AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shindo Laboratory

Shindo Laboratory Sound Create Producer

Old 08-28-2011, 01:35 PM
Chief Toneologist

Default Shindo is cool - in more ways than one

One of the things that surprised me about the Shindo Cortese amp, is that it runs relatively cool for a class-A SET.

The Shindo website states the power consumption at 80W; while I believe that this is a bit on the conservative side, based on the heat that comes out of it, I don't think it's too much more than that - class-A is supposed to be 25% efficient (i.e. 3W of heat for every 1W of "sound") so the 80W is not hard to believe.

On the other hand, I've had similarly powered solid state and tubed class-A amps in my system (same room) that got REALLY hot and you could feel the heat a few feet away. And I've seen, heard and felt some class-A amps in stores that used 400W - per channel. Talk about room heaters.

I would enjoy the heck out of my Cortese even if it sucked 400W, but not having to worry about wasted heat is a very nice added bonus (it also makes me feel good about the tubes not being run too hard.)

Alberto
Old 08-28-2011, 01:52 PM

Alberto, the Cortese does run relatively cool for class a. Of course there are not that many tubes. The 10,000 hr life of the F2a tubes also speaks volumes about the conservative design.

While I don't feel a bit of difference in heat with the Shindo playing all day in my room, the ARC 210's with the combined total of 16 6550C's most definitely does warm up the room rather quickly.

Come to think of it, the Lamm M1.2's Class A monoblocks used to idle at 330w and over 700w each when pushing the pedal to the metal. I don't remember having any issues with heat though.

Class A is wonderful but the heat issues with some amps make them a no go in some cases. As much as I wanted to get all Krell amps for my theater, the though of having to sit in there for a few hours at a time with all the krell muscle heating up the room, I had to go with plan B. (Bryston).
Old 08-29-2011, 01:25 AM
chief tube tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
Alberto, the Cortese does run relatively cool for class a. Of course there are not that many tubes. The 10,000 hr life of the F2a tubes also speaks volumes about the conservative design.
Oh yes, at least 10,000 hours. I would say it is at least 2 times that amount, from experience. I use Cortese F2a serial number one with the original tubes.

-Matt

Last edited by pitch perfect; 08-29-2011 at 01:25 AM. Reason: typo
Old 08-29-2011, 09:58 AM
Chief Toneologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitchperfect View Post
Oh yes, at least 10,000 hours. I would say it is at least 2 times that amount, from experience. I use Cortese F2a serial number one with the original tubes.

-Matt
That's great to know, because my Cortese is on at least 20hrs a week (~5hrs each week-end day and ~2hrs for an evening listening session.)

The scary thing is that I'd listen even more if I didn't have a wife, two children and a job .

Alberto
Old 08-29-2011, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberto View Post

The scary thing is that I'd listen even more if I didn't have a wife, two children and a job .

Alberto
Alberto, which is the scary part?
Old 08-29-2011, 12:44 PM
Chief Toneologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
Alberto, which is the scary part?
Becoming the audiophile equivalent of Howard Hughes .

Locked in a room, just listening to music.

Alberto
Old 08-29-2011, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberto View Post
That's great to know, because my Cortese is on at least 20hrs a week (~5hrs each week-end day and ~2hrs for an evening listening session.)

Alberto
That means you listen ~1000 hrs per year. Matt said the F2a tube is good for at least 2x 10,000 hrs, so you're good for the next 20 years!
Old 08-29-2011, 08:11 PM
chief tube tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyC View Post
That means you listen ~1000 hrs per year. Matt said the F2a tube is good for at least 2x 10,000 hrs, so you're good for the next 20 years!
Oh yes, but like anything in life, though, things can break prematurely. But under normal use they should last years, no worries.

I'm also not saying that a tube with 20,000 hours will sound like a crisp, fresh new tube, of course.. but the robustness of the tube should be fine.

I just retubed my Dad's Fisher integrated amp -- He was still enjoying the original Fisher branded EL34 tubes that came with it from the mid 60's. It played fine, but there was a clear and distinct jump in performance when I swapped in a new set of EL34's.

-M
Old 09-10-2011, 01:14 PM

One thing that makes me a bit concerned about getting a Cortese is that I can’t find any sources for a F2a tube (except there is a single tube on Ebay at the moment). The Cortese amp seems to be quite popular – what happens in 10 years time when everyone is trying to find new tubes?
Old 09-10-2011, 08:12 PM
Chief Toneologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shindoug View Post
One thing that makes me a bit concerned about getting a Cortese is that I can’t find any sources for a F2a tube (except there is a single tube on Ebay at the moment). The Cortese amp seems to be quite popular – what happens in 10 years time when everyone is trying to find new tubes?
Actually there are 3 available from the same eBay seller all NOS.

Even if my Cortese becomes a worthless doorstop in 10 years - which I am sure it won't - I would have no regrets about buying it. Even if that time was 5 years, or even 3. The amount of musical enjoyment it's giving me is priceless.

Even though I am supremely confident that if you buy from an authorized Shindo dealer you will be taken care of - even years from now; if you have any concern about the F2A tubes, buy a spare set when you get the amp, or keep your eyes open on eBay. They are not common, but they are not unobtainium as some would lead you to believe (see current auctions on eBay for evidence.)

Frankly, I'd be much more worried about getting some complex fancy gear with circuit boards and ICs repaired in the future than keeping the Cortese running.

Alberto