AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Bryston Audio

Bryston Audio Unlimited, Unprecedented, Unequalled

Old 05-02-2015, 08:24 AM

MEMO: To All Bryston Customers
SUBJECT: Middle T Review – Soundstage Ultra

May, 2015

Hi Folks,

Please see the attached link from Soundstage ‘Ultra’ Magazine – review of the Bryston Middle T Loudspeaker.

SoundStage! Ultra | SoundStageUltra.com (UltraAudio.com)

Favorite Quotes:

• “The Bryston Middle T has a lot going for it. It’s an unquestionable value: a big, three-way speaker that will flat-out rock without losing its audiophile street cred. That’s a tough balancing act, but the Middle T handles it well.”

• “Ultimately, the Bryston Middle T is an easy recommendation -- not for a particular type of listener, but for almost everyone.”

Jeff Fritz
Soundstage Ultra Magazine
Old 05-04-2015, 01:53 PM

MEMO: To All Bryston Customers
SUBJECT: Bryston Mini A Speaker Strikes Again!

May, 2015

“James

I have had my Bryston Mini A’s now for a few weeks and after some break-in time, I am happy to report that the sound is nothing short of incredible.

I replaced a pair of (EDIT) which were significantly more expensive and I would have to say that the Mini A’s are a clear step up in performance.
The real low bass that comes out of these dinky little boxes is at times just amazing. Dynamics are stellar and imaging as well - I can’t wait to hear the Mini T’s in our showroom!

Whoever is responsible for the design of your loudspeakers knows their stuff and has a damn good ear (by my humble estimation).
Thanks again for the sweet deal.

When I recover from the expense, I might hit you up for a deal on a DAC and eventually an integrated amp.

Consider the Kool Aid fully drank….”

Marc Mable
Design Consultant
Maverick Integration
Old 05-16-2015, 12:26 PM

Hi James,

Very nice set up there James in Munich.

Those Mini T's... tell ya can't praise them enough!

Had a friend at my place last week and he was shocked and awed how they performed. Lol,I should have pictured his O face when The Duke Ellington big band Brass's line kicked in propelled on 4BSST2/BP6 12:00 o'clock..creating an amazing stadium size stage and dynamics - ha rare moments...made my day.

Are this one of the new Target line stands? Waiting for the MR 24" for my newest second Pair of Mini T's.

Itshak Vodzilovsky
Old 05-20-2015, 07:38 AM

HI - got asked this question on another forum but am reposting it here as requested.

You are NEVER listening in the NEARFIELD or the DIRECT SOUND from the speaker.

HI Folks

Many times I get asked why Bryston is not concerned when placing our speakers in normal domestic audio rooms as opposed to acoustically treated rooms.

The two most critical parts of any loudspeaker system choice is the listening ‘ROOM’ and the loudspeakers ‘POLAR’ response. Recognizing how the room imposes its boundaries (floor, ceiling, walls) on the speaker and how that speaker radiates its energy (polar response) into a specific room is critical to the understanding of the overall performance of any speaker and it is no different for the Bryston loudspeakers.

When you are listening to a loudspeaker in a room you are always listening to balance between the ‘Direct Sound’ and the ‘Reflected Sound’ from the boundaries of the room – this is called the ‘Power Response or Sound Power.’ It is that balance between direct and reflected energy which changes depending on the frequency radiation pattern (polar response) of the given speaker and the boundaries of the room the speaker is placed in.

The ‘direct sound’ is the sound radiating from the front of the loudspeaker and the ‘reflected sound’ is all the sound your ears perceive after the sound waves have interacted with all the different boundaries in the room. It is important given real world conditions that the on axis response and the off axis frequency response of a loudspeaker be as uniform as possible.

Recognize when you listen to a speaker in a room you are NEVER listening in the NEARFIELD or the DIRECT SOUND from the speaker.

This on and off axis characteristic is generally referred to as Polar response. The smoother and more uniform the on and off axis polar response of the speaker the better the tonal balance between the direct sound and the reflected sound will be. In other words, the reflected sound will have the same overall tonal balance and sonic characteristics as the direct sound if ‘on and off’ polar response is smooth and even. This approach also provides the optimum overall 3-dimensional soundstage presentation as well. The Bryston Model-T is a very wide dispersion design so the polar response is very flat on axis and very uniform all the way out to more than 75 degrees off axis in both directions from center to provide a very wide and even listening window.

So the boundaries of the room are used to enhance the listening experience by providing a sense of spaciousness and naturalness to the listening experience. We all listen in real rooms and our brains are use to interpreting the overall direct and reflected energy in a specific manner. I find rooms that treat the reflections by trying to absorb them just makes the listening experience very unnatural and almost anechoic.

Also remember that you cannot absorb all frequencies equally as the thickness of the absorption material affects the frequencies it can affect. So a few inches of fiberglass or whatever absorptive material will only affect a specific range of speakers – generally midranges and highs so it creates an energy imbalance in the room.

Many people will disagree with me but I have gone the route of serious absorption in many of my rooms and have always reverted back to less absorption is better and I much prefer Dispersion over Absorption. That’s my story and I am sticking to it !

James
Old 05-20-2015, 11:20 AM

James:

Given the stellar off-axis specifications of the Model T, is it safe to assume that toe-in is probably not necessary in most rooms with adequate distance from side and back walls?
Supporting System: McIntosh MX122 A/V Center; MC205 Amplifier; Bryston 14bSST2 Amplifier; PS Audio P10 Power Reconditioner; Revel Salon 2 Mains; Revel Voice 2 CC; JL Audio f113v2 (2); JL Audio CR-1 Crossover; Focal IC1002 Surrounds
Old 05-20-2015, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scirica View Post
James:

Given the stellar off-axis specifications of the Model T, is it safe to assume that toe-in is probably not necessary in most rooms with adequate distance from side and back walls?
Correct - toe in is less of an issue. I tend to place my speakers far apart to get the widest soundstage so I tilt them in so each speaker is hitting the appropriate left/right shoulder at the listening position.

james

Last edited by James Tanner - Bryston; 05-20-2015 at 01:14 PM.
Old 05-20-2015, 01:59 PM

I'll probably be placing mine just shy of 10' apart in my living room. Hoping that works to my satisfaction!
Supporting System: McIntosh MX122 A/V Center; MC205 Amplifier; Bryston 14bSST2 Amplifier; PS Audio P10 Power Reconditioner; Revel Salon 2 Mains; Revel Voice 2 CC; JL Audio f113v2 (2); JL Audio CR-1 Crossover; Focal IC1002 Surrounds
Old 05-20-2015, 02:23 PM

Quote:
I'll probably be placing mine just shy of 10' apart in my living room. Hoping that works to my satisfaction!
How far back are you sitting?

james
Old 05-21-2015, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Tanner - Bryston View Post
How far back are you sitting? james
Around 13 feet. Any suggestions?
Old 05-21-2015, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Around 13 feet. Any suggestions?
OK that sounds about right - I usually try to sit roughly the distance between the speakers or a bit further.

james