AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Accuphase

Accuphase Enrich Life through Technology

Old 08-30-2014, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_72 View Post
They're at CES every year.
Fair enough , even if CES is also a trade show. I don't see any Accuphase backed displays at any of retail hi-fi shows I have attended - save perhaps something in a corner that a dealer brought with him.

The point being that they do not rely on advertising as much as other companies but in non-English speaking countries the Hifi press are still keen to review their products.

BTW, in Japan, the DP-720 won Stereo magazine's Grand Prix in 2013 ( what ever that means!)
Old 08-30-2014, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvp View Post
The Accuphase pricing policy outside Japan has a very clear goal, i.e. exclusivity. Furthermore, one should also realise that Japan is the main market for Accuphase products and that Accuphase is a rather small company (which as far as I understand is family owned). As such, I do not think they are interested in selling (say 2-3 times) more units outside Japan than they are currently selling. That will most likely compromise both the exclusivity and the quality of their products.

Having said all this, I should also say that Accuphase pricing policy in Europe has changed lately. The new models are significantly cheaper than the previous models. For example, the A-65 amp was 18k euros while the A-70 amp costs “only” 15k euros, similarly the DP-700 player was 20k euros while the DP-710 is 17k euros. Consequently, I do not feel that in Europe Accuphase prices are significantly higher than the prices of other companies from USA and/or Japan. For starters one should compare Mcintosh prices in Europe and in USA, but the list is pretty long.

Regarding the Accuphase importers, two different dealers told me that there seem to be family connections between the owner(s) of PIA (the German Accuphase importer which is the top-end Accuphase importer in Europe) and the owners of Accuphase in Japan, and also between the owners of PIA and the owner of Hifine (the Accuphas importer for Benelux). It appears that in Europe the prices are set by PIA. The rest of the importers are allowed to change the PIA prices, but not wildly, e.g. in the Netherlands Accuphase prices are around 5% higher than in Germany as less units are sold here.
Having spoken to Accuphase importers in 2 countries i can tell you that pricing policy outside Japan is NOT set by Accuphase. I wish it was. They do not make any more on the wholesale price of gear they sell to foreign dealers compared to japan.

Asian Accuphase pricing closely follows the Japanese pricing because Asians will not put up with the BS from importers that we seem to. In the EU, things are worse because although they allow free trade within member countries, they have draconian measures in place to make sure everything imported outside the EU gets slugged duty, VAT and is not a pleasant experience.

The USA surprises me I must admit. The ability to buy direct from Japan is there, US import costs are relatively low yet people still pay off the wall prices. In Australia, the official price is high but due to the intense competition from Asian neighbours actual buying prices are reasonable.

Last edited by Masterlu; 08-30-2014 at 12:14 PM. Reason: Links to non-sponsors is against forum rules.
Old 08-30-2014, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvp View Post
The Accuphase pricing policy outside Japan has a very clear goal, i.e. exclusivity. Furthermore, one should also realise that Japan is the main market for Accuphase products and that Accuphase is a rather small company (which as far as I understand is family owned). As such, I do not think they are interested in selling (say 2-3 times) more units outside Japan than they are currently selling. That will most likely compromise both the exclusivity and the quality of their products.

Having said all this, I should also say that Accuphase pricing policy in Europe has changed lately. The new models are significantly cheaper than the previous models. For example, the A-65 amp was 18k euros while the A-70 amp costs “only” 15k euros, similarly the DP-700 player was 20k euros while the DP-710 is 17k euros. Consequently, I do not feel that in Europe Accuphase prices are significantly higher than the prices of other companies from USA and/or Japan. For starters one should compare Mcintosh prices in Europe and in USA, but the list is pretty long.

Regarding the Accuphase importers, two different dealers told me that there seem to be family connections between the owner(s) of PIA (the German Accuphase importer which is the top-end Accuphase importer in Europe) and the owners of Accuphase in Japan, and also between the owners of PIA and the owner of Hifine (the Accuphas importer for Benelux). It appears that in Europe the prices are set by PIA. The rest of the importers are allowed to change the PIA prices, but not wildly, e.g. in the Netherlands Accuphase prices are around 5% higher than in Germany as less units are sold here.
Accuphase is a small company (less than 100 People, 35 qualified engineers amongst them). Please read the English translations of two interviews on their homepage under Review.
The company manufactures about 6'000 Units a year. Two thirds are sold in Japan directly via retailers (no wholesalers), so only about 2'000 go to the rest of the world.
The Accuphase managment never wanted to grow the company beyond their 100 employees.

Falling prices for new models in Europe are not the result of a pricing policy, but rather the result of the weak exchange rate of the Yen.
Old 08-30-2014, 09:37 AM
Life is beautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp1 View Post
Having spoken to Accuphase importers in 2 countries i can tell you that pricing policy outside Japan is NOT set by Accuphase. I wish it was. They do not make any more on the wholesale price of gear they sell to foreign dealers compared to japan.

Asian Accuphase pricing closely follows the Japanese pricing because Asians will not put up with the BS from importers that we seem to. In the EU, things are worse because although they allow free trade within member countries, they have draconian measures in place to make sure everything imported outside the EU gets slugged duty, VAT and is not a pleasant experience.

The USA surprises me I must admit. The ability to buy direct from Japan is there, US import costs are relatively low yet people still pay off the wall prices. In Australia, the official price is high but due to the intense competition from Asian neighbours actual buying prices are reasonable.
Amazingly low prices...
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables

Last edited by Masterlu; 08-30-2014 at 12:17 PM. Reason: Links to non-sponsors is against forum rules.
Old 08-30-2014, 09:45 AM

I like the sound the build but I do not like the look they look old not classic as in Heathkit old.

Also for less money I think Ayre is a better buy do not get me wrong Accuphase is very good gear. just IMO
Old 08-30-2014, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meltemi View Post
Accuphase is a small company (less than 100 People, 35 qualified engineers amongst them). Please read the English translations of two interviews on their homepage under Review.
The company manufactures about 6'000 Units a year. Two thirds are sold in Japan directly via retailers (no wholesalers), so only about 2'000 go to the rest of the world.
The Accuphase managment never wanted to grow the company beyond their 100 employees.

Falling prices for new models in Europe are not the result of a pricing policy, but rather the result of the weak exchange rate of the Yen.
The Yen was 132 for 1 Euro 12 months ago. Today it is 137 for 1 Euro. Not enough to make any diifference.

Understand that Euro and USA distributors pay significantly less at wholesale than that to buy those exact items. They alone set pricing in Europe and USA- they have a choice.

Last edited by Masterlu; 08-30-2014 at 12:18 PM. Reason: Links to non-sponsors is against forum rules.
Old 08-30-2014, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garth View Post
I like the sound the build but I do not like the look they look old not classic as in Heathkit old.

Also for less money I think Ayre is a better buy do not get me wrong Accuphase is very good gear. just IMO
Really? Have you compared Ayre SACD to Accuphase SACD? The Ayre sounded way behind to me. The $10 K Ayre DX-5 was based on a Chinese built Oppo and Accuphase is a thoroughbred with ultra stable drives (built in house) and SACD rendition second to none in their price bracket IMO.
Old 08-30-2014, 02:22 PM

Yes I have compared Accuphase DP-500 with Ayre CX7-MP, Ayre player is way more musical, and soundstage much larger. Sold the Accuphase and bought the Ayre.

The DX-5 has got an Oppo drive, but the rest has been completely changed by Ayre.
I wouldn't mind putting my DX-5 DSD next to your DP-720 and find out the differences.

I love my Accuphase E-600, but the DP-500 was not very good for the money. (IMHO)
Old 08-30-2014, 07:20 PM

if you paid US prices then Accuphase will not always be good value for money. To compare directly, Ayre in this country is a lot more expensive than in the USA and Accuphase is cheaper than over there. To my ears Ayre looks and sounds inferior to the DP-700 by a margin but YMMV. I also shudder at the thought of using cheap Chinese drives in supposedly upmarket players.
Old 08-30-2014, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imprezap2 View Post
Yes I have compared Accuphase DP-500 with Ayre CX7-MP, Ayre player is way more musical, and soundstage much larger. Sold the Accuphase and bought the Ayre.

The DX-5 has got an Oppo drive, but the rest has been completely changed by Ayre.
I wouldn't mind putting my DX-5 DSD next to your DP-720 and find out the differences.

I love my Accuphase E-600, but the DP-500 was not very good for the money. (IMHO)

I just had my DX5 upgraded and played it head to head with the top of the line Accuphase and the Accuphase was better but very close the accuphase is 16,000 the Ayre less than 10. And this is just IMO the Ayre is just out of the box