AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Tape Machines

Tape Machines Everything Analog

Old 06-04-2015, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by o0OBillO0o View Post
Ken neat. please let me know when you compare, and what album you used, 2X DSD to the Vinyl disc version.

Have you used the built in Sample Rate Conversion (SRC) in the Tascam unit? How well does the auto track split work?
I selected the LP's only cause they were next in cue.

1.) Crusaders "The Good and Bad Times" Love Nancy Wilson's voice!!
2.) Stanley Turrentine "Sugar"
3.) Grover Washington "Soul Box"

Have you used the built in Sample Rate Conversion (SRC) in the Tascam unit?
It is set to "on" by default. I don't have any digital sources to be imputed.

How well does the auto track split work?
It's pretty straight forward...... but you should add a USB keyboard to speed the process up. Since I have the master-slave config setup into my PC. I use the DA3000 in monitoring mode. The software I use is Goldwave for cueing, track splitting, and file creating. Izotope RX3 for final authoring.

Ken
Sonus Faber Cremona, (2) JL Audio F110 subs, Squeeze Server v7.9 Windows 2012 Server 25TB, Audio Metallurgy GA-0 XLR & RCA, Wireworld Silver Eclipse speaker cable, PS Audio Power Plant Premier (2), WireWorld Silver Power Cables, Tascam DA3000

Last edited by blacsno; 06-04-2015 at 07:22 PM.
Old 06-04-2015, 11:53 PM
Rebellious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacsno View Post
I selected the LP's only cause they were next in cue.

1.) Crusaders "The Good and Bad Times" Love Nancy Wilson's voice!!
2.) Stanley Turrentine "Sugar"
3.) Grover Washington "Soul Box"

Have you used the built in Sample Rate Conversion (SRC) in the Tascam unit?
It is set to "on" by default. I don't have any digital sources to be imputed.

How well does the auto track split work?
It's pretty straight forward...... but you should add a USB keyboard to speed the process up. Since I have the master-slave config setup into my PC. I use the DA3000 in monitoring mode. The software I use is Goldwave for cueing, track splitting, and file creating. Izotope RX3 for final authoring.

Ken
Neat set-up. How does the 2XDSD dubs of Crusaders "The Good and Bad Times" saved to the Tascam DA-3000 sound when played back on the Tascam DA-3000 compared to listening to the Vinyl Disc ona Turntable?
Old 06-05-2015, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Ken neat. please let me know when you compare, and what album you used, 2X DSD to the Vinyl disc version.

Have you used the built in Sample Rate Conversion (SRC) in the Tascam unit? How well does the auto track split work?
earlier post........

Last but not least I did do a DSD v PCM via MDA1000 comparison. I had to make a raw file at 24 bit 176.4Khz for the MDA1000. The DA3000 result score was (9.5) and MDA1000 result score was also (9.5). Both had flaws…. DA3000 while quite good was still “bright” and “thin” in sound. The MDA1000 also while quite good was still “dull” but had a fuller more natural sound. These observation are all back to the turntable and the source. To me it’s the units ability to reproduce and not the file format..... IMO

Ken
Sonus Faber Cremona, (2) JL Audio F110 subs, Squeeze Server v7.9 Windows 2012 Server 25TB, Audio Metallurgy GA-0 XLR & RCA, Wireworld Silver Eclipse speaker cable, PS Audio Power Plant Premier (2), WireWorld Silver Power Cables, Tascam DA3000
Old 06-05-2015, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Friends,

Any interest in this?

Product: DA-3000 | TASCAM

Yes, I know it's a digital device. Still, it appears to have some promising capability.

There is also a Clock Generator that can be pair with it and multiple DA-3000s.

Product: CG-1000 | TASCAM

I've got some kind of interest growing in the home recording and vinyl archiving hobby..
Bill, it's just pretty. I almost want to say, "must have the precious".
Old 06-05-2015, 12:36 AM
Rebellious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacsno View Post
earlier post........

Last but not least I did do a DSD v PCM via MDA1000 comparison. I had to make a raw file at 24 bit 176.4Khz for the MDA1000. The DA3000 result score was (9.5) and MDA1000 result score was also (9.5). Both had flaws…. DA3000 while quite good was still “bright” and “thin” in sound. The MDA1000 also while quite good was still “dull” but had a fuller more natural sound. These observation are all back to the turntable and the source. To me it’s the units ability to reproduce and not the file format..... IMO

Ken
Ken- right- but the MDA1000 is a PCM DAC. Alberto did a review: [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__MAuavKBj4[/ame]

I may be mis reading.. are you saying "I did do a Vinyl Recording to 2XDSD file via the Tascam DA-3000 balanced outputs to a preamp versus a Vinyl Record to PCM file via the Tascam DA-3000 connected to a MDA1000 DAC to preamp."

What is this scoring methodology that you are using?

Thanks for the late night responses, this is all very exciting!
Old 06-05-2015, 02:17 PM

The scoring metric is a personal benchmark. If analog is a 10 how close can digital achieve in that respect.

Connection routing:
a.) C2300 to Linn Sondek (10) analog
b.) C2300 to MDA1000 (9.4) processing from 192khz to 96khz PCM, (9.5) 176.4khz PCM
c.) C2300 to DA3000 (7.0) processing from 192khz to 96khz PCM, (9.5) DSD

All connections are fully balance XLR analog and digital...

I'll repeat at the higher rates do get you close to 10. Yet both have nuance issues that won't allow either to be a 10! In this system that I own is confirming my theories. So I can't or won't say DSD is better or less than PCM. Purely from a cost of ownership and the ability to get close to analog. The DA3000 is clearly a hands down winner, just as long if you have no need to edit files. Now if McIntosh makes a seamless PCM/DSD DAC. with the SAME LOVE like MDA1000!!!

Last edited by blacsno; 06-21-2015 at 02:50 PM.
Old 06-05-2015, 02:41 PM

I didn't write this! On my system did confirm the contents of the article.....

DSD vs PCM

Direct-Stream Digital is simply a 1-bit digital audio format that is based on the Sigma-Delta encoding/decoding architecture, and in practice is commonly referred to as a DSD recording/file.

Many are not aware though that whether they are employed in the processing of PCM or DSD signals, all modern DAC chips are actually based on the same basic Sigma-Delta architecture. In short, the only real question is whether we're sending a PCM or DSD signal to be decoded by a Sigma-Delta DAC.

With respect to PCM, a typical DAC applies multi-bit modulation for converting incoming data into a Sigma-Delta signal, and then that signal is processed by a following Low-Pass Filter stage. DSD decoding skips the Sigma-Delta conversion part of the process as the signal is directly decoded by the DAC, after which it is then processed by the Low-Pass Filter stage.

The differences between the two processes are relatively minimal and somewhat akin to comparing 10 dimes with a 1-dollar bill and trying to determine which is better. In one case where you have a coin purse, 10 dimes is better. In the case where you have a wallet though, the dollar bill is preferable. In either case, you still have the exact same amount of currency. Likewise in the case of PCM vs. DSD, you still have the same amount of data being processed. It's simply a matter of how the decoding hardware (DAC) was constructed as to which format is preferable.

Therefore, no matter how you view it DSD and PCM are nothing more than different ways of looking at the exact same thing. While there are differences, where and when the data is converted is of little practical importance with respect to the end result.

In fact, during the recording process virtually all DSD recording are first converted into PCM for mixing, equalization and other "artistic" processing. Upon completion, the data is then converted back to DSD format and manufactured into discs of "so called" DSD recordings (SACD) for distribution to consumers. In addition, the majority of DSD recordings are actually converted from original PCM masters. One should note that most all such back-and-forth conversion is performed via software – not hardware.

In similar fashion, during DSD playback from a PC both the uDAC3 and Icon DAC employ a computer-resident ASIO driver along with a special USB communications chip that is contained within the NuForce product. Together, each of these works in cooperation with the other for achieving real-time DSD to PCM conversion.

One should also note that the interestingly enough, the DSD format was originally developed to facilitate conversion to the 44.1kHz CD standard. Hence, the PCM equivalent of a 2.8Mhz DSD file would be manifest as an 88.2kHz file at 20-bit resolution. Compared to a 24-bit PCM file, DSD delivers a dynamic range that is actually 24dB less. Similarly, a "double" 5.6Mhz DSD file is the equivalent of a PCM file recorded at 176.4kHz and 20-bit resolution.
Old 06-05-2015, 05:46 PM
Rebellious!

Ken- thanks to your comments and efforts I am putting the DA-3000 on the Christmas list (of gifts from me to me).