AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Wilson Audio

Wilson Audio Authentic Excellence

Old 12-23-2020, 02:03 PM

javis 1, I'm back home from my surgery. It went well but I think I got too much anesthesia. I'm 145 pounds and about 4-5% body fat. A lot of anesthesia meds go to fat and I don't have any. So when calculating doses I probably should have received about 75-80%. For some reason (I never had surgery before) I calculated how many miles I walked over the last 10 years, since I won't be doing any for the next two months (have one surgery to go). It was 25,000 miles + 10,000. So I have walked the circumference of the earth. It's going to be vary hard not to walk.

I feel I need to make a comment on your very appropriate viewpoint. I recently watched a video by this guy on youtube who said that all things considered the Harbeth PC3 was his favorite all time speaker that he would live with the rest of his life. This was because it was a bookshelf system that he could just on the spur of the moment kick back and listen to. We all have our preferences. I respect your feelings.

I will make one comment on the XVX. If you have never owned one it is difficult to appreciate the manufacturing competence necessary to create such a piece of gear. If there is an error in tolerance it will show up somewhere. It has to. I am very picky about such things. I honestly don't see how Wilson did it. Every piece has to be perfectly manufactured. The fact that they have this type of competence, I truly appreciate. Also, Wilson is a great group of folks. They are genuine. The real deal.

I don't fully understand the Wilson approach but it works. The first time I heard the XVX it was badly misaligned. Both sides. One side worse than the other. I knew the speaker was something special. The sound was just different. I honestly can't explain it. The treble seemed so delicate, refined, detailed. But the sound stage was lower than the Alexx and off to the right a little.

The first correction fixed the height of the sound stage and re-centered it. The second correction absolutely focused the sound. You could hear it come into focus. Like a perfect set of reading glasses. All I can say is that when I have had a person sitting in my seat and I'm sitting beside him that perfect focus did not change. The XVX sounds superb across a range not just one seat. I don't fully understand this.

Also, for the best listening experience, all Wilson speakers provide repeatable on axis listening for the tweeters to your ears. Most folks I think like to listen on axis or at least in the same spot. I love the repeatable setup with any Wilson speaker.

I have owned three Wilsons. I have not found them finicky at all. From all I can tell Harbeths are superb speakers. I have read about them and listened to the head engineer/designer. Very impressive.

However, I want the full range system. I want to hear the full range of the organ. I want to hear the Saint Saens full range or Heart Beats on the moon that pressurizes you ears. I could name many discs that the Harbeths can only manage a weak facsimile of that a full XVX system can render with tremendous weight dynamic range and clarity.

At the moment I am listening to Mahler 8th the last half with the volume at 74% on the D1100. The range is between .12 to about 100 watts peak hold. It is crystal clear and so beautiful. Doesn't even sound loud but it is. You simply can't get this with a 7" driver and a 1" driver in a 12"x12"x24" wood box.

Best

Charles
p.s. I have never heard Harbeths but am sure that in their class they are among the best sounding. Years ago I bought my father a pair of Thiel 2.2's. I found their sound amazing. And I still remember my DQ10's.

Most recent updates: AQ Diamond USB replaces AQ Coffee; Wilson Audio Specialties Alexx replaced by Wilson Audio Specialties XVX Chronosonic; new subwoofer crossover; new Galaxy Grey Thors Hammer; Wilson Pedestals
Amps: McIntosh 1.25KW’s (3) set on floor on custom made cultured marble slabs
Preamp and DAC: McIntosh D1100
Sources: McIntosh MCD1100 SACD player, MVP881 BR player, MVP851 DVD player, MR87 tuner, Marantz 510LV Laser Disc player, ASUS laptop USB (JRiver Media Center 23)
Speakers: Wilson Audio Specialties XVX Chronosonic
Sub-woofer: Wilson Audio Specialties Thor’s Hammer (1) horizontal lie and Wilson Watch Controller (abbr: WC)
Cables main system: Audioquest Wel Signature speaker cables and balanced IC (preamp to amps); Wel Signature AES/EBU balanced digital IC for CD playback; Audioquest Diamond optical (1) for tuner, (1) for BR player, and (1) for LD player for total of (3); Diamond USB cable; McIntosh MCT cable for SACD playback; Dragon power cords (5 HC cords and 3 source cords for total of 8); Thunder HC power cord for tuner; cables for DVD player not listed
Cables subwoofer system: Audioquest Redwood speaker cable (1); Wolf balanced subwoofer IC from WC to amp; Wind balanced IC from preamp to WC; Hurricane HC (2) and Dragon HC (1) power cords
Power conditioners: Audioquest Niagara 7000 (1) and Niagara 5000 (3); (4) dedicated 20-amp lines with no. 10 wire straight out of fuse box
Isolation: Wilson Pedestals
Cabinet: Double Custom Woodwork & Design (CWD) solid walnut cabinet on large casters; holds all sources and preamp; also, Niagara 7000; 11 feet minimum distance from speakers
Acoustic Treatments: Room and Echo Tunes
AC: Dedicated to this room only, an ultra-high efficiency and quiet recently installed Ruud split system 3-ton heat pump.
Room (mancave): 40’L x 15.5’W A-frame; max ceiling height 8’ min 5’; wall within wall construction built of 2 x 6’s; built over garage with custom hardwood floor with gym seal with over 40 Lowes stiffened wooden I-beams supporting floor; complete isolation from rest of house.

Last edited by Charles; 12-24-2020 at 02:59 AM.
Old 12-23-2020, 06:45 PM

Charles, I took offense at your attempt to diminish my Harbeth driver! It is actually 200mm or 7.87 inches... Not 7.

Yes, XVX does things that a Harbeth speaker cannot. A Ferrari can do things a Honda cannot. If you drive your XVX like you would drive a Ferrari at the track, then the Harbeth and the Honda can only watch from the grandstand... Do you?
Old 12-23-2020, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
Charles, I took offense at your attempt to diminish my Harbeth driver! It is actually 200mm or 7.87 inches... Not 7.

Yes, XVX does things that a Harbeth speaker cannot. A Ferrari can do things a Honda cannot. If you drive your XVX like you would drive a Ferrari at the track, then the Harbeth and the Honda can only watch from the grandstand... Do you?
Serge, it all depends on my mood. It never goes over 120 watts peak hold. I recently downloaded the full albums Credence Clearwater Revival at 192/24. It is spectacular. CC is an iconic Cajun band and I lived in N.O.LA for about 5 years. I have to say my main thing back in those days were girls and drinking. Never cared much for college. Also played a lot of bridge with a fellow (Hispanic) with the best mind mathematical or otherwise on the planet. He went to MIT post grad and got a PH.D in applied mathematics. Then became chairman of the EE department at Boston University for many years. When I saw his math prowess, I said forget it. I'm going to med school, but I always loved math and science.

We played a lot of bridge together. Huge amount. I never beat him that I remember in chess. I've met and know a lot of very very smart people. You would be amazed at the circle I run in but he had/has the best mind I have ever encountered.

The CC albums brought back all those memories. So I started at about 1-2 watts. Sounded great. Plenty loud. Then the other day I turned it up to 60-100 watts. Sounded even better. Sounded like they were in the room very natural vibrant and alive, like you are there.

I have never heard a speaker like an XVX. You have to experience it to believe it. It's a different animal.

Best

Charles

p.s. try "I Heard it on the Grapevine". The instrumental at the end probably lasts 3-5 minutes and is thrilling. Many other thrilling tracks. 67 in all. Exquisitely recorded Blues.

Last edited by Charles; 12-23-2020 at 07:23 PM.
Old 12-23-2020, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Serge, it all depends on my mood. It never goes over 120 watts peak hold. I recently downloaded the full albums Credence Clearwater Revival at 192/24. It is spectacular. CC is an iconic Cajun band and I lived in N.O.LA for about 5 years. I have to say my main thing back in those days were girls and drinking. Never cared much for college. Also played a lot of bridge with a fellow (Hispanic) with the best mind mathematical or otherwise on the planet. He went to MIT post grad and got a PH.D in applied mathematics. Then became chairman of the EE department at Boston University for many years. When I saw his math prowess, I said forget it. I'm going to med school, but I always loved math and science.

We played a lot of bridge together. Huge amount. I never beat him that I remember in chess. I've met and know a lot of very very smart people. You would be amazed at the circle I run in but he had/has the best mind I have ever encountered.

The CC albums brought back all those memories. So I started at about 1-2 watts. Sounded great. Plenty loud. Then the other day I turned it up to 60-100 watts. Sounded even better. Sounded like they were in the room very natural vibrant and alive, like you are there.

I have never heard a speaker like an XVX. You have to experience it to believe it. It's a different animal.

Best

Charles

p.s. try "I Heard it on the Grapevine". The instrumental at the end probably lasts 3-5 minutes and is thrilling. Many other thrilling tracks. 67 in all. Exquisitely recorded Blues.
I have enjoyed CCR album as well over the years. I have not had the pleasure of listening to the XVX but have spent a decent amount of time with the Alexandrias back in the day. They were setup in a very large room. Virtually the whole first floor of a commercial building/HiFi store. They projected and imaged a soundstage that would easily match a small ensemble with tight focus and palpable imaging. Not the whole orchestra obviously, there are no speakers such as that YET...

The big Wilson speakers are very impressive but they are most impressive when given adequate room to breathe their soundstage out like they are capable of. The sheer size of the speaker comes into play in very large spaces without a doubt. Small speakers sound tinny and strained filling out a big acoustic space and going louder usually makes things worse as they start to distort.

I listen in a 30x30 room with peaks typically under 80dB for most of my listening. I just don't like my music very loud. Drum solos are entertaining but that is not the bulk of my listening. Hearing distorted guitars at 100dB+ or more is not for me anymore either. I had fun with that in my teen years at Rock concerts. My ears were ringing after AC/DC concert at Madison Square Garden for two days in the 80's...

So for my listening pleasure, even the Harbeth with a 7.87 inch driver is enough but I would not mind stepping up to the Wilson Sabrina X for example. I had tons of fun listening to a pair of Sophias, Sashas and Alexia in a smaller room back in the day. I cannot say that one was "profoundly" better than the other. Obvious differences across the line but in the grand scheme of things, all were perfectly enjoyable in their own way and each were more than capable of filling the acoustic space with a wide and deep soundstage and sound uncongested and unrestrained at the SPLs of reasonable listening levels.

The XVX is on another level, I am sure, as is the WAMM.

Enjoy the XVX.
Old 12-23-2020, 07:53 PM

Old 12-23-2020, 08:07 PM

Quote:
I’m very familiar with that set-up!
Old 12-23-2020, 11:10 PM

Quote:
I have enjoyed CCR album as well over the years. I have not had the pleasure of listening to the XVX but have spent a decent amount of time with the Alexandrias back in the day. They were setup in a very large room. Virtually the whole first floor of a commercial building/HiFi store. They projected and imaged a soundstage that would easily match a small ensemble with tight focus and palpable imaging. Not the whole orchestra obviously, there are no speakers such as that YET...

The big Wilson speakers are very impressive but they are most impressive when given adequate room to breathe their soundstage out like they are capable of. The sheer size of the speaker comes into play in very large spaces without a doubt. Small speakers sound tinny and strained filling out a big acoustic space and going louder usually makes things worse as they start to distort.

I listen in a 30x30 room with peaks typically under 80dB for most of my listening. I just don't like my music very loud. Drum solos are entertaining but that is not the bulk of my listening. Hearing distorted guitars at 100dB+ or more is not for me anymore either. I had fun with that in my teen years at Rock concerts. My ears were ringing after AC/DC concert at Madison Square Garden for two days in the 80's...

So for my listening pleasure, even the Harbeth with a 7.87 inch driver is enough but I would not mind stepping up to the Wilson Sabrina X for example. I had tons of fun listening to a pair of Sophias, Sashas and Alexia in a smaller room back in the day. I cannot say that one was "profoundly" better than the other. Obvious differences across the line but in the grand scheme of things, all were perfectly enjoyable in their own way and each were more than capable of filling the acoustic space with a wide and deep soundstage and sound uncongested and unrestrained at the SPLs of reasonable listening levels.

The XVX is on another level, I am sure, as is the WAMM.

Enjoy the XVX.
Sege, thank you. I think you hit the nail on the head in your last post. I would love to hear your Harbeth's to understand their magic. I still like to play it loud.

Best

Charles
Old 12-24-2020, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still-One View Post
I’m very familiar with that set-up!
Jim, not nearly as elegant but mine. Owe you big debt for helping me with the color. Every time I climb my stairs and I look at the XVX I still can't believe I bought a pair.

Best, Charles and wish you the best for the Holidays.

I have 108" between the tweeters and sit 11' away. Really sounds nice. It's called on axis listening. Each tweeter is aimed exactly at my ears for precise on axis treble response. Wilson is the only company that recommends this throughout their line and you get zero harshness or edge. It works.

Last edited by Charles; 12-24-2020 at 12:54 AM.
Old 12-24-2020, 01:33 AM

Charles, a nice room to kick back and soak up the sounds of some of the worlds finest gear under one roof.
Old 12-24-2020, 01:56 AM

Serge, it really is. Behind the sofa is an additional 25'. The room is totally isolated. My wife is asleep at the other end of the house with a heavy door closed. We have a large house and my son recently moved out. So I had a large heavy solid door with about 1,000 dollars of locks installed for the MB. If someone gets through our exterior defenses they won't get through that door. I'm at the other end upstairs 200 plus feet away.

We've had two outages tonight with generator running. AQ Niagara's (three 5000's one 7000) work perfectly protecting all the gear. When the power goes there's no pop. It's just like turning it off normally and then the gear comes back on.

Last edited by Charles; 12-24-2020 at 02:12 AM.