AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > General Speaker Discussion

General Speaker Discussion Calling all Speakers

Old 11-07-2020, 06:02 PM

https://www.musicradar.com/news/the-...nitor-speakers
Old 11-07-2020, 06:02 PM

I probably sounded a bit flippant on my comment regrading rock and pop recordings. I didn't mean too. I should have said that rock and pop are basically studio creations, and don't exist outside of a studio anymore. Some of this stuff is very creative, (Read Geoff Emerick's book on recording the Beatles ) and then again some isn't.
Old 11-07-2020, 06:03 PM

“Studio monitor speakers are essentially designed to reveal a true picture of the audio you're creating. Whether you like this warts and all approach or not, this uncompromising picture of your mix balance means you can make critical choices about what might need changing, confident that what you’re hearing will translate to all other playback systems.

Because of this, monitors can be less pleasant-sounding, and in some cases more fatiguing, than standard hi-fi speakers, where the tonal balance is designed to enhance music for the average listener. So while a decent pair of studio monitor speakers may shine a light on some of the less optimal elements of your mix, they'll also help you fix them and enhance your abilities as a producer.”
Old 11-07-2020, 08:13 PM

What a waste of space. No criteria.
Old 11-07-2020, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
Because of this, monitors can be less pleasant-sounding, and in some cases more fatiguing, than standard hi-fi speakers, where the tonal balance is designed to enhance music for the average listener.
Not enhance. Just deliver what is there.
Old 11-07-2020, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post
Not enhance. Just deliver what is there.
What is there does not match what a human ear wants to hear. Since the days of Fletcher Munson studies in the 1930’s in fact.

You want the truth? You can’t handle the truth. It would be a lot easier if there was a standard in recording and reproducing. Except that it turns out we all perceive the same sound differently, so how can we even agree on a standard?
Old 11-07-2020, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
You want the truth? You can’t handle the truth. It would be a lot easier if there was a standard in recording and reproducing. Except that it turns out we all perceive the same sound differently, so how can we even agree on a standard?
Irrelevant. We differ but we all reference (or should be referencing) reproduced sound to what we hear live. Consequently, our differences cancel.

Last edited by Kal Rubinson; 11-08-2020 at 08:44 AM.
Old 11-07-2020, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post
Irrelevant. We differ but we all refernce (or should be referencing) reproduced sound to what we hear live. Consequently, our differences cancel.
Yet we have hundreds of various speakers designs with parameters that vary greatly. At best, reproducing live music on a hifi system is sticking to genres that can actually fit into the window of the dynamic range of the best media available to us, the power of the amplifiers, the power dissipation and SPL levels of the speaker, the bass response and size of the room to allow for bass frequencies in the lowest octaves to develop, not to mention the skill and the potential of both designers and their finished product.

Good luck with reproducing a rock concert or an orchestra with 110db swings at home. An acoustic guitar or a solo violin is ok but even a full range of the piano is challenging, 27Hz. How about a 5 string bass guitar at 28Hz? Organ at 8Hz, Tuba at 16? Nope.

We do ok but it’s no live music.
Old 11-07-2020, 11:58 PM

Regarding the "music radar" link, and we thank you for that, all the speakers listed were bridge monitors. nothing bigger than an 8 inch LF, and no qualifying information (data sheet)
So of course you can't reproduce an orchestral tutti in an average size room. But there are larger speakers built for monitoring recordings. The ATC SCM 100 and the JBL LSR6332 come to mind. both are capable of capturing a full orchestral tutti, and both have amazingly similar response curves. I've not heard the ATC but I've heard from others that they sound very much like the JBL's.
I would take Kal's position that the goal is to reproduce live music. As far as a recording is concerned the system should deliver what is there. If one is listening to a recording that is unlistenable, then the engineer wasn't doing his/her job.

Last edited by Petronius; 06-16-2021 at 12:17 PM.
Old 11-08-2020, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petronius View Post
Regarding the "music radar" link, and we thank you for that, all the speakers listed were bridge monitors. nothing bigger than an 8 inch LF, and no qualifying information (data sheet)
So of course you can't reproduce an orchestral tutti in an average size room. But there are larger speakers built for monitoring recordings. The ATC SCM 100 and the JBL LSR6332 come to mind. both are capable of capturing a full orchestral tutti, and both have amazingly similar response curves. I've not heard the ATC but I've heard from others that they sound very much like the JBL's.
I would take Kal's position that the goal is to reproduce live music. As far as a recording is concerned the system should deliver what is there. If one is listening to a recording to a recording that is unlistenable, then the engineer wasn't doing his/her job
Well, since you inquired, I shared my opinion based on what is considered common knowledge that studio speakers are typically striving for accuracy and are fairly unforgiving and audiophile speakers are voiced by their designers for musicality (most of the time). One criteria does not necessarily rule out the other but try to live with a studio speaker and let us know what you think long term.

After all, most recordings, the bulk of them, not the audiophile recordings, were all mastered on small studio speakers from what I’ve seen with some exceptions such as the high end studios.

Try to listen to a set of headphones with a flat response. First you won’t find a pair and second it will not be enjoyable. The human ear is not linear.