AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shunyata Research

Shunyata Research Designing Silent Systems for recording, film and music

Old 09-26-2012, 07:39 PM

Default Power cord priority

Currently I'm running some Shunyata power cords, Python Helix Alpha to my Hydra 8, Black Mamba HC CX to the integrated, and a Black Mamba CX to the CDP. I'm thinking about getting another cable but was trying to figure out where I would/could benefit the most?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2-Channel System: Luxman L590Aii, D-05 CD/SACD ,VPI Classic 3 (Rolling Stone photo shoot table), VPI SDS, Shelter 501 MKII , Wilson Audio Duette,Shunyata Denali 6000T, Anaconda Zitron, Alpha Digital, and Black Mamba power cables, Tara Labs RSC Air 2 speaker wire, RSC Prime M1 IC's.
Old 09-26-2012, 07:48 PM

Don
My order of preference.
Best PC - Hydra to wall
Next Best PC- Integrated to Hyrda
Third Best - CDP to Hydra

Jim
Old 09-26-2012, 07:54 PM

This is why I ask because my list is different:

Best PC to integrated
Next best to CDP
And last the Hydra feed (was figuring the Hydra's job was to clean things up for the rest)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2-Channel System: Luxman L590Aii, D-05 CD/SACD ,VPI Classic 3 (Rolling Stone photo shoot table), VPI SDS, Shelter 501 MKII , Wilson Audio Duette,Shunyata Denali 6000T, Anaconda Zitron, Alpha Digital, and Black Mamba power cables, Tara Labs RSC Air 2 speaker wire, RSC Prime M1 IC's.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:33 PM
Just Pure Lucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonBattles View Post

Best PC to integrated
Next best to CDP
And last the Hydra feed (was figuring the Hydra's job was to clean things up for the rest)
My priority which I learned with the cord that put Shunyata on the PC map (King Cobra Version I) was and my thinking therefore is as follows:

Best on CDP
Next best to Integrated (and try to trade up so it matches the CDP)
Hydra

I began to believe in PC's after the King Cobra (Ver I) -- everything else was stock cords and it was amazing & I held many auditions at the house w/my friends. They walked out shaking their heads and holding their wallets.

What you can also do is experiment -- put stock cords on everything and move the best Shunyata cord around and ascertain the best configuration-- and go from there. Could be fun.

Best

Bob
Analogue Preamp:VAC Renaissance SE Phono stage in Silver Flake with XLR Output Option & with Nordost Valhalla XLR's.
Analogue Sources:SME 20/2 w/SME V arm & Nordost Odin 2 Tone Arm Cable, Palo Santos Presentation Cartridge & Akai GX-400D Reel-to-Reel w/relapped heads by JRF Magnetic Sciences. Akai RC-17 cabled remote (original owner since 1974).
Vibration Control:TT on HRS M3X2-1921 shelf.
Speakers:Wilson Audio Alexia V (on order in Ferrari Argento Silver/Parchment grills sitting on Acoustic Diode Kit).
Power Cables:4 Nordost Odin Supreme Reference on amps, preamp & DAC. Ansuz Acoustics C2 on Transport & Clock.
Power Distribution:Ansuz Mainz D3 Distributor & Ansuz Mainz C2 1M Power Cable
Power Outlets:Furutech GTX-D NCF (R) duplex outlet, GTX Wall Plate & Duplex Cover (x2) on dedicated, same panel phase, 20A breakers.
Speaker Cables:2M Nordost Odin 2 Supreme Reference on Nordost Sort Lifts.
Signal Cables:Nordost Odin XLR's on dCS DAC & Amps.
Digital Cables: Nordost Odin 2's, 110-ohm AES/EBU on dCS Transport to DAC.
Clock Cables:5 each 75 ohm 1.25M Nordost Valhalla BNC/BNC Digital
Ethernet Cable: WireWorld Platinum 1M Starlight® 8 Twinax
Headphones:Vintage Koss Pro IV AA.
RCM: Audio Desk PRO
Tube Test Gear:Mint late '60's/calibrated Heathkit TT-1A, MaxiMatcher Power Amp & Preamp & Space Tech Labs ATT-3.02 tube test sets.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:38 PM

Quote:

Best PC to integrated
Next best to CDP
Shunyata's recommended priority list can be found here: Shunyata Research: Products: Power Cables
Old 09-26-2012, 09:08 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:

Best PC to integrated
Next best to CDP
Don,
I agree with Jim's prioritization scheme, and I believe it's consisent with Shunayata's recommendations.

Regarding new cords, you could get the new Venom3 Source for low current devices e.g. CD players, DACs, etc.

I did find that using a Black Mamba on the phono stage made a big improvement over a Venom3, however.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 09-26-2012, 09:09 PM
McKlipschead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still-One
Don
My order of preference.
Best PC - Hydra to wall
Next Best PC- Integrated to Hyrda
Third Best - CDP to Hydra

Jim
+1

Sent from my iPhone using A.Aficionado
Old 09-26-2012, 11:40 PM
Just Pure Lucky

You know Don there isn't an absolute answer to this thread.

If you want the quick and dirty and not experiment yourself & thus rely on either someone elses opinion or on Shunyatas' nice chart, just remember it is all intra-dependent on your overall component selection & your own ears. The lazy way may actually fool you.

I haven't been on Shunyata web site in 5 years or more, but recall Grant saying he wanted to make a cord/conditioner/component hierachy chart to advise clients on a tiered basis concerning those items, etc. Nice that he did and that was the first I've seen it. I wouldn't disagree with it one iota nor would I on the above opinions.

It would be nice if you'd do your own analysis/experimentation and then advise without relying on this thread nor Shunyatas' chart -- but, like I said, some like a fast answer so they can move onto wherever the audio winds take them.

Best

Bob
Analogue Preamp:VAC Renaissance SE Phono stage in Silver Flake with XLR Output Option & with Nordost Valhalla XLR's.
Analogue Sources:SME 20/2 w/SME V arm & Nordost Odin 2 Tone Arm Cable, Palo Santos Presentation Cartridge & Akai GX-400D Reel-to-Reel w/relapped heads by JRF Magnetic Sciences. Akai RC-17 cabled remote (original owner since 1974).
Vibration Control:TT on HRS M3X2-1921 shelf.
Speakers:Wilson Audio Alexia V (on order in Ferrari Argento Silver/Parchment grills sitting on Acoustic Diode Kit).
Power Cables:4 Nordost Odin Supreme Reference on amps, preamp & DAC. Ansuz Acoustics C2 on Transport & Clock.
Power Distribution:Ansuz Mainz D3 Distributor & Ansuz Mainz C2 1M Power Cable
Power Outlets:Furutech GTX-D NCF (R) duplex outlet, GTX Wall Plate & Duplex Cover (x2) on dedicated, same panel phase, 20A breakers.
Speaker Cables:2M Nordost Odin 2 Supreme Reference on Nordost Sort Lifts.
Signal Cables:Nordost Odin XLR's on dCS DAC & Amps.
Digital Cables: Nordost Odin 2's, 110-ohm AES/EBU on dCS Transport to DAC.
Clock Cables:5 each 75 ohm 1.25M Nordost Valhalla BNC/BNC Digital
Ethernet Cable: WireWorld Platinum 1M Starlight® 8 Twinax
Headphones:Vintage Koss Pro IV AA.
RCM: Audio Desk PRO
Tube Test Gear:Mint late '60's/calibrated Heathkit TT-1A, MaxiMatcher Power Amp & Preamp & Space Tech Labs ATT-3.02 tube test sets.

Last edited by vintage_tube; 09-26-2012 at 11:43 PM.
Old 09-26-2012, 11:46 PM
Lower Provo River, UT

Bob you are correct. I have had many show exhibits saved by Shunyata. But you need to try different configurations to optimize any system. The moment you set absolutes is moment you fail.

As always YMMV
Old 09-27-2012, 02:23 AM

Jim, I'm sure you and Shunyata are correct. Bob, your latest post hit home and playing around some is half the fun. What would make things really simple is if all my cables were 15 amp, of course I can always get the adapter's but would need two of them to do this right. Then as suggested I could go put all "stock" cables in place and plug in various Shunyata cables, one at a time, on all of my components and see what sounds best on what. I'm especially interested in hearing a Shunyata cable on my turntable.