try home demo for the TARA Labs and Siltech models, I urge you to pursue to see if you prefer over the Transparent Gen 6.

I own a Moon W5 amp and am upgrading my Transparent Gen 1 Super level cables to Gen 6. For my situation, you can see television station broadcast antennas, radio transmission towers and cell towers. Some from my window. Has to do with living on a hill. The Transparent interconnects and speaker cables reject noise and lower the noise floor to bring out subtleties in sound details which make them very satisfying. I listened to the Super level Gen 6s in my audition today for Vandersteen 2Ce Signature IIIs. I ordered both the cables and the speakers, as well as HRS nimbus noise dampening system for my power amp. I own a Classe preamp and use the HRS nimbus system with it. I finally own decent audiophile grade cabinets.

I am getting trade in - exchange credit for my Gen 1 Transparent cables. Transparent has this program to make it more affordable for their customers to update or upgrade their cables. I don't know of any other cable company that does this.

Good luck with your shoot out.

Boom Boom
Old 05-20-2021, 04:12 AM

Decision is made.
Transparent Opus G6.
Based on experience from using G5 both XL and Opus.
Not the most sweet and richest sounding like others . But it tracked all the small sonic change in musics while retaining musicality.
I am enjoying to hear the differences between each songs rather than sugar coated on everything.
I am also worried that the TARA Grand Master will not able to bent in tight turn well enough in the length that I can afford.
I can't risk paying that money on Siltech Triple Crown without any chance to audition it first.

Toga

Last edited by TOGA; 05-20-2021 at 01:39 PM.